Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Dirty Kanza 2014

Who's planning on doing it? Registration is on the 11th at 8am.

Dirty Kanza 200 » World's Premiere Gravel Grinder

For you folks that have done it before any tips? This will be my first and I'm going to do the whole route. I recently purchased me a used Felt CX bike to ride on it.

1.2.3.... discuss!

Attack Position
    Thinking of doing the half pint, but am still undecided. Will be riding an SS monster crosser.
    Lone biker of the apocalypse.

mtbr member
    I considered doing the Half Pint at first on my Haro SS. I then decided I might as well go for the gusto and give it my all. Furthest i've rode my SS has been 34 miles on a 36tx18t. Now I have it geared for 33tx20t for doing more single-trak stuff.

mtbr member
    I'm in. Just registered this morning. Now surfing the forums to read all the chatter about everyone who thinks they have the perfect tire choice.

mtbr member
    I singed up for the half pint my first time doing the DK going to be riding a 2012 stumpjumper ht with X01 mavic, slr, and specialized renegade tires. Hope its a fun experience it cant be much harder than the LT100 maybe do the full 200 next year. I don't have Garmin with turn buy turn so my question would be how are/have you carried directions/map?
    Its not what you ride its how you ride it...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm doing it for the first time ever this year. Signed up on the 10th. My friend will be doing it with me.

This is the first time I've ever done anything like this before, and will be our longest ever ride. I'll be riding a Salsa Vaya and he has yet to get a bike for it, ha!

We commuted to work 20 miles each way over the Spring/Summer/Fall and had so much fun we thought we better try something a little challenging!

jct
    mtbr member
    i'm in for the half pint!!! stoked. something to train for now that CX season is over...plus it'll give me a great endurance base going back into CX for the fall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Stay very well hydrated and eat. Expect riding into 20-30mph winds for a couple hours at a time. Expect to use generous amounts of chamois butter. Expect a remoteness unlike you've probably experienced before. Expect to work through saddlesoreness, a stiff back, stiff neck, and rougher than normal gravel roads. Expect to ride through some really cool country which you wouldn't expect in Kansas. Expect a lot of climbing. Expect the people of Emporia to welcome you with open arms. Expect to want to return and do it again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    How could I forget the obvious?! Expect to get flats if you think the lightest, skinniest tire will be an advantage out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi all,
    I will be subscribing to this thread if it is the 2014 Official DK200

I am signed up for the full monty. This will be my first time ever riding the DK200. I will be joined by a first time STL, MO friend as well.

Here's my bike setup:
    1) Specialized Crux Pro disc (hopefully with non-recalled SRAM Red hydros...grrrr)
    2) Roval Control Carbon hoops with Clement X'Plor MSO 40's
    3) COBL GOBL-R seat post with Romin Evo saddle
    4) XT Pedals
    5) Revelate Designs Tangle Frame Bag?

Hydration:
    Not sure if going to keep the hydration in the Tangle bag or on my body? I prefer a lighter bike but this won't be a "race" as much as a survival ride for my first time out so I am debating where to add the weight?

Training plan:
    Anyone have a good one to share here or can point me to a link?

It's great to meet everyone and I hope to see you all in May!

John

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm also going to pick up a Tangle bag. I commuted last year with an Osprey Manta 28 but I'd rather not have the weight on my back for 200+ miles. I think I'm going to get a Mountain Feed Bag as well.

mtbr member
    Friend and I from Topeka are riding it and we are both thinking about the tangle bag. Not sure if I want to rock the frame bag or my Camelbak Mule NV. I think I would be more comfy with less weight on my back.

I am getting a set of Relevate Designs Mountain Feedbags as well.
    2004 Felt F1X is the bike I will be riding with probably Clement LAS or Kenda Happy Mediums.

