mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Anyone in the St. Louis, MO area with a FS Motobecane 29er?

I'm in the market for a new bike. My current MTB is an old Giant Warp DS2 that is just old, heavy and feels like it's folding in half on every rotation of the pedal and over every bump/obstacle on the trails.

I purchased a Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro in March for my road bike and love the bike so far. It's spec'd out very nice and I've never had any issues with it at all. So I'm leaning towards another Motobecane for my MTB bike. Price wise, you can't beat the equipment these bikes come with. But, I'd really like to test ride one just to make sure I like how the rear suspension handles the trails, or even how it feels. Long term I would be buying this bike and moving the components to a carbon frame.

Anyone in my area care to let me demo their ride? Obviously you'd go with me to the trail and I'd even let you ride my classic machine, if you wanted. And I won't abuse it, I just want to make sure it I'm not getting myself into another FS bike I don't like to ride.

I'm also looking at Specialized Epic or Camber but to get a similar equipped bike will be twice as much. I'd have to compare them to see if it's really worth spending twice as much for a name brand.

no fat chicks
    whatever you do stay away from bike shops
    they don't do anything to help provide you with places to ride or race
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes View Post
    whatever you do stay away from bike shops
    they don't do anything to help provide you with places to ride or race
    Thanks for the amazing insight.

mtbr member
    Honestly, I'd spend more and buy a bike from a shop before I did the internet thing again.

I ride a Santa Cruz Tallboy LT. I could have bought it online and saved $150 as opposed to buying it from the brick and mortar place. But, the internet won't fix it when it breaks. That bike had a couple of teething problems out the gate. I crashed it and bent the front rim. I got a discounted new rim, plus an upgraded front hub. The rear freewheel locked up, and blew a link in the chain. They gave me a new hub assembly off a bike on the floor, and a better chain, while I waited. Any other issues like the pivots need grease, or the derailleur isn't shifting right, just bring it in, and they take care of it free and on the spot. Sorry bro, but the internet doesn't do that.

Could I have saved $150? Yeah. Is the $150 I spent a pittance to what I've gotten back in support? I'd say. Cheapest isn't always best.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Honestly, I'd spend more and buy a bike from a shop before I did the internet thing again.

I ride a Santa Cruz Tallboy LT. I could have bought it online and saved $150 as opposed to buying it from the brick and mortar place. But, the internet won't fix it when it breaks. That bike had a couple of teething problems out the gate. I crashed it and bent the front rim. I got a discounted new rim, plus an upgraded front hub. The rear freewheel locked up, and blew a link in the chain. They gave me a new hub assembly off a bike on the floor, and a better chain, while I waited. Any other issues like the pivots need grease, or the derailleur isn't shifting right, just bring it in, and they take care of it free and on the spot. Sorry bro, but the internet doesn't do that.

Could I have saved $150? Yeah. Is the $150 I spent a pittance to what I've gotten back in support? I'd say. Cheapest isn't always best.
    Thanks for the reply.

I completely agree with you on your situation. I wouldn't even consider it if it were only $150. But the bikes I've been looking at locally are almost double what I can get a better equipped bike online. That's a big chunk of change.

I was hoping to just test ride a FS Motobecane and see how it handles and how much peddle bob it had.

As it turns out, I'm probably buying a Specialized Epic Comp Carbon 29 from an LBS. I wouldn't even think of buying that bike online because I wouldn't save enough to justify it.

I haven't ruled out the Motobecane bike completely. But without riding one and with how much I hate my old FS Giant, I can't see it happening without a test ride.

mtbr member
    The Epic and the Motobecane stuff aren't even remotely in the same class. The Epic is a race machine, period. It's purpose in life is go fast and get trophies. And at that, it excels. And oh, does it look good doing it.

Maybe look at the Salsa Spearfish if you want something similar but slightly lower cost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Epic and the Motobecane stuff aren't even remotely in the same class. The Epic is a race machine, period. It's purpose in life is go fast and get trophies. And at that, it excels. And oh, does it look good doing it.

Maybe look at the Salsa Spearfish if you want something similar but slightly lower cost.
    Oh I know they're not in the same class. But I wasn't looking at the Motobecane as an equal bike. I was looking at one that had a better range of components than the epic and using those on a different frame later down the road. It was half the price of the base Epic.

But after riding the Epic, I can't imagine anything coming close to it. Two test rides and I'm pretty much sold on it.

mtbr member
    Nothing will ride like the Epic because Specialized still has the lock on the BRAIN.

If you just want to build up an Epic frame, I'd just cruise eBay and look for deals, and look out for Jenson, PricePoint, etc to run clearances on last year's stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nothing will ride like the Epic because Specialized still has the lock on the BRAIN.

If you just want to build up an Epic frame, I'd just cruise eBay and look for deals, and look out for Jenson, PricePoint, etc to run clearances on last year's stuff.
    That damn Brain! That's what sold me.