mtbr member

2013 Tour de Dirt

Curious to see if anyone here is planning on doing any/all of the Tour de Dirt series.

I plan on embarrassing myself as a Cat 3 at the Sooner Stampede (March 24) - my first ever race. I'd also like to do the Red River Shootout (April 14), but don't have anything planned further out than that.

mtbr member
    I intend on doing them all this year, just few more weeks! What age group are you in?

and you may as well go suffer at Keystone while you're at it.

mtbr member
    Awesome!

I'll be in the 30-39 group.

I still haven't made it out to Keystone yet. I think I'm psyching myself out a bit from reading trail reports. I need to give it a shot either this weekend or next to see just how rocky it is.

Have you been on the trails at Lake Thunderbird yet? I'm going to try to get out there the Saturday before the race to do a loop, but I'm still curious to know what they're like.

Campmobiler

Fool's Dozen Ride in Medicine Park, OK

It's not part of the Tour de Dirt, but if you want a challenging (ROCKY) ride to keep you warmed up in between the Sooner Stampede and the Red River Shootout, come to Medicine Park, OK for the 1st annual Fool's Dozen mountain bike ride.

2013 Tour de Dirt-fools-dozen-2013.jpg

Back to your topic, I'm planning on riding the May 19 event at Roman Nose. Never been there, but have heard good things.
    Last edited by McLoafin; 03-05-2013 at 12:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Roman Nose is supposed to be great - unless it rains, then it just turns to bog city

mtbr member
    Thunderbird is flow, climbing, and corners. Trail surface ranges from sand to hard pack soil, with some corners drowning in sand. Nothing techy on the race loop, course marked with pink ribbons. If you need some more detailed directions feel free to pm me. Hopefully you are following the Tour de Dirt facebook page? Lots of good beta etc to be found there. Last year was my first year racing. As for keystone....the race loop gets progressively easier. Then you do a second lap and start over....
    If its not a bumpy ride, I'm not interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeLook@Rocks View Post
    Thunderbird is flow, climbing, and corners. Trail surface ranges from sand to hard pack soil, with some corners drowning in sand. Nothing techy on the race loop, course marked with pink ribbons. If you need some more detailed directions feel free to pm me. Hopefully you are following the Tour de Dirt facebook page? Lots of good beta etc to be found there. Last year was my first year racing. As for keystone....the race loop gets progressively easier. Then you do a second lap and start over....
    yeah, keystone has those 4-5 spots in the first 1/3 of the loop that if you can clear you are golden, if not - well you're cat 3 and most likely cursing like the rest of the cat 3's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrok View Post
    Roman Nose is supposed to be great - unless it rains, then it just turns to bog city
    Rode it back in the day for fun, not in a race. Interesting terrain for OK and the views are killer.

Once you go there you'll understand why the Injuns liked the spot.

Senior Citizen
    Mar 2013
    Can someone please tell me how to get to the trailhead of the Fool's Dozen? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Trotter View Post
    Can someone please tell me how to get to the trailhead of the Fool's Dozen? Thanks!
    I think if you dig into the Medicine Park thread there are some good directions to the trail head

Campmobiler
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Trotter View Post
    There are several ways to get onto these trails. Take a look at http://forums.mtbr.com/great-plains-...-753248-5.html for trail maps.

The Fool's Dozen ride will begin at the big stage in the middle of downtown Medicine Park.

mtbr member
    Finally got out to Keystone and did a few laps. Did most of the race course and it was pretty fun. Definitely going to put that one on the calendar.