mtbr member

Did anyone ride or wished they had rode the Black Hills Back 40 this year? (2012)

My two boys and I rode at this years inaugural race. It was a blast. They claim 90% single track which I think is fairly accurate, and was told there was over 5,000 feet of climbing; and it sure felt like it. While the amount of different trails I have rode is limited to about 10, this was in my opinion the best trail I have ever ridden, and the most fun as well. Let me know what you thought about your experience there or ask me questions about my experience even if only you wish you had gotten to go this year.

Taken from the race trail. We later rode around to and across the open field in the upper left.
    Did anyone ride or wished they had rode the Black Hills Back 40 this year? (2012)-0728121048a.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    We didn't know about it over here in Mitchell,SD until afterwards. I don't think I could have done it yet since I just started riding mid-June, but there are several guys that I ride our local single track with that were bummed that they didn't know about it

A bunch of us are heading to Custer/deadwood in 2 1/2 weeks for the Michelson trail trek and are thinking about checking out the 5-0 route thinking the trail will be pretty visible after this weekend. I look forward to getting into the hills since we just have small hills by our lake.

mtbr member
    I didn't know about it either until a friend told me about it. I wasn't able to get into the 5-0 and this seemed like a good replacement. It is definitely something you have to be trained for to complete. I have heard that it is a harder race than the 5-0 but am not able to say myself yet. Hopefully next year I will do the 5-0 as well. I do think that the Back 40 is something that could easily turn into a sold out event in the very near future. I'm not sure if you can ride all parts of the Back 40 trail all year, a large majority, if not all of it is on private land. It sure was a lot of fun to ride though. I wish I lived near there but it takes about 9 1/2 hours for me to get there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy12 View Post
    I do think that the Back 40 is something that could easily turn into a sold out event in the very near future. I'm not sure if you can ride all parts of the Back 40 trail all year, a large majority, if not all of it is on private land. It sure was a lot of fun to ride though. I wish I lived near there but it takes about 9 1/2 hours for me to get there.
    PahaSapaTrails.com | Victoria Lake Trail Network
    PahaSapaTrails.com | Storm Mountain Trail Network

Back40 was primarily on public land with a couple of short jaunts through private, you can ride the private sections any time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcherer View Post
    A bunch of us are heading to Custer/deadwood in 2 1/2 weeks for the Michelson trail trek and are thinking about checking out the 5-0 route thinking the trail will be pretty visible after this weekend. I look forward to getting into the hills since we just have small hills by our lake.
    PahaSapaTrails.com | Dakota Five-O Race/Ride/Tour Route

There are numerous places to take a wrong turn on the Five-0 route and some of them will not be totally obvious even after the race has gone through. If you have a mapping gps or appropriate phone app., grab the GPX on the site above, it should get you around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsjg View Post
    Back40 was primarily on public land with a couple of short jaunts through private, you can ride the private sections any time.
    Thanks for that information. I was way off on that I guess. Those links are good to have as well. Thank you very much!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thank you both for the information. We will be much better prepared now.

mtbr member
    My brother rode the back 40 and we do the five o often(this will be number 4). He said no comparison. Back 40 was much more difficult but I'll ask him again after the race Sunday

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I rode at the black hills fat tire festival this year. The SD was cancelled but the XC was still a go. My first time riding in SD. Great time with some really nice people. A great event put on the the local bike shops acme bikes and two wheeler dealer. Storm mountain is a fun place to ride as well as the hanson-larsen memorial park trails. Rapid City area is fun.

Flyboy
    I would have LOVED to do it, but I work in Alaska all summer. I miss all the fun stuff back home...
    Pivot Mach 5.7c
    Jamis Dakar XC Pro
    Sette CX-1