Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Rohloff
    Reputation: bsdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,511

    Best Trails in Oklahoma

    I'm off Thanksgiving week. I will be visiting family in Tahlequah on Thanksgiving day. I'll be staying in my travel trailer, so I like places I can camp and ride. My plan is to start off in Palo Duro Canyon and work my way across Oklahoma to Tahlequah. I'm an intermediate rider use to some hills and chunk, but fast and flowy is fun too. I'm looking at Tom Steed.

    Any advice?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kuykendallc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    78
    Tom steed hasn't been maintained and is an expert trail. I would hit roman nose, lake mcmurtry, and then turkey mountain.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    236
    These aren't the best trails, but they are close to where you'll be.

    Sparrow Hawk is in Tahlequah. Some tough climbs and lots of small rocks.

    Greenleaf (ankle express) is one of my favorite trails, but most of it is closed this time of the year due to deer hunting.

  4. #4
    Rohloff
    Reputation: bsdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by kuykendallc View Post
    Tom steed hasn't been maintained and is an expert trail. I would hit roman nose, lake mcmurtry, and then turkey mountain.
    Expert is relative. I'm not one to huck myself off steep stuff, but I do like chunky trails and I don't mind walking a few sections. Lack of maintenance is another issue.

    I'll look into those other three trails more.

  5. #5
    Rohloff
    Reputation: bsdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    These aren't the best trails, but they are close to where you'll be.

    Sparrow Hawk is in Tahlequah. Some tough climbs and lots of small rocks.

    Greenleaf (ankle express) is one of my favorite trails, but most of it is closed this time of the year due to deer hunting.
    I've been riding Greenleaf the last two Thanksgiving weekends. No deer hunting issues. It is a little overgrown but ridable and enjoyable. Kind of light intermediate riding. I'm aware of Sparrow Hawk. I need to find it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shamrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    167
    Going to be a morning ride @ Turkey Mtn on Thanksgiving - its a canned food drive so bring a few cans. Starts @ 9

    I'll probably be going out again on fri-sat-sun if I can

    albeit I'm pretty new to this world so I'm still in the ass clenching phase of mtb, especially around rock

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chain_slap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    50
    Here is a site of the OEF, the local OK mtb club. I am assuming your coming across I-40, do Roman Nose, north of I-40 western OK, then hit the Draper Lake Trail on your through OKC, just south of I-40. All trails should be dry enough to ride.

    OEF | Oklahoma Earthbike Fellowship | Trails

  8. #8
    Rohloff
    Reputation: bsdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrok View Post
    Going to be a morning ride @ Turkey Mtn on Thanksgiving - its a canned food drive so bring a few cans. Starts @ 9

    I'll probably be going out again on fri-sat-sun if I can

    albeit I'm pretty new to this world so I'm still in the ass clenching phase of mtb, especially around rock
    Well, Turkey Mountain would be new to me, so I'd probably be doing my fair share of clinching, too. I'll try to be there. Is there any particular place everyone meets?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Naturally Aspirated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    365
    We're also having a day after Thanksgiving Turkey Ride at Draper Lake. Also I just rode Roman Nose last Saturday and that place would be perfect if you want somewhere to camp and ride. You can also do some of that at Lake McMurtry and I believe Lake Thunderbird. Bluff Creek here in the city is fun, but only 4 miles long.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shamrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdc View Post
    Well, Turkey Mountain would be new to me, so I'd probably be doing my fair share of clinching, too. I'll try to be there. Is there any particular place everyone meets?
    Lower parking lot - North on Elwood off of 71st street (west side of river), lot is off to the east side of Elwood

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •