mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Cool-blue Rhythm Coming to KC Easter Weekend

I am headed to Kansas City this weekend from MN. I want to get a flavor for some trails to my south in a short amount of time.

We have a wedding for a friend of my wife, but she has permitted me to skip the festivities IF I can ride. She is a heck of a lady, but I need the weather and trail conditions to cooperate or else I am stuck inside instead.

I need a little help from a distance. As of right now it is supposed to rain Thursday and a slight chance on Friday. Will I be able to ride this weekend? Should I leave the bike at home?

We are driving Friday and I was planning on riding Wyandotte County Lake Friday evening when I got there since we are staying near the airport. Missing the grooms dinner.

Saturday I was planning on Shawnee Mission Park. But also thinking about Landahl or Swope. I will have at least 4 hours to ride during the wedding and reception. Can I hit Shawnee and Swope? Or should I just hit one because it is that good?

Any input on whether I could ride on either day or whether one trail has better success drying out would be great. What is the best place to verify the trail conditions?

Thanks for any help in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It just rained a lot the past few nights. Maybe by Sunday but I doubt Saturday they will open. Wyco and Shawnee are good bets and close to airport. Wyco and Shawnee are within 20 minutes of the airport and could spend four hours between them easy. Wyco more flow with minimal rocks, Shawnee more rocks and red loop is a great mix of rocks and flow connector trail. Landahl a lot of fun but furthest east of the trails. Swope and Landahl are both a lot of fun but a bit out of the way and often take a long time to dry. Wyco is probably the fastest drying trail of these.

OLDFATSLOW
    Jul 2006
    Check earthriders, they list trail closures. It doesn't look good right now. Sunday might be good.
    EarthRiders Forum - Index page
    OLDFATSLOW

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks for the responses. Checked the site. All closed.

Bummer. Loving all the topography around here. Definitely does not match the stereotype of flat land.

Any place I could mess around on a skills course or something?
    Thanks again