mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Berryman Trail Conditions

Hey all,

I'll be in the Steelville, MO area next weekend and am considering riding Berryman on Monday. Can anyone who's been on it recently give me a heads-up on the conditions? Never ridden it before so I'm wondering if I should bring along a full-suspension or if a hardtail will work.

Thanks for any info.

-David

Probably drunk right now

Well....

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Hey all,

I'll be in the Steelville, MO area next weekend and am considering riding Berryman on Monday. Can anyone who's been on it recently give me a heads-up on the conditions? Never ridden it before so I'm wondering if I should bring along a full-suspension or if a hardtail will work.

Thanks for any info.

-David
    Conditions: They'll likely be fine. I've ridden the Berryman in a deluge. The soil is igneous and holds up to weather very well.

Bike: It's up to you. I've ridden it with a FS All Mountain and had a blast. I also rode it on a singlespeed (2:1 ratio) and had a blast. In other words, it's a fun trail.

Post up your ride report....

Ken
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    Conditions: They'll likely be fine. I've ridden the Berryman in a deluge. The soil is igneous and holds up to weather very well.

Bike: It's up to you. I've ridden it with a FS All Mountain and had a blast. I also rode it on a singlespeed (2:1 ratio) and had a blast. In other words, it's a fun trail.

Post up your ride report....

Ken
    Thanks for the info, Ken.

I talked to some friends who have ridden the trail before and they also said a hardtail was doable. Thanks for helping confirm what they said. Thought they might have been looking for some good crash stories.

I really don't want to overthink this thing too much but they're calling for rain next Monday and I'm curious about the creek crossings. I did some in the Black Hills last year after record rainfall and, while not impossible, they weren't much fun. Would like to avoid hip-deep, fast-flowing streams if at all possible, especially since I'll most likely be riding alone. Shouldn't be a big problem this early in the year and with so little precipitation over the winter, right?

Thanks again for the help. Really looking forward to riding this trail. I'll definitely post something if/after I ride it.

EDIT: One other thing I just thought about...

Any idea how secure the trailhead is? I'll likely be parking at the Berryman trailhead and will have other gear in my vehicle (it's a small pickup so there are limited places to keep things out of sight). Is it "safe" to leave the stuff there for the day or should I try to park somewhere else and find a shuttle to the trailhead?
    Last edited by DavidF; 03-04-2012 at 09:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Thanks for the info, Ken.

I talked to some friends who have ridden the trail before and they also said a hardtail was doable. Thanks for helping confirm what they said. Thought they might have been looking for some good crash stories.

I really don't want to overthink this thing too much but they're calling for rain next Monday and I'm curious about the creek crossings. I did some in the Black Hills last year after record rainfall and, while not impossible, they weren't much fun. Would like to avoid hip-deep, fast-flowing streams if at all possible, especially since I'll most likely be riding alone. Shouldn't be a big problem this early in the year and with so little precipitation over the winter, right?

Thanks again for the help. Really looking forward to riding this trail. I'll definitely post something if/after I ride it.

EDIT: One other thing I just thought about...

Any idea how secure the trailhead is? I'll likely be parking at the Berryman trailhead and will have other gear in my vehicle (it's a small pickup so there are limited places to keep things out of sight). Is it "safe" to leave the stuff there for the day or should I try to park somewhere else and find a shuttle to the trailhead?

Several minor creek/stream crossings...some bridgework in places...not much.

IMO, your stuff would be fine...
    experience life

Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hesston View Post
    Several minor creek/stream crossings...some bridgework in places...not much.

IMO, your stuff would be fine...
    Awesome! Thanks, man. I'm really looking forward to this trail. Now all I really have to worry about is losing motivation after a long weekend working.

Thanks, guys. I'll post a report asap when it's done.

-David

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Four of us are heading south from Wisconsin for a long weekend March 24th. We are very flexible with the direction we head (just somewhere warm and drier) and would like to hit multiple trails.

I see conflicting reports on the ride quality of Berryman is it still an "Epic" ride or are there other trails recommended for spring rides?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Berryman is definitely still an IMBA Epic and a few sections have been rerouted so you can expect some nice, new buttery singletrack.

In the same zone, I'd recommend basing out of the Council Bluff campsite which allows you to ride (from the campground no-less):

Council Bluff loop (12 miles)
    Northern Trace Creek (12 miles one-way - out-n-back)
    Middlefork (18 miles one way, out-n-back - can also make into 31 mile loop doing 17.5 miles out, 10 miles of gravel road, 3 miles of singletrack (return leg))

Riding from Council Bluff campground to Middlefork trailhead, add about 4 miles each way.

For more info hit up the Ozark Trail website The Ozark Trail - Home for info on Middlefork and Trace Creek

and GORC Gateway Off-Road Cyclists - GORC - STL Mountain Biking Organization for info on Council Bluff, Berryman, Middlefork (including map and directions of loop) - The print 'loop' map is more like 36-38 miles as a loop. To do the more common 31 mile loop turn left at 'f' when riding in counter clockwise direction.

