Thread: The Big O

mtbr member

The Big O

Would love to hear more about this city and the surrounding area from a MTB perspective. I am looking at a probable job move from Atlanta to Omaha within the year. Are there decent trails without having to drive forever to get to one? Any bike shop recommendations and is the city bike friendly? I've never even been to Nebraska and have no idea what to expect, so I am scouring for info. Thanks in advance!
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

It's not enough to bash in heads
    , you've got to bash in minds. - Captain Hammer

mtbr member

The Big O

If you're not a Cornhuskers fan, and don't wanna be, it's pretty tough goin'. Lived there and experienced that plenty. As far as trails go, I'm not sure on that. Just know that they expect all of your previous sports team gear to magically turn to Cornhuskers stuff when you cross the Nebraska border. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Giant Trance X 29er
    Schwinn Sidewinder

EMAW - GO STATE

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Virtually all of the land in NE is in private hands, so the mountain biking tends to be in small state and city parks. THOR (trailshaveourrespect.com) is the organization that maintains all of significant mtn bike trails in the Omaha/Lincoln area. Look at their web site and then go to the parks website to look at the trail maps. The trail situation doesn't get a lot better driving several hours in any direction. When I lived there I used to drive 8 hours to Colorado for long weekends of mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    There are a few trails around the area. Most are within 45 minutes of the area, but can be closer depending on where you live. Here is a list of trails. Tranquility, Swanson, Jewel, Lewis and Clark, Calvin Crest and Platte River State Park. They are all good trails, but nothing crazy over the top. Just good single track trails. We also have a pavement trail that follows a creek, from north to south total round trip out and back is 50miles you could make 70miles with 2 other trails. But for the most part it is flat.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info and the links! It sounds like it may be a pretty significant change in terms of terrain and trail availability from what we have in Georgia, but glad there are some fun rides around. Weekends in Colorado would be a big plus. Any favorite Omaha bike shops?

Thanks again!
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

It's not enough to bash in heads
    , you've got to bash in minds. - Captain Hammer

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Re: The Big O

There are a few in town. Bike rack is one of the bigger ones. They carry Trek / Cannondale / maybe Scott? Bike way has Specialized / Kona / Santa Cruz. We have a few Trek store as well and a few other shops I did not name.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It is Nebraska, so by definition things are flat here, so if you love climbing you are out of luck. But having lived in and rode trails in Colorado, I am content with the trails here. The closer you get to the rivers the more up and down the trails are. The trails are short, so you have to get a couple laps in if you want a good work out. The MTB community here is good though, and it is growing IMO. Just keep an open mind and you will be fine. As others have said, Colorado and Wyoming are not that far away, and Missouri and Kansas have awesome trails as well.

My go to bike shop is Dundee Cycles. Christopher is a cool dude who builds incredible custom MTB's. I live in the area called Dundee so their shop is close (though they are moving east a few streets in December).

Good luck