mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Black Hills MTB camping trip

I'm looking to spend a few days on a little biking/camping trip sometime after the rally. I've done Sturgis like seven times so I'm skipping that in favor of some offroad goodness.

I've kind of narrowed it down to the Spearfish or Rapid City area. which would be better, closer to trails (preferably I want to be able to ride to trails.) etc?

Tenting it by myself for 3-4 days, where should I stay? I'm not real picky, a shower and a fire pit is all I really need (as long as there are no fire restrictions going on?)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I am leaning towards Rapid City area (where I live) but Spearfish is great also. For riding right out of your campsite, I would look at campgrounds along the centennial trail, like Pactola, Sheridan lake, or Dalton lake. Pactola is the only one with a shower, but it can also be used if your not staying there. There are several places to ride so you may have to drive some. Mystery mountain resort is near Storm Mt but, not rideable from the campground. If your looking to stay in town the lake park campground in near the bike trail which is about 3 miles of paved trail to M Hill (Hansen Larsen Memorial Park). Also no fire bans likely this year, so enjoy! For more specifics, just ask.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What trails trails are near Horsethief Campground? Also, is there a place where I can get a good map of the mtn bike trails in the area?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have another link or two on my computer at home, but you can start here for trails near Rapid City: ACME Bicycles - Rapid City, SD. Acme bikes is also a great local shop if you need any bike parts/supplies. I'm more of a back country camper, so I don't know much about the campgrounds around here, but there are trails all over, so you shouldn't have any issues finding someplace to ride, though you may have to drive a little ways.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Dalton Lakes sounds like my kind of place, 10 camp spots and a water hydrant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wally247 View Post
    Yes, Dalton lake is pretty sweet. The section of centennial to the north of Dalton is one of the best rides in the hills. Also you can ride down little elk creek just northeast of the campground also.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Rode Storm Mountain just outside of Rapid City last year and had a blast. Didn't care for Hanson Larson park that much but it's a pretty good ride for being in the city.

mtbr member

Re: Black Hills MTB camping trip

tinton above spearfish is my
    favorite trail in the hills. good climbing going out and haul a## coming back. you can make it up to almost 30 miles as an out and back...or just ride the whole 49 mile Dakota five-O loop.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wally247 View Post
    Would recommend Dalton, ride north not south from there, the suggested Little Elk is great too. South of Dalton rides OK but it is shared with motorized until you hit Pilot Knob, so it's all double-track-ish and quite chunky, though it can be fun on a 4-5"+ bike.

If you go the Spearfish route do Tinton Trail for sure but also find a local (or scour Strava) to show you Right Side Trail (RST) and Fight Club.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sounds like maybe a day or two in each area may be what I need to do.