There are GPS tracks floating around on Garmin of the Middlefork loop, among all the other area rides.

GORC - Area Bike Trails - Google Maps

is GORC's Google Map of rides in the zone. Ask around on GORC message board if you need more local info.

Some great backcountry riding. I rode Middlefork this past Saturday and is in fantastic shape. Also, drains very well.

You'll have fun.

Matt
    GORC VP
    gorctrails.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Matt,

Thanks for the advice and links. Berryman is on our list, depending on trail and weather conditions we may head your direction or further south or east if needed. We will check the GORC forum for conditions when we head out

If we are passing thru and only have time to hit 1 or 2 trails whats are your top picks? Fast and Flowy are prefered by our group.

Spike

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Greensfelder just off 44 is a solid pick and Matson Hill in St. Charles county is fast and flowy, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Any recommendations for a good spot to refuel with food and adult beverages?

Who is John Galt?
    I'm headed to Berryman Saturday 3-10, going to run it this time as I'm preparing for Berryman 50 mile in May but an post up on conditions. The trail is getting a lot of long needed rebuilds and it just keeps getting better. My feeling on Berryman is it is relentless, if you aren't going up you are going down! Here's a story I wrote on the trail: Rural Missouri - October 2010 - (10)

If you have a few days you can ride Berryman, camp, and do the OT south the next day. That section is tough, lots of up and downs and some eroded sections but there is scenery unlike any in Missouri. Council Bluff is also a great trail if a little shorter but the creature comforts are better in the campground when it's open.

If you are looking for eats, try Boo's Market in Potosi, it's on the west side of town on Highway 8, can't miss it.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for all the info on the trails, guys.

Didn't make it to Berryman last Monday due to time constraints and some trouble with a back injury but I did get a couple hours of riding done on the OT and some forest roads. It rained pretty much all day Sunday so I was a bit concerned but the trail was in excellent shape with only a few soupy spots. I'll be back down that way in May so will definitely check out Berryman.

Who is John Galt?
    Keep in mind the Berryman Trail marathon and 50-mile run are set for May 19, might not be the best time to ride.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the help. We will be heading south from Wisconsin early this Friday, hopefully the weather cooperates.

Who is John Galt?
    May see you there, the trail running club I'm in is doing maintenance on Saturday. I'm thinking about camping Friday night--white Explorer. It's looking a lot like rain and has been raining hard here all week.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    raining all week.... I was hoping the reports were wrong. We have white suburban canít miss us American Family Billboard on it.

If itís any better to the south we might head into Arkansas and hit the Berryman Sunday or Monday. Any opinions on the rideability of the Womble or Syllamo?

Sound like all the trails dry way quicker than our heavy soils do up here.

Who is John Galt?
    Can't tell you much about the Arkansas trails, I did Syllamo once, would say it's similar to Berryman only much steeper climbs. Berryman will be rideable. You'll find some mud, biggest problem will be the creeks, we have flash flood warnings out in places but they will go down quickly. Brazil Creek at the halfway point is going to be pretty deep. If it's too wet to camp you can go west on highway 8 to Bass or Huzzah Valley resorts and get a cabin. You can pick up the Ozark Trail to Berryman at Bass.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Were doing a trail in Peoria then heading to the Berryman.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Black Partridge or Jubilee?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    We did Farmdale this afternoon nice, fast and flowy. Berryman tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike1981 View Post
    We did Farmdale this afternoon nice, fast and flowy. Berryman tomorrow.
    oh nice, I've heard good things. was supposed to ride Farmdale this past July and got rained out. had to settle for a road century instead .

oh and have fun! hopefully you don't get lost and end up doing a 45 miler to bail out like some douschebag I know

Who is John Galt?
    Good meeting you guys. Hope you had fun. If Berryman didn't beat you up too bad, suggest you hit Council Bluff or Chubb. If you want something close and a little easier ( I think!) try the trail near St. James: http://www.route66bicycles.com/merch...orest_city.pdf
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Y'all hit Berry today?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Big Jim,

It was good to see you on the trail Saturday, thanks for the advice. The Berryman treated us well; we had a fantastic ride, fast descents, lots of creek crossings fand inished up with full racks of ribs at the Missouri Hick BBG in Cuba with plenty of refreshments.

We did Council Bluffs trail on Sunday and were glad to see that the hills were more rollers since the legs were getting weak. This was a nice fast trail with a great veiws being on the lake the whole way.

We hit Comlara Park outside of Bloomington Illinois on the way home yesterday, not much left in my legs by then.

55 miles of single track in 4 days it was fantastic old guy spring break.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Wow I envy that trip, sounds like a blast. I've ridden Comlara several times and that definitely sounds like a great way to end a full weekend of riding. cheers