mtbr member

Coming to MO and KS with bike!!

Hi all! I am going to be trekking around MO, KS, IL,MI,WI and MN for work in the month of July-so I am bringing my MTB to do some riding when I get a break. I am the tour manager for a Freestyle Motocross entertainment company so I can get you and your kids etc access to the riders and some free Monster Energy if the reps bring it to return the favor!

I searched some of the areas where I will be, and most of the info is a couple years old. What I am looking for is any good info on closures, shops/resources that I can pop into for maps, guides. parts etc. I am also welcoming anyone that wants to come ride along and show me thier trails! My schedule is hectic and ride time is gonna be last minute mostly. I will ride with any skill level. I am highly skilled, medium fitness, like to suffer, like to ride slow too, and ride a 5 inch travel bike-like I said anyone is welcome- I don't mind stopping to wait for others, but on the other hand, when riding with fitter riders, hate to be the one holding you up!

**One thing I want to know for sure is what is the ettiquette when it rains. Living in Phoenix,AZ,we don't have to deal with it, and I sure want to be doing the right thing in your neck of the woods!

My schedule:
    Jul 1-2 Osage Bch, MO at the Walmart
    Jul 3 Lebanon, MO at the speedway
    Jul 5 Ft. Leonard Wood, MO on base
    Jul 8 Wichita, KS somewhere at a Walmart
    Jul 11-13 Couple stops in and around Chicago, IL
    Jul 14 Columbus Ohio at the Motorspeedway so of town
    Jul 18-21 Indian River, MI at the Summerfest
    Jul 24-25 Lake Delton, Wi at the adult resort I hope, but probably a Walmart!
    Jul 27 Shakopee, MN Raceway Park
    Jul 28-29 Minneapolis,MN at two of the Mills Fleet and Farm TBD
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    At Wichita the best you'll get is Miller's Meadow without driving an hour down to Ark City. Miller's is very flat, no rocks just some easy roots. Not much more than a dirt path through the trees. However, if you can get there, Camp Horizon is probably the most physically and technically challenging trail I've ridden to date. Awesome if you can swing it.

Who is John Galt?
    Osage Beach, we got you covered. Visit Oz Cycles and they can point you to Bittersweet, not sure what kind of shape that is in now. It's real close to where you will be. If you don't mind a short drive, Honey Run is one of the best in the state. It's closer to Camdenton, again, Oz Cycles will point you in the right direction. Enjoy!
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sadly, none of those are new me, so I can't make recommendations. Furthermore, you're path is taking you well south of Kansas City, which has some very nice trails. I'd follow Big Jim's link to find some good ones in the Ozarks. If that area is anything like what we have here, riding after a substantial rain is a no-no. The thick mud will clog up every nook and cranny on your bike, and you will do some damage to the trail. Fortunately for you, we're getting into the "official" dry season (the unofficial one started here about early May), so you likely won't have many problems with the weather. It is dang hot, though. Yes, Phoenix gets hotter, but the humidity here makes it feel like a sauna. As with your area, try to ride in the mornings or evenings, and drink lots of water.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

mtbr member
    Looks like no Ozarks time! We are going to Springfield instead on the 2nd and will be spending our 4th in a truck stop somewhere between Lebanon and Ft. Leonard Wood.

Probably drunk right now

Big Jim Mac...

Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Looks like no Ozarks time! We are going to Springfield instead on the 2nd and will be spending our 4th in a truck stop somewhere between Lebanon and Ft. Leonard Wood.
    Big Jim Mac is going to be your best resource for recommendations. He's ridden all over the Midwest.

You're missing hundreds of miles of trails in Lawrence, KS, Kansas City and St. Louis.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Who turned out the lights
    There are some trails around Ft. Leonard Wood. Go see Route 66 Cycles in Rolla for some more information.

I know there is a trail in St. James (about 30 east of FLW). Honey Run is an hour drive from FLW (and probably Lebanon), on the south side of the lake. It is just north of the intersection of MO Hwy A and McCubbin Drive (or McCubbin Point Drive). 9.5 miles of trail built by mountain bikers, +/-12 mile total trip if you go out the connector, ride both loops, and come back on the connector.

There are other trails east of FLW (Berryman Trail, Ozark Trail), but I don't know how much driving you're willing/able to do on any given day to ride. Big Jim and/or one of the two bike shops listed can get you going in the right direction.