mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Cougars at Draper trails in Oklahoma?

I went for a semi muddy ride today at Draper trails, was almost done with the green trail, heading to the yellow trail and caught site of the back side of a very large big game cat. Thi thing made my Rottweiler look small. Just seeing if anyone else has seen such an animal out there?

mtbr member
    I've seen a few hot cougars at Draper, and I've also seen a few very large big game out there. They're usually riding a wal-mart bike and are travelling very slow. But seriously, the only large cat I've seen out there is a bobcat, but a quick google search does say that cougars do exist in Oklahoma. Kind of scary to think about it now...
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yea the cat I saw was for sure bigger than a bobcat. There were some tubs out there on squishy mongoose things. Here's to not getting mauled.

@trailgrinder
    Pretty rare to see the cougars, we have them here in utah and you usually don't see them unless they want you to or have been checking your out. A few trails out here have night ams on them due to the watershed and they occasionally post pics of he cougars in the drink. They are scary big, just make a bunch of noise and good luck!!!

mtbr member
    I gotta say I was a bit paranoid riding yesterday. I could hear what sounded like breathing so I admit I ended up looking behind me on 2 occasions lol.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I ride draper once or twice a week. Been doing this past several months. I may need to stop riding alone.

mtbr member
    No biggie, just keep your pocket knife with you and you'll be fine.

Combat Wombat
    Last year I saw a bobcat out on the yellow that was all gold, no spots, and about 2 feet tall at the shoulders. I spotted it about 20 yards off the side of the trail and it did not seemed at all concerned about me. It sure startled the hell out of me, because my first impression based on color, height and the broad shoulders was that it was a mountain lion. It moved parallel to me for a short distance and then crossed the trail in front of me about 30 yards out and I could see the bobbed tail. The biggest bobcat I have ever seen. I actually went home, looked up information on line to verify that they really can get that big.

For the last two years when the time changes in the Fall, myself and a few others have ridden at night out there every Wednesday. I also know someone that night rides out there by himself. Never had any problems or felt unsafe.

Several years ago, someone that I know can definitely tell the difference between a cougar and a bobcat claims he saw a cougar cross Post Road while he was riding around the lake. And a year or two ago, there was one hit by a car just north of Lake Arcadia. So probably a good idea to make sure you always ride with someone slower than you.

mtbr member
    Hahaha! That last bit made me laugh Brian.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon