mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Dispersed camping - Black Hills

SD folks. Coming from CO and headed to northern Minnesota in July. My plan is to stop near the Black Hills for a ride and an overnight camp. Is there a fair amount of dispersed camping in the Black Hills or should I be looking into reserving a site? Will just have a truck and a few dogs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Most of the forest is open to dispersed camping. Just look at the motor vehicle map on the black hills national forest site and it will show the roads you can pull off for dispersed camping. Find a trail and look for a place to camp near. Most of the national forest sites are also first come first serve and you can usually find a spot fairly easy with them, especially during the week. You shouldn't have a problem finding somewhere to pitch a tent for a night. Enjoy!
    Ross

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Ross!

Live to Ride-Ride to Live
    Aug 2006
    FYI There are no open fires in the Black Hills Fire Protection District except for approved areas. The fine is quite steep so if you like your evening fire a campground is your only option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Good to know Deadman, that may change my approach a bit. If anyone wants to throw out a good campground near a trailhead (doesn't need to be a big ride, just stretching the legs mid-drive) my lazy, unwillingness to search self would appreciate it! Closer to getting back on I-90 the better.

I'll return the favor for anyone headed out to CO needing some trail beta

Aug 2006
    If you plan to travel I-90 you can't get any closer to trails and camping than the Alkali Creek Trail Head/Campground. It is located 1 mile East of the National Cemetery at I-90 exit 34 near Sturgis.

When in July are you planning your trip? There are many local MTB events on the July calendar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Perfect Deadman, I'll check out Alkali. I'll be staying the night of June 30th on my way to Minnesota. Just a quick overnighter to break up the long drive. On the way back, however, I might have more time (July 7-8ish)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Scout,
    Where do you plan to ride in Minnesota?

Aug 2006
    I would be willing to catch a quick spin with you on the 30th. PM me your digits and we can work it out.

Also if you are returning July 7th take a look at Sturgis BAM (Bikes,Art, & Music). There is a 35 mile point to point MTB race/ride/tour that offers some great trail, big views, and lot's of fun!

Sturgis BAM Festival

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Farskija, I'm staying near Alexandria and the closest riding I was recommended was Cuyuna State Park

Deadman - thanks again for the intel. my challenge for SD riding is I'll have my 3 pooches with me, two of which are getting up there in age. my plan is a pretty mellow, short spin to stretch their legs for the long drive the next day. Once I get to MN, however, they can hang at the cabin. Kind of a bummer as the Sturgis BAM looks like a good time.