mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Chubb trail...all hype?

Rode today on the chubb. It was my first time riding it and i didnt see the swich back and rode to the top of the powerline( walked) Then rode to a water tower. Then finished the chubb and decided not to do any more riding at the park because i was a little pissed at myself about all the rocks i went over for nothing on the powerline. I was wondering is here any way to loop at the park instead of reachin the lone elk sign and turning back? Thanks.
    Btw it was really perfect weather and very little mud. Deer are in velvet and are very people friendly/ oblivious

Who is John Galt?
    It's pretty much an out and back only. I managed to get lost twice out there running a month ago, LOL. Did you hit the Flint Quarry Trail? That's the one that branches off at the picnic table on the West Tyson side. Lotsa fun.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    GORC - Trail Maps - Chubb

Here is a link for a good map, and explanation of the trail. This is one of the more technical trails in the area, so if you don't like rocks, either ride at castlewood or get a better bike... I like to ride up flint, down to the tracks, and back down the chub.

Chub TRail - YouTube

mtbr member
    IMO if you have less than 140mm of travel, the rocks will suck, or atleast not be as enjoyable.
    Get a bigger bike.

Smooth riding is for the road

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    rode the trail twice this week and i really enjoyed it. the begining of the chubb is not too much fun untill you get to the picnic table and going down any of the 4 trails that leave from the picnic table make going up worth it. I went down and back up all 4 trails that leave from the picnic table and i recomend going up from the lower parking lot to the picnic table then going to the right down to the railroad tracks coming up and taking the fork to the right to come up behind the picnic table then going back down the trail to the upper parkinglot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I like tech. I like big rocks. I like steep climbs. I DON"T like mudpits rutted out by horse travel and then filled in with loose chat rock a foot deep or so. One of the mudpits on the Flint Quarry side is literally 40 feet wide now. Greensfelder and upper Castlewood are right next door and in better shape at the moment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    When I first started riding mountian bikes in 86 I went to the tyson park end of the chubb trail all the time and rode that technical section from the park over the technical sections and down the hill to the field and then back up and into tyson never realizing it went across the flats along the river and into Lone Elk. It was technical then too and great for developing bike handling skills especially when thats all you are riding . No suspension back in those days, but still a fun place to ride. I haven't been there for years and should head back sometime.

Pickin' n' Grinnin'
    I started riding Chubb when the Rock Shox Quadra 5 was a good fork on a 930 Trek, so about 1993.

I have rode out there fully rigid and fully suspended. It's always fun and a challenging trail on the Tyson side.
    Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bryang View Post
    I like tech. I like big rocks. I like steep climbs. I DON"T like mudpits rutted out by horse travel and then filled in with loose chat rock a foot deep or so. One of the mudpits on the Flint Quarry side is literally 40 feet wide now. Greensfelder and upper Castlewood are right next door and in better shape at the moment.
    Karma just bit me in the ass Rode my 1x9 HT out there last week (parking lot>Chubb up to picnic table>flint quarry>connecter>back to car) and busted my left thumb to bits. Hit some loose leaves on a downhill curvy section, and the leaves were covering loose gravel. So, big slide into a big tree at about 20 mph. Ouch. This was about 1/4 mile before the overlook/bench, so I had to ride 2 miles or so back to the car. Oh well, all my fault I guess