mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Garrison ND - Custer Mine

Are there any mtb trails in the Custer Mines right off of Hwy 83 at Garrison? I grew up in the area but never got into mountain biking until recently. Those mines would be great if someone in the area developed some trails. I'm going back there this weekend and would like to take my bike with if anyone knows of trails in the Garrison area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    As far as i have heard there are no trails, but people do freeride there. As in they just make a trail as they go, kinda like bike exploring!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I did do a little free riding out there last summer. It was ok, but not as great as I thought it would be. Basically I just rode on an old service road between the hills. The hills are all pretty steep and with all the weeds you really can't ride them. I think something could be made out there, but it would take a pretty good organization to do it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I bet a group of 10 people and 1 weekend could make a pretty sweet trail!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Do you live out there? I grew up out there, but have lived in Fargo for the past several years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Nope i live in moorhead, but am always looking for new places to ride that are relatively close!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Upinflames7 View Post
    Nope i live in moorhead, but am always looking for new places to ride that are relatively close!
    Have you been out to Cuyuna? Its in the iron mines by Crosby, MN. About a 1/2 hour from Brainerd. Driving to Custer mines is not worth it. But driving to Cuyuna is definetly worth it. Its the best mountain biking in the region. I've read some reports that its better than trails in CO or MT. They are fantastic. If you don't mind driving 4 hours for some incredible biking you won't be dissappointed at Cuyuna.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I will have to check that out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Cuyuna is definitely worth the trip. Heck, even some of the trails in Minneapolis are closer than Garrison.

Detroit Mountain (Detroit Lakes, MN) will have some killer trails open next year, and they are right next to the trails at Mountain View.

Also, don't forget to ride your local FM trails at MB Johnson and Gooseberry ( or even help build out Gooseberry).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Since we are making a list. Let me add to area trails.

1) I assume you found MB Johnson park already.
    2) Ft Ransom State park - They are used by horses and hikers but they are kind of fun. Basically you push your bike to the top of the hills. Then ride some up and downs along the top and then its a fun blast to the bottom
    3) Turtle River State park by Grand Forks. I've only been out there once a few years ago but it was a lot of fun
    4) Pipestone Reservior by Jamestown. I've never been out here but I have found info about an annual event. It sounds like a fun place.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for all the info! Now i have to find the time to visit all these places! I have found mb johnson and love it also have been riding gooseberry as well!