Team 9.8

Downhill in Missouri

Is there any downhill parks/trails in Missouri other than the supposed 50 second ride at Landahl? Maybe something in the Ozarks or anywhere really?

NeedGod.com
    I'm a Missouri native, and your best chance at downhill in MO is in the south. The Branson area is home of the Ozark mountains. I did a quick google search and found this: Branson Bike Shop - Bicycle Repair in Branson - Branson Bike Trails

mtbr member
    Eureka Springs, Arkansas in northern Arkansas also has a downhill course adjacent to Lake Leatherwood.
    If its not a bumpy ride, I'm not interested.

Who is John Galt?
    Unless I am missing something there is no real downhill riding in Missouri. Best I've seen is Chubb Trail in St. Louis with its infamous "Step."
    What, me hurry?

NeedGod.com
    Yeah there can't be "real" downhill in a state that lacks mountains. If I were a downhill rider, I'd plan a trip to a well-endowed state.

Team 9.8
    I live in Colorado, I am taking a trip to Kansas and was just trying to find some riding in the area, obviously there isn't any though lol

NeedGod.com
    There's good riding in the area, just not downhill. But yeah, if I lived in Colorado I can't imagine I'd ever seek mtb riding in Kansas.

Probably drunk right now

There are plenty...

Quote Originally Posted by Yurik View Post
    I live in Colorado, I am taking a trip to Kansas and was just trying to find some riding in the area, obviously there isn't any though lol
    There are plenty of trails. There are no DH trails.

What part of CO are you from? Where in KS are you visiting?
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd have to agree with the comment about looking in the Ozarks. That's a very hilly area, so I'd imagine you'd have some shorter downhill trails. In KC, I can't think of much other than that spot in Landahl. I'd be nice if Snow Creek opened up for bikes in the summer.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

Team 9.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    There are plenty of trails. There are no DH trails.

What part of CO are you from? Where in KS are you visiting?
    I am from Grand Junction, visiting olathe/overland park, and yeah I remember doing stuff at snow creek as a kid, I wish there was some stuff there, it would be easy for them to do and a decent money maker for the summer

Also I have ridden most of the trails in that area, clinton, river trail, kill creek, shawnee mission park, etc

Probably drunk right now

Well...

I am from Grand Junction, visiting olathe/overland park, and yeah I remember doing stuff at snow creek as a kid, I wish there was some stuff there, it would be easy for them to do and a decent money maker for the summer

Also I have ridden most of the trails in that area, clinton, river trail, kill creek, shawnee mission park, etc
    I love Fruita/Junction. You live where some of my favorite trails are located. And I live where you're visiting.

I don't know when the last time you road the trails here but they've changed quite a bit in the past couple of years.

Shawnee Mission Park has about 4 more miles that are some of the best in the area.

If you haven't ridden Swope, you should hit them while you're here. Great trails. Eventually they'll connect to Blue River Park and it will be a 50+ mile trail system.

Team 9.8
    Yeah I haven't ridden Swope park, or Shawnee Mission any time recently. I also haven't ridden out at Perry, which I hear is good. I have ridden River trail with the additional miles added on in the last few years, but that is about it. I haven't been back to Kansas riding backs for about 2-3 years now. I will have about a week to hit any trails in the area, and I will have my Yeti 575, and possibly my Demo 8 if there is anything worth bringing it for.

I know I want to hit Landahl, so if you figure I have a weeks worth of riding, what would be the trails you would hit?

1) Landahl
    2) Swope Park
    3) Shawnee Mission
    4) ??

NeedGod.com
    Just keep in mind that Landahl is about 90% rock on the advanced trails. It's not a fast park. There really aren't that many challenging hills, either. I mean it's fun, it's just not super-fast.

Probably drunk right now

My suggestions...

Yeah I haven't ridden Swope park, or Shawnee Mission any time recently. I also haven't ridden out at Perry, which I hear is good. I have ridden River trail with the additional miles added on in the last few years, but that is about it. I haven't been back to Kansas riding backs for about 2-3 years now. I will have about a week to hit any trails in the area, and I will have my Yeti 575, and possibly my Demo 8 if there is anything worth bringing it for.

I know I want to hit Landahl, so if you figure I have a weeks worth of riding, what would be the trails you would hit?

1) Landahl
    2) Swope Park
    3) Shawnee Mission
    4) Clinton
    5) Perry
    6) Blue River Park (the south end of the Swope trails, currently about 12 miles)
    7) Wilson Lake SP (if you're driving across I-70, you can hit this on the way out or back)

And if you're up for a day trip to Arkansas....

8) Leatherwood (Eureka Springs) and Slaughter Pen Hollow (Bentonville) are 4 and 3.5 hours away respectively.
    Added to your list....

If you're looking for guides or a riding partner, you might hit up the Earth Riders forums: Earthriders Forum • Index page

Probably drunk right now

It's all perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    Just keep in mind that Landahl is about 90% rock on the advanced trails. It's not a fast park. There really aren't that many challenging hills, either. I mean it's fun, it's just not super-fast.
    Compared to the trails in IA, Landahl is rocky, technical and slow. Compared to the other trails in KC, they're basically on par and we consider them flowing and fun.

The OP is from Fruita/Junction. Their trails are fairly technical too. He's ridden here before. He'll be right at home because his local trails are Horsethief, Moore Fun, The Ribbon and many more, rocky trails.

Team 9.8
    I heard there is some downhilling in the Eureka Springs area, I checked some youtube videos but it doesn't really look like ski resort downhill, just some 2 minute long runs with some jumps, know of anything cool down there? might be worth bringing my demo for?

Probably drunk right now

Yep...

I heard there is some downhilling in the Eureka Springs area, I checked some youtube videos but it doesn't really look like ski resort downhill, just some 2 minute long runs with some jumps, know of anything cool down there? might be worth bringing my demo for?
    There's a DH course that bisects the XC trails. You'll have to climb to get to the top. I've only ridden parts of it (and I ride mostly technical XC), so I can't offer much perspective on it other than it's DH with jumps and drops that range from ride arounds to 10-15 feet.

The trails at Slaughter Pen Hollow have some FR stuff and they've just opened a .5 mile flow/DH trail: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

If you have the room, I'd bring both your bikes. You'll get some use out of the Demo.

mtbr member
    I'm in the Springfield area and there really isn't DH to speak of....some decent trails in the area though.
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sounds good

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I live just north of Nevada, MO which is south of KC. We've been wanting to check out some of those KC trails. So if I am understanding correctly,Landahl, first and Swope 2nd would be the choices?
    Is Swope Park a safe area now days?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Swope is my favorite.

Sent from my daggum phone because I have no life.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

Team 9.8
    I doubt swope is a safe place, obviously day light hours preferred, and if you have a ccw that would be nice too lol

Probably drunk right now
    Swope is as safe or dangerous as any other trailhead in a metro area. If you leave valuables exposed, they're more likely to be stolen.

The Swope trails are located in close proximity to the kcpd mounted patrol stables. So technically, they're closer to a police station than any other trails in the metro.

Sent from my rotary phone and compiled with a telegraph machine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thats good. We went to the zoo a few years ago, and the park had some rough clientele. Cool zoo though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just rode Swope for the very first time this weekend. It's a great trail. I think I still slightly prefer Landahl, though.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.