Thread: BT Epic

mtbr member extraordinair

BT Epic

Im surprised at the lack of chatter!

Is anyone going? I'll be going as a first timer this year. Lets hear some tips and stories!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm in. Wouldn't miss it. The one year I couldn't race b/c of health issues I went to provide support and enjoy the post race festivities. Don't plan on setting a PR this year but I'll survive.

Watch the trail en route to CP 3, furthest point out on course, couple of places people have gotten slightly derailed in the past. The climb at the start is long/steep enough to do a good job of sorting out the field so you're likely to find people to race/ride with for a substantial part of the course. The climb up to the Berryman campground 2nd time through (CP4) is on a paved road but it's a beeeotch by that point. From there the last leg of the course is a blast with a long downhill finish to cap it off.

Always Learning
    Is the Bass River Resort Campground where the race starts and finishes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It is. Mr Bass is big supporter of the race, MTB'ing in general and a really nice guy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Don't make an extra loop like some did, me included which almost caused me to miss the last cp. Remember they don't have you do any loops twice and just follow the gravel back to the finish line and then through all that stupid sand right at the end. UGH!. Long race but worth it every time.
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiba Inu's Rock View Post
    Don't make an extra loop like some did, me included which almost caused me to miss the last cp. Remember they don't have you do any loops twice and just follow the gravel back to the finish line and then through all that stupid sand right at the end. UGH!. Long race but worth it every time.
    I'm not liking the weather forecast!!!

What do you see? Other than a slight chance of showers, it looks pretty good to me

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    What do you see? Other than a slight chance of showers, it looks pretty good to me
    After a week of sunshine and temps around 80 - Saturday's forecast is for a high of 49 degrees, cloudy with possible rain. Sunday looks great with sunshine and 55....

Of course, anything longer than a 24 hour forecast is highly suspect, but we'll see.

dry and 55 degrees would be IDEAL!

Always Learning
    dry and 55 degrees would be IDEAL!
    Yes, I agree. As I said, there's plenty of proof that 3 day forecasts, let alone an extended week forecast is very suspect.

The latest update is 52 and partly sunny on Saturday. Great for riding, but the camping will be chilly....

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    I'm doing the Epic for my first time this year. I flying out from California cuz my buddy signed me up. He lives in Saint Louis and was riding the course on sat and this happened when he hit some pine neadles. So now it looks like I'm solo:-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BT Epic-princess.jpg  

Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

Ouch, that Looks painful.

I saw the 40-49 age group has NINETY ONE racers! Holy CRAP that's huge! I'm looking forward to this, it should be a good time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Race day forecast looking better and better. It'll be a cold wait at the start line but that starting climb will warm everyone right up. The fast guys will be nipple deep in leaves, hopefully they clear the trail out a little for us mid-packers!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

I am in

For those who have ridden there before, any recommendations on 29" tires for this race?
    [

2.35 Nevegal front and back, HEAVY tubes, filled to the brim with slime

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    2.35 Nevegal front and back, HEAVY tubes, filled to the brim with slime
    I see what you did there

Ikon, Ikon, Ikon, not the best on wet leaves but low profile/fast rollers are a favorite round these parts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm setup with Ignitors front and back. If I had the time I would buy a little wider tire for the front with some big side knobs....lots of loose rock around some of those quick corners and switchbacks. Nevagal or one of those new Bontrager 4's....the new design looks like it will bite good.

Now if there are a lot of wet leaves as I expect it really won't matter but as evenslower said - hopefully the fast guys will clear some of those leaves out....

We rode Middle Fork a month or so ago and it got dicey dodging the logs and rocks hidden in the leaves....beware the shadows.

Wow...what a race! This was easily the toughest thing I ever did on a mountain bike, and the most rewarding! It was tough. I got lost, I cramped, my emotions ranged from euphoric to complete despair, I hurt in places I have never hurt before. It was also my longest single ride and first race longer than 20miles. It was every bit of EPIC that people have described. It was AWESOME. I cant wait to sign up for this thing again. The organizers and hosts were top notch...very very Well done.

My results - I finished 36 out of 91 pre-registered in the 40-49 group, my time was 6hr 44min. How did you all do??