mtbr member

Bone Bender 3/6hr Lawrence, KS

I'm planning to make the trip up from NW Arkansas for this race and was wondering if anyone can give a good description of the trails since I won't have a chance to preride the course? Mainly wanting to know about the elevation gain per lap. Also if anyone can recommend a good gear ratio for SS that would be great as well! Thx!

mtbr member
    About 1500 ft per lap. See you out there maybe...

Chuck- Black and White Carbon Stumpy in the 3hr Sport class.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    I'm planning to make the trip up from NW Arkansas for this race and was wondering if anyone can give a good description of the trails since I won't have a chance to preride the course? Mainly wanting to know about the elevation gain per lap. Also if anyone can recommend a good gear ratio for SS that would be great as well! Thx!
    Check Google for images of the course. Pretty basic Midwest singletrack with some nice chunky rocks here and there.

In previous years, it started with everyone's most dreaded thing - a LeMans trot to the bikes...

Le Mans

Bike Drop

Not sure about this year as the voting they did on their blog came out with the results favoring starting on the bike in waves.

It's got some sweet singletrack. Not too technical outside of some rock chunk sections (I don't have any pictures of that, sorry)...

DSC_8637

Some of the typical rocks you'll see...

BBender

The Bone Bender Blog has pictures from the course last year and the description of this year's course.

mtbr member
    @CCS7, thanks for the elevation info. That helps with my gearing. I'll be on a black Misfit Psycles SS doing the 6hr solo SS. Hope to see you there!

@Brucebrown, thanks for the description. I personally would prefer the Le Mans start. I'm not the greatest runner but if you aren't in the first wave to go through during the rolling start you are automatically relegated to starting behind the slowest riders of all of the waves that went before you. That could make for a crappy first lap.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    @CCS7, thanks for the elevation info. That helps with my gearing. I'll be on a black Misfit Psycles SS doing the 6hr solo SS. Hope to see you there!

@Brucebrown, thanks for the description. I personally would prefer the Le Mans start. I'm not the greatest runner but if you aren't in the first wave to go through during the rolling start you are automatically relegated to starting behind the slowest riders of all of the waves that went before you. That could make for a crappy first lap.
    Yes, the first 1/4 to 1/3 of lap one is pretty congested with everything starting at once (3 hour/6 hour all age groups at the same time), but if you're doing the 6 hour it would all come out in the wash by the end. Luckily, there is room to pass throughout on the course (if memory serves me right). And last year's opening section after the run up a gravel hill to the bikes, had a big open double track, followed by a grassy field crossing before hitting the singletrack. So plenty of time to make up some ground. If a running start is used, just get lined up way early so you are at the front of the pack for the trot.

BB

mtbr member
    I think they are going with a mass rolling start if I read the latest info correctly.

According to this link there is only 240 feet of climbing per lap. Am I interpreting this correctly?

http://bonebender.blogspot.com/2012/...e-map.html?m=1

mtbr member
    Theyt took a big portion of white out and made the course easier for a better endurance race. Gonna be fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Trying to decide between this and the sylvan island stampede. Forecast isn't looking favorable in either location unfortunately.

Anyone now how this course would be if wet? Has any info been posted if the race will be held rain or shine?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    Trying to decide between this and the sylvan island stampede. Forecast isn't looking favorable in either location unfortunately.
    Same here.

Edit: Current forecast seems to be in favor of Sylvan Island.
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 04-13-2012 at 05:40 AM.

mtbr member
    On the email I received it basically says to come prepared to race in ANY weather ranging from extreme cold to rain to extreme heat.

I'd say that probably means we will race rain or shine.

mtbr member
    They also have 4 racing options depending on how wet it is...I would say we are racing rain or shine.

mtbr member
    Can anyone recommend a good rear 29er tire for wet conditions on this trail?

upgrade until you suck
    Nov 2005
    Honestly, with the way the trails are and the potential for using the rain course at a pretty good probability, any tire with a few knobs will work. The trail won't be too slimy, just some mud. I'll be running a Crossmark on the rear tomorrow which will work fine in my experience.

mtbr member
    Ok, you Kansans need to work on your course descriptions. On the Bone Bender flyer it should have read "come to Lawrence and race on one of the rockiest/rootiest/most slippery F'n courses you'll ever ride on!" haha! I was planning to use this as a tune-up race for Syllamo's Revenge and little did i know that practically the entire course was gonna perfectly mimic the harder sections of Syllamo! Unfortunately I tore a sidewall on my 2nd lap which literally "cut" my race short but I still had a great time! Big thanks to Chris and ALL of the volunteers who did an EXCELLENT job of organizing the race!!!

mtbr member
    Chris has posted the times on the blog:

Bone Bender Results