Always Learning

2012 Running of The Mullet Fall Classic - October 7th

On Sunday, October 7th, 2012 the Iowa Mountain Bike Championship Series heads south to Lake Ahquabi State Park for the fifth running of the event at the park.

Registration is here at RaceRegister.net

Forest at Ahquabi

The new category of race added last year - the Marathon - will be back. Marathon Junkies will race in our very own Iowa version of riding in circles until the clock stops featuring a solo Marathon Open Class (men's and women's) as they grind it out for as many miles as they can do before the clock says stop.

The Mullet Fall Classic Mountain Bike Race will feature the 3+ Hour Marathon (the marathon race starts at 11:45 a.m. and any lap begun before the clock hits 3:00 p.m. can be completed and counts!!!), and of course, the usual 2012 IMBCS XC race categories of Expert (4 laps), Comp (3 laps), Sport (2 laps), and Beginner (1 lap) to battle for the Mullet Classic Fall podium spots in their respective XC race categories.

OneOfTheBridgeCrossings

This is Iowa's very own backwoods, super fast, fat tire XC race held on a course loop that rolls on the multi-use cross country ski, snowmobile, and hiking trail that circles Lake Ahquabi. This year features a 6.7 mile race loop that utilizes backwood sections of the wooded trails throughout Lake Ahquabi State Park to make for a scenic race filled with unique challenges.

**Potluck lunch after the racing featuring grilled meats, a beer garden, plenty of water, salads, main courses, desserts, sides and fun for all.

RACE DAY SCHEDULE:

MARATHON - 11:45 am start for the Marathon racers (prizes: awards and cash payout prizes for top 3 in Women's and Men's Marathon Open)

CAT 1 Expert Men/ - 12:00 pm (prizes: awards and cash payout prizes for top 3 in Expert Men Open) - 4 laps

CAT 1 Women's Open/CAT 2 Comp Men's Class/Singlespeed - 12:02 pm (awards and cash pay out prizes for top 3 in Expert Women's; awards for winners in Comp/SS) 3 laps

CAT 2 Sport Men/Sport Women/Sport Junior - 12:04 pm (awards for winners) 2 laps

CAT 3 Beginner Men/Beginner Women/Beginner Junior - 12:06 pm (awards for winners) 1 lap

Open Marathon Category Men Solo/Women Solo/Tandem Bike (prizes: cash pay out for top 3 in Marathon Men's Solo and Women's Solo categories) - 11:45 as many laps as you can fit into the time allotment!! When the clock hits 3 p.m., no more new laps may begin. However, if your final lap started before the clock hit 3 p.m. - it counts and winners will be those with the most laps done. That means the winning times for the cash could actually be closer to 3:30 - 3:45.

Awards Ceremony/Prizes/Post Race Party: Beginners as soon as the CAT 3 race is completed and results are ready. Sport/Comp/Expert at the completion of the Experts. Marathon at the completion of the Marathon.

KentIsCongratulated

The 6.7 mile loop includes a trip around Lake Ahquabi's multi-use trail with additional sections that include backwood trails. You will encounter gravel, dirt, roots, ruts, grass, logs, wooden bridges, climbs, fast descents and the best nature has to offer on this scenic course. The loop will be the perfect test of one's fitness with all of the full throttle speed and all of the climbing, but will not be technical in nature to scare off the entry level racer. In fact, this will be a perfect venue for first timers and experts alike. Come and join the fun!

Start/Finish area in front of the Beach