Thread: Central Kansas

The Bulldog

Central Kansas

I'm in central Kansas and I was just wandering if there are any good trails in the Salina area? I hit up Coronado heights and I really like those trails, does anyone know who maintains them because I'd be willing to help out if they wanted some help? I've heard Wilson lake has some, are they good?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You should definitely check out Wilson Lake since you are so close. I would go there all the time if I didn't live in Lawrence. Not really sure what the conditions will be like over there this time of the year but I just pedaled my heart out at Clinton Lake the other day in shorts and a T-shirt. Now there is snow, which can be fun sometimes too I suppose.

Anyway, I've been through Manhattan a few times but never with my bike. Sounds like the Tuttle Creek trails are pretty sweet though. I also heard from friends about some extensive 20+ mile trails at Kanopolis State Park which happened to be quite tame by their standards.

Glad to hear the Coronado trails are still going. I stopped by once but didn't have my bike of course! Oh well, soon enough...

The Bulldog
    Thanks, I'm going up to Wilson lake this weekend if the weathers ok. Yah the Coronado trails were really good. They kinda have a bit of everything, but mostly single track. One of my friends has been talking about taking me up to the Manhattan trails and I'm buying a bike up there pretty soon so I hope i can hit them while im there.

mtbr member
    I'm from Salina as well. I ride the shilling trail every chance I get. Its about 2 miles long right here in town. There is also the YMCA trail, its about a 1 mile loop. Coronado is a great trail, I try to ride as much as i can. May favorite it Manhattan River trail, it's about 6.2 miles long. Its great! There is also fancy creek trail at tuttle creek. Its a very rocky and hard trail. But fun once I'm a while. Wilson has a lot of trail also. Now I want to get out and ride! Maybe tomorrow. Hahahaha.

The Bulldog
    I've heard about shilling, but I don't know where it is. The ymca trail is new to me, where is it? Are there any really easy trails around? I'm getting a guy started, but the only experience he's had on an mtb is about 5 min on my fuel in the parking lot so I want him to try something easy before he tries coronado. I almost rode wilson yesterday, but I didn't have time. I have to say I'm used to trails in Va and coronado is on par with what we had out there, a little short and a little slower, but still about as much fun. I've been up there for the past two weekends!

mtbr member
    Coronado is a great little trail. Very good work out. Definitely not for a beginners first ride. It has some pretty good short climbs. I made a friend puke about 3/4 of a mile in there for his first ride back on a bike. The Ymca trail is right behind the Y. Trail starts on the edge of the parking lot. Its a 1 mile loop. Very easy and within a short ride from BikeTek. The Shilling trail is behind shilling school. Its about a 2 mile loop. A little harder than the YMCA trail, but still a very easy trail. I try to ride it often. A few times a week. Well have to meet up and ride some time. Manhattan river trail is my favorite. Been to cold and too busy to make it over there lately.

The Bulldog
    Yah the only thing I'm having problems with at Coronado are keeping the momentum up for the climbs and the log bridges. Theres just something that freaks me out about them, but I've done plank bridges at home so I'm used to it, it's weird. I found those small drops right in front of that big monument thing and I'm figuring out how to really fly through there, tons of fun, but it seems like I could go faster if the berm leading into it was just about 2 ft longer instead of that flat section. I'll have to take him up to the Y, I want to challenge him a little before we go to Coronado. Yah riding would be cool, maybe when it warms up a little.
    y'all watch this now, I'm gona take this jump like Travis Pastrana on a big wheel!

Who turned out the lights
    FYI, Wilson Lake is +/-17 miles. I have not had the chance to ride it, but I know a lot of guys who have. I've heard it's more challenging than you might expect. Stop by the shop in Great Bend and talk to Doug Chambers. Doug helped build a lot of it.

Talk to the shop in Manhattan about the Fancy Creek trails (separate from Tuttle Creek ORV area).

mtbr member
    Wilson has about 22 miles now. And a majority of it is very challenging! Been a few times to ride a few different sections. Fancy creek is very challenging as well. Went twice last season. Big Poppi in Aggie ville has a handout on it. I think they have it on their web site as well. The Manhattan river tail is awesome! It's my favorite. Wish I lived there so i could ride it every day.

mtbr member
    Went and rode Manhattan river trail Sunday, in great shape. Although they are clearing out a few areas and widened one of the water run offs. Also did couple of laps at Coronado today. Always a great workout.