Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Freeride near Cedar Rapids?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mayonays 
#1 · (Edited)
I know this is reaching but is there any place near Cedar Rapids (say two hours or less) where someone can find any type of freeriding or even some kind of XC that has a couple decent drops/jumps? I recently moved to the area and have very little knowledge when it comes to the local mountain biking scene. I would also be very interested in any DJ areas as well. Thanks for the help guys and if anyone is looking to ride, pm me for sure. I am going through very bad bike withdraw at the moment.

Thanks!

#2 ·
#3 ·
Freeride in Iowa

I know this is reaching but is there any place near Cedar Rapids (say two hours or less) where someone can find any type of freeriding or even some kind of XC that has a couple decent drops/jumps? I recently moved to the area and have very little knowledge when it comes to the local mountain biking scene. I would also be very interested in any DJ areas as well. Thanks for the help guys and if anyone is looking to ride, pm me for sure. I am going through very bad bike withdraw at the moment.

Thanks!
There was a thread started this summer called "Iowa Thread" or "Iowa Photo Thread". There were probably 100 posts or more on there. Someone posted a drop, it was about 3-4 feet with a potential for 6-8 feet. I can't find this thread, it appears that MTBR gets rid of these old threads. If anyone reading this knows how to find a thread from the summer of 2012, please chime in. Anyway, I posted link to a thread where some riders near Des Moines were developing some "lines". It seems like it was on the outskirts of S.DesMoines although it seems like the locals call this W.DesMoines (but not on the west side). I wish I could give you a link but I can't find it.

#4 ·
There was a thread started this summer called "Iowa Thread" or "Iowa Photo Thread". There were probably 100 posts or more on there. Someone posted a drop, it was about 3-4 feet with a potential for 6-8 feet. I can't find this thread, it appears that MTBR gets rid of these old threads. If anyone reading this knows how to find a thread from the summer of 2012, please chime in. Anyway, I posted link to a thread where some riders near Des Moines were developing some "lines". It seems like it was on the outskirts of S.DesMoines although it seems like the locals call this W.DesMoines (but not on the west side). I wish I could give you a link but I can't find it.
Well I remembered today that I have some notes on trails in Iowa. I never found the thread but here is the text from it: "Is there anywhere near Des Moines where there are any good jumps/drops/ladder bridges?

Jumps and drops under construction at Summerset State Park; lots of good transitions to work with and already some lines to huck if you're willing..

We've got a monster line to refine during our next workday at Summerset... Ridgeline screamer into a 20 foot transition...

We'll be creating the lip and ironing out the transition, then shaping a 3+ foot tall berm to manage speed through a left turn. Fun line.

We'll need help with it, along with two other berms that manage speed in similar lines.

Please come turn some dirt!
"
I know it is a drive for you but it is freeride (well I haven't confirmed it), now you just have to link up with the riders or go explorin. I don't live out that way so I can't offer to go with.

#5 ·
Kind of late to the party here, but I'm new to Cedar Rapids myself (moved here in December). Beverly Park in CR is probably your best bet once it thaws out. Some fun stuff in there - definitely a few freeride inspired lines. Sugar Bottom is suppose to be great but I've never been. Thomas Park in Marion has some steep, techy trails but only worth checking out if you're near by (watch out for disc golfers and other trail users if you check this place out). Squaw creek park also has a short MTB trail that I've yet to check out.

I've been spending most of my time cruising the gravel trails and the road during the winter, but once Beverly thaws out - I'll be out there a lot more. Let me know if you ever want to ride.

#6 ·
Kind of late to the party here, but I'm new to Cedar Rapids myself (moved here in December). Beverly Park in CR is probably your best bet once it thaws out. Some fun stuff in there - definitely a few freeride inspired lines. Sugar Bottom is suppose to be great but I've never been. Thomas Park in Marion has some steep, techy trails but only worth checking out if you're near by (watch out for disc golfers and other trail users if you check this place out). Squaw creek park also has a short MTB trail that I've yet to check out.

I've been spending most of my time cruising the gravel trails and the road during the winter, but once Beverly thaws out - I'll be out there a lot more. Let me know if you ever want to ride.
I have got quite a few recommendations about Beverly park. As soon as things start to thaw out, I will be heading there quite a bit as well as Sugar Bottom. PM me if you ever want to ride as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.