mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Falls Area Single Track...!

The last quarter of 2010 brought Sioux Falls, SD the beginnings of singletrack! We officially have actual metro singletrack within the city limits at Leaders Park. Great plains off road cyclists have a venue in which they do not have to travel 20mi or 50mi or 90mi to find singletrack in the eastern portion of SoDak.

FAST began digging in 10/10, waiting patiently during the snowy months of winter only to start digging in a fury in the Spring of 2011. Currently speaking the is a southern loop that is completed with only a couple of finishing touches to tackle. The majority of the second loop is has to be tied together. Whereas a healthy portion of the expert loop has been cleared and dug. The following is a cursory description of the loops:

Southern (first) Loop: easier in nature, seemingly flowy with treed and prairie sections, great experience to real singletrack and a good low grade climb
    Middle (intermediate) Loop: increased number in technicals (w/bypasses), slightly more speed, a bridge and route to propose skills area
    Northern (expert) Loop: big climbs, great downhills, roller coaster sections, rock gardens, drops, wooden berms and a proposed return route for another 'go-around'

All ingredients make for a excellent pot of singletrack riding!

In the remaining months of digging, FAST will complete and tie together the intermediate loop and finalize the expert loop. Although the summer of '11 has provided many volunteers and numerous good weather days, we were hit with a terenchal rain fall.

A couple of weeks ago we were hit with a rain exceeding 5" in less than 2 hrs. This bombardment endangered the structural integrity of a 30' bridge. Yes, FAST has two 30' bridges in the Park! Unfortunately mother nature has forced us to remove one bridge only to be replaced by a longer span. Volunteers have made the completion of trail sections and the removal of the endangered bridge possible.

Because of the dedication of our core members and the turnout of volunteers we are still on 'track' to finish all loops prior to the end of the season. Our timeline for completing Sioux Falls' first metro trail is creeping closer yet there is the sense of confidence that we will make our proposed Oct '11 date. No terenchal downfalls, no heat soaked weeks, no amount of mosquitos, and no benchcuts too deep will stop us from finalizing our vision of SuFu Single Track!

The few remaining weeks of digging will be action packed. Please if you reside in or near Sioux Falls swing by and participate in such a momental movement. If you are traveling through do not hesitate to say hello with a smile and your back! Dig sessions are as follows:

Tuesdays - 6:15pm to dark
    Thursdays - Pack Night (bring a bike and ride)
    Saturdays - 9am to Noon and 2pm to 5pm
    Sundays - 1pm to 4pm

A huge ginormous thanks to all those who have participated in digging, donated money and enjoyed what FAST has done!

ps - click it - Falls Area Singletrack (FAST) and check us out of facebook.com
    Last edited by adubb25; 08-15-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. Having lived in SuFu, ya you guys need some single track so we're glad to see this project moving forward. If we still lived there, we'd certainly help. Don't feel bad about have bridges, all the systems here have many of them.

If any of you SF characters ever head NE looking to ride, feel free to camp here.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Any updates on how many miles are open? Any ride reports?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Been riding out in Leader Park twice now. Did some exploring last weekend, but haven't had enough time to get real familiar with the whole lay out. I would estimate around 3 miles at minimum of some pretty good single track. The guys doing the work out there have done an excellent job!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My wife and I just bought a house in the Leader's Park area, can't wait to ride it once work slows down!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Rode leaders on10/11 for an hour or so and hit every trail. It was awesome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Was there the past summer visiting family. Brought my bike along and hit it up. You all did a nice job on what I saw then. Maybe I'll get a chance to ride over Thanksgiving--no snow, no snow.

mtbr member
    So is it's officially done??? Was following the FAST bog but it hadn't changed in so long, we gave up.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Done is probably a relative term, but yea I'd say its done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    A friend and I hit up FAST last night for the first time!! It was a lot of fun, and I really like the course! Good job guys!

mtbr member
    Heading to FAST soon, maybe this coming weekend. Where do you guys park? Is there any trail map or is it pretty self explanatory? Any info would be great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've only been there once, which is a shame because I live only a half hour away.
    There's room to park on the street, and there is a board with the map at the entrance to the trails.

mtbr member
    Thanks Wally. Is there signage to show where the trail head is? We are looking at Google Earth and don't really see where the park "starts"... We can just try to find it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    When you turn off of 6th st. you'll be on Leadale Ave. Basically as soon as you get on Leadale you can park, about 100 yds off of 6th st is far enough. There is a trail head sign but it is not on Google Earth. You will see it when you get there, it's plenty big.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am coming from RC and would like to hit up these trails on Saturday. Could I get directions if I was coming from the 41st street please?? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Thanks Wally! DMG, if you can go to google earth or google maps, type this in "Leaders Park, Sioux Falls, SD" That will give you directions to the park. Or here are the directions from there without the map:
    Driving directions to Leaders Park

Rapid City, SD
    1. Head north on Mt Rushmore Rd toward St Joseph St
    423 ft
    2. Turn left at the 2nd cross street onto W Main St
    0.2 mi
    3. Turn right onto I-190
    1.4 mi
    4. Take exit 1B to merge onto I-90 E toward Sioux Falls
    342 mi
    5. Take exit 400 to merge onto I-229 S
    2.8 mi
    6. Take exit 7 for Rice St toward Brandon
    0.3 mi
    7. Turn right onto E Rice St
    440 ft
    8. Take the 1st left onto N Lowell Ave
    0.3 mi
    9. Turn left onto E Madison St
    295 ft
    10. E Madison St turns right and becomes N Omaha Ave
    0.2 mi

Leaders Park
    Sioux Falls, SD 57103

mtbr member
    DMG, one thing i noticed is those directions get you to the middle of the park. It looks like the trail head is at the southern most tip of the park. Like Wally said, pretty close to the intersection of 6th and North Leadale Ave. Good Luck! (may see you there if I head up Saturday!)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thank you! Are there other trails in the area that I should hit up, I have pretty much a full day to play!

mtbr member
    Not sure, but I'm also interested in that answer so hopefully someone can chime in! I'm from Yankton and we used to have a lot of trails down here, but they are being taken over by horses in the last couple years. I always head down to Norfolk Ne to ride. They have a great trail down there (an hour south of Yankton). Anyone know of any other trails around Sioux Falls?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I live in Canton so I hit up Newton Hills regularly. I see tracks once in a while but I have never seen another biker in the three years I've gone there. This would be about a half hour southeast of Sioux Falls. On a weekend there will be horses out there too, usually only see a few though.

SD GFP | State Parks | Directory | Newton Hills
    http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/direct...lls-trails.pdf

Also, I've never been there but the Big Sioux Rec Area by Brandon. Looks like it's only four miles of easy trails...
    SD GFP | State Parks | Directory | Big Sioux
    http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/direct...oux-trails.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If you guys ever get to Mitchell, we have a nice little 3.5 mile loop. It's even here on mtbr. We usually ride every Sunday at 2. Beers after. Kiwanis Park Single Track South Dakota Trail Reviews
    I've been too busy this year to try out FAST. Plenty of time left in the year.

mtbr member

Falls Area Single Track...!

Sounds excellent! I will get to FAST this year. Hopefully within the next couple weeks. Try to get to yours this year too.