As for training I'm just trying to ride as much as possible and I am also signed up for the Land Run 100 in March down in Stillwater, OK. That race is kind of a pre-quil to the DK.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What's the weather usually like for the Land Run? I'd like to do it for the fun and challenge but I also don't want to be a frozen, miserable, popsicle.

mtbr member
    Dunno, never rode it or the DK. A first for everything this year. I'm committing myself as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Revelate Designs Tangle Bag

Hey guys,
    I decided to give the Revelate Tangle Bag (size MEDIUM) a shot and unfortunately it doesn't work for me. The QUALITY is AMAZING and the functionality of the bag is exactly what I need but I don't like the location of it next to my thighs. I ride a 56cm Crux and the fit of the bag is spot on!

I used it for exactly 3 whole rides and it's brand new. No cut straps, no alterations, not a single scratch on it... you'd never even know it was used.

I would like to get $50 paypal gift for it please.

Shoot me a message if you're wanting this setup for Kanza.

**EDIT = Sale pending as of 4/8/14**
    Thanks
    John
    Last edited by darkhorse13; 04-08-2014 at 07:33 AM.

mtbr member
    When it's full with the bladder it does rub a wee bit. It takes some getting used to. 50.00 is a great price for anyone wanting one of these. I have a medium on my 54cm Felt and it fits great too except with my bike being a smaller frame it makes it really hard to get any bottles out of the cages. The top cage is pretty much not useable.

Also after riding the Land Run 100 I injured my back. I will be moving from the 207 ride to the 107mi ride. My conditioning and saddle time just isn't there for the 200 yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rynoman03 View Post
    When it's full with the bladder it does rub a wee bit. It takes some getting used to. 50.00 is a great price for anyone wanting one of these. I have a medium on my 54cm Felt and it fits great too except with my bike being a smaller frame it makes it really hard to get any bottles out of the cages. The top cage is pretty much not useable.

Also after riding the Land Run 100 I injured my back. I will be moving from the 207 ride to the 107mi ride. My conditioning and saddle time just isn't there for the 200 yet.

You are exactly right! A full bladder is when the rub is most noticable and when it starts to get empty the rub goes away 98%. I consider keeping it for my MTB as the top tube is much lower. My buddy has a different thigh shape than me and he doesn't rub. I use a Specialized Zee Cage (side pull) and I can insert/remove a full size on the downtube with no problem... I can only fit a standard size bottle on the seattube though.

mtbr member
    I screwed up when I bought my cages. I bough carbon China cages but not side pull. I think I'll buy side pull next.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I decided early on last year that I would sign up for the full DK200. There were a few reason for choosing this ride....1. Emporia is my home town and I have never experienced the beauty of it growing up. All we ever looked forward to was leaving Emporia as fast as we could. 2. It provided an excuse to go visit the family for a bit. 3. The ride itself presents its own challenges then add on my own physical challenges. Should make for an interesting ride. 4. Gives me an excuse to buy a new bike!!

Currently living in the DC metro area where there is not a lot of gravel to ride for long distances presents its own difficulties in training. This year is all about survival!! Best of luck to you all and I hope you enjoy your trip to E-Town.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just have my fingers crossed that the wind dies down by then. I can deal with rain/heat/hours in the saddle but the wind....that stuff is just plain demoralizing. We've had several weeks straight now of 20-30 MPH winds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yeah, I have been monitoring the wind and the direction from which it is coming from & @ what time of day. There is no way around it my friend.

mtbr member
    Yup just train in it. It's not going away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hey All-

I have started to create my packing list for this ride. Do any of you that have done this ride before, gotten to Emporia and and said "Damn, I didn't think to bring that". I know one of the biggest items usually forgotten is sunscreen. If any of you have your packing list that you'd like to share up here, that would be cool. Obviously, remove you secret weapon from the list.

K

mtbr member
    There is a list in the riders bible

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yeah I know, thanks. I was looking more for First hand experience of what came in handy that wouldn't exactly be listed on the Riders Bible checklist.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast