Who is John Galt?

Gravel on White River Trail

Rode Branson's new White River Valley Trail yesterday and was shocked to see the State Park folks (God Bless em) are putting gravel on the muddy sections of this trail. I saw enough gravel piled up to do most of the trail. Seems like a real exercise in futility as the rock is already disappearing into the depths of mud in places already done. Elsewhere, though, they have made a mess of things. There's one section on the Blue loop where they hit an off-camber section that wants to launch you into a ravine. The gravel is downright hazardous here. I want to write the park manager and tell him this is a mistake. Am I right? Seems to me a better idea is to armor the few sections that really need it, do reroutes where necessary and just stay off the parts where there are real problems.

Really, this trail drains pretty well. There's a couple of sections that are just going to be muddy. The tracks aren't going deep, so fixing any ruts won't be hard. I hate to see them dumping gravel all over the place. They did this at Honey Run, and I busted my a** on it a few years ago.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I got rained out half way through the system this past fall(iirc). I was impressed and thought major potential. Hadn't noticed any gravel at that time. MTB'n has huge potential in Branson area but a long way to go.?.?.