Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Berryman worth the drive?

Im looking for a good trail that is less than a 6hr drive from the middle of Indiana. Berryman fits that bill but is it worth the drive just to do that trail?

mtbr member
    I haven't been there myself but can add two things.

1) I live in st louis, and was considering the (2 hour?) drive there myself. So it's atleast worth it to me.
    2) If you want technical, just drive a couple miles further and you'll be in chadwick. That's totally worth it imo.

Although you might be just as close to any number of good appalachian trails so that's something to consider.

EDIT
    3) Also, you could make some short stops to any number of good trails here in st louis like castlewood, klondike, greensfelder and chubb along the way. That's a big plus.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It's absolutely worth the drive. The one thing about the Berryman and other trails in the area is there usually is no fresh water along the trail. Either stash at one of the numerous gravel roads or bring along water or a filter.

There are other trails also in the area worth the drive.

Middle Fork which you can ride as a loop.

Council Bluff Lake which is real close to the Middle Fork where you can camp.

You could stay at Brushy Creek Lodge and they will haul you out to your desired ride miles on part of the Ozark Trail where you can ride back which is good. It is fairly remote in the Ozarks so be prepared for flats or slashed tires from the rocks.

Go to GORC - Trail Maps for the area maps down there and descriptions of the trails.

Also go to the Ozark Trail website for more info.

The Ozark Trail - Trail Conditions

You could put together a nice long weekend of riding.

I just raced the BT Epic (Berryman Trail) and it was a blast. That was some great riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think moving toward the east will be out due to the storm. Looking for a day and a half trip from my house so I'll check out your other suggestions too. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nice trail. Bring water and tools because there's no civilization out there.

mtbr member
    Blasphemous as this may be....

Worth the drive if you are camping...just to ride, IMO, no. I used to live a few hours west of there...raced on it once, never have went back...
    experience life

Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think we are going to ride it on Saturday morning! Any locals want to jump in?

mtbr member
    I was considering taking a weekend trip down to the Berryman from STL. What the closest town nearby? I'm not wanting to camp and will probably look into getting a hotel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    we will be staying in Poplar Bluff...looks to be 12miles or so from trailhead

Who turned out the lights
    Steelville is pretty close. Check out the Bass River Resort. You can get onto the Ozark trail right on the Bass River property.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    @ Pivot4,

I will be camping at the Berryman Campground Saturday and riding Sunday around 10:00 if you're interested. May have a couple folks joining or it may just be me on Sunday, unsure at this point. Either way, I will be riding!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry but it looks like we will miss you by a day. We are only able to ride on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Have fun out there. Remember it is the beginning of hunting season, so a cheap hunters orange vest may not be a bad idea. If you want a post ride brew and a warm fire afterwards feel free ride over, we'll probably be the only car at the campground.

Pickin' n' Grinnin'
    So how was the ride?

I like riding Berryman a couple of times a year, just to get away from it all.
    Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...

mtbr member
    Trying to plan a ride for this Spring. Is this where everyone would recommend starting? Clockwise or Counter-clockwise?

Ozark Trail Planner - Results Overview

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've only ever ridden it clockwise. The first half is a blast, some relatively new and flowy stuff in there, used to beat you up pretty bad, much improved. I'd like to hear what someone who's ridden it the other way thinks.

mtbr member
    Did you start at the Brazil Creek campground? I think this is the most popular spot to start??

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Start at Brazil and go Clockwise, that way you come through the creek crossing at the very end of your ride. This is especially important during winter and spring when it is cold outside, nobody likes frozen feet!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The trail has been re-routed at Brazil Creek and you don't have to go through the creek or those super tight, rutted out switchbacks anymore. After the first right hand switchback you go straight for a bit on some new trail then around the creek to pop out onto to the road and cross it. At least that's what we did for the Epic in October but yeah, that's as good a place as any to start.

mtbr member
    I always start at Berryman campground trailhead off of Hwy 8 and go clockwise.. Those new recent re-routes are awesome.. Ole Berryman has been getting lots of much needed attention by a bunch of great volunteers... God I love that trail.... I think I might go ride it in the morning..

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I always rode it clockwise from the main Berryman campground. Brazil creek is where all the horse trailers and equestrians gather and it never seemed as clean to me due to all the horse crap. Maybe it was all in my mind who knows. Great trail though, thats for sure.

mtbr member
    Has anyone ridden Berryman recently? We're doing a ride there this Saturday, just wondering what the trail is like?
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

Pickin' n' Grinnin'
    No news on the trail from me, but have fun! It sounds like it'll be nice out.

mtbr member

Great ride today

We had about 30-40 people down there today for a ride, the trail is in great shape. Last time I was there I rode it on a hardtail. FS is much better. 26 miles overall. Great job by the trail builders to get this trail back in shape.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    That's awesome! Looking forward to riding it this spring for the first time. Thanks for the update.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast