Thread: The BT Epic

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

The BT Epic

Anyone ever done the race or have any experience with the trails? I am interested in doing the race this year. I am just looking for some more info and rider experiences on it. I've heard good things and am just trying to decide if its worth the 9 hour drive from Nebraska. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Try searching on stlbiking.com lots of discussion there. Yes, I believe most racers will tell you it is worth it.

Who is John Galt?
    Here's a story I wrote on the trail a couple years ago: Rural Missouri - October 2010 - Good Times on the Berryman

It's really a special place. The trail has had a lot of much needed maintenance and is now a 25-mile loop. I believe the epic uses some gravel roads and takes you down the Ozark Trail some to get its distance. It's not overly technical, but shares use with horses so is rutted in places. It's relentless, keeps going up and down until you start thinking you've done the same section many times. There's some pretty steep stuff at least by Missouri standards.

It's a good time but take it seriously, it will certainly wear you down.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Definitely worth it IMHO. The one event I won't miss during the year. Tough but fun course, well run, great swag, big payouts, good food, based out of a great location. Been there for the last 3 years and it keeps getting better. Registered for this year back in December and still looking forward to it.

Starts with about a 4 or 5 mile gravel road climb which really helps to sort out the field and make hitting the single track much more enjoyable. There are a few steep climbs, some technical sections, a few forest roads to link things together, a fair amount of flowy bench cut single track, but mostly it's mile after mile of primitive single track. You'll earn your dinner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Does this race sell out? Or, is there a cap on # of racers? I can't commit for another month or two, but am thinking this would be a fun way to end the year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It sells out. Was 250 but I think the Forest Service may have allowed more last year. I'd be surprised if this year didn't sell out. The race has a facebook page. Might try that for info.

mtbr member
    Done it 2 years and probably again this year. Great event! Goes up and down the whole race, with a little gravel, but mostly single track. Super fun course.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nothing super technical like (Syllamo Revenge, MTN VW ARKANSAS) but the length of it makes it worth it. You will get your moneys worth. The campground, Bass River Resort, is pretty nice and low key that time of season too.
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    I have done this race...it's a good time. Roughly 60 miles through some beautiful country...nice trails too.

There is a sweet after-party and the camaraderie there is like no other. I won't be racing this year, but I may go just to hang and camp.

Go if you can, it's a lot of fun.
    experience life

Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

holy schfincter..
    Anyone have a course profile or total elevation? Just curious..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Looks like I might have snagged the last entry. Registered one evening, the next day it was closed. Whew!

Bump of thread for more discussion.

Not as techy as Syllamo? 50/50 singletrack? Did I read about a mandatory creek crossing that is usually deep?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    mostly singletrack. creek crossings not as bad as syllamo. more rocky/gravelly loose soil than dakota 50... sadly, less rocky/techy than syllamo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    DAMN! I will have to troll the boards for a spot that somebody wants to sell now. Procrastination never pays off...
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Less tech than Syllamo, creek hasn't been bad the last couple of years but who knows how that will pan out this time around. Best after party/food/swag/giveaways for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by evenslower View Post
    Less tech than Syllamo, creek hasn't been bad the last couple of years but who knows how that will pan out this time around. Best after party/food/swag/giveaways for sure.
    good after party/schwag at btepic, but still not as good as dakota 50 party/schwag. at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    good after party/schwag at btepic, but still not as good as dakota 50 party/schwag. at all.
    5-0 is on my list. i'll be sure to report back when i scratch that one off!!!!!!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    Is the Bass River Resort the place to stay for camping when doing the Berryman Epic race? Or are there enough sites at the Berryman Campground (says only 95 sites which obviously means we can't all stay there)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yes, the BRR is low key this time of year and thats were the start, finish, showers, air and food is.....very close by!
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Where is the start/finish/hang out area for the race at BBR? Here is a map off of their website

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The start is near site 513, the finish is on the back side of the resort along with party! +1 on a lot of good swag!
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiba Inu's Rock View Post
    Yes, the BRR is low key this time of year and thats were the start, finish, showers, air and food is.....very close by!
    Thanks. Looks good.

BB