mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Dakota 5-0 tips for the newb

Lay 'em on me, first timer here. I'm starting in the last wave as I have no clue what to expect. I've been racing in the local MTB series here in Iowa. Riding a HT 29er currently setup with a Schwalbe RR 2.3 in front, tubeless, and a Kenda Slant 6 rear, tubed cause my dog decided to take a bite out of crime I guess. I'm planning to swap to a new rear tire and go tubeless for the 5-0.

I know I'm in for a whole different experience, I'm just hoping to finish the first time and go from there.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What do you want to know? It will be run backwards this year, lots of climbing in the first half, lots of punchy climbing that will ruin the roadies between 1/4 and 1/2 way. Back half rides fairly smooth and fast but isn't without its b**** pitches.

First race of this distance? Run a little hot up the gravel off the start, not hot enough to burn a bunch of matches you will need later but hot enough that you won't have to work to get around people who will be slower than you once you hit the single-track. Then just keep the legs turning at your own pace for the next 6-8+ (based on being in the last wave) hours.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've heard it's backwards this year but I don't know 'frontwards' so it's not a comparison that means anything to me yet. I looked at the trail map that is on the site currently but I'm not sure which direction the mileage is referring to, do you?

Suggestions on tires? Am I good with what I have or should I be looking for something a bit meatier on the rear? Are the trails puncture prone, I'm planning on 2 tubes/CO2 but could take 3-4 if it's worth it. Also I have a CamelBak Hawg NV with a 100oz bladder, are aid stations close enough that extra water bottles aren't needed? I suppose if it's blazing hot I don't care I'm taking them anyway but if it's mild I won't. Speaking of aid stations, whats the typical? Get off, fill up, eat and go? I'm thinking that if I plan on 6-8hrs spending 10 mins or so at the station isn't going to kill my finish. Also, is there a cutoff? As in make it to station X by this time or we wont let you finish on course?

Thanks for the answers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It's a loop, mileage is the same either direction. Every map I know about shows the loop clockwise, which is the normal direction. This year is counter-clockwise.

Racing Ralph is a great tire for this course. You should be A-OK without any sidewall protection (SnakeSkin/Exo/etc.) on 90+% of the course, there may be a few spots you will want to be a bit careful. Other places in the Black Hills are a lot harder on tires than the Spearfish area is. It can be rough/rocky but most of it is limestone and sandstone that won't shred your tires like some types of rock have a tendency to do...

At an 8-9 hour pace you should never be more than 2 hours or 2 hours and change between aid stations. I ride a 6 hour pace and usually skip a couple of aid stations if I am running a large bladder. Aid station strategy is all you, I prefer to do my eating and any recovery _ON_ the bike rather than while immobile at an aid station. What seems like a 5 minute aid station stop always ends up being 8-10 when you check the GPS log after, so it's easy to lose a half hour mulling around at aid stations. That said, everyone seems to have their own strategy or method that works best for them.

No cut-offs, at least never in the past. Ride it in after dark and there should be someone in the Park waiting -- but the food and beer will probably be gone! The race itself is a complete gas, but the post-race festivities are more enjoyable if you can knock the ride out by 3:30-4:00 at the latest (when the awards start).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    #8 in a row for me this year! Best advice I received is to pace yourself, and hydrate and eat. I was told when climbing, to try a drop down 1 easier gear then normal, it's a long ride with a lot of climbing, especially coming from Iowa. I have a 100 oz bladder and I also carry a water bottle with an electrolyte drink mix. Also hammer gels, chews on a regular basis is a must to prevent bonking. It's a damn good race and remember to have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    At the aid stations then, I assume that there is a way to fill a bladder? Or is it just water bottles? That may be dumb but I haven't raced with stations before. Good to know on the tires, I won't go crazy with spares. My Garmin can be configured to yell at me at specified intervals to take nutrition which I'll likely setup. Iowa has hills just small ones

Thanks for all the help, I'm worrying less now than I was. Can't wait for September, D5-0 and then Chequamegon the next week. Going to be a busy end of summer!

mtbr member
    I am looking for an entry if an anybody has one available........

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RCook View Post
    At the aid stations then, I assume that there is a way to fill a bladder? Or is it just water bottles? That may be dumb but I haven't raced with stations before.
    Either way you are good to go, if you smile nicely and bat your eyelashes at an aid station crew member they may even fill your camelbak and bottles for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsjg View Post
    Either way you are good to go, if you smile nicely and bat your eyelashes at an aid station crew member they may even fill your camelbak and bottles for you.
    LoL, I'll have to work on the lash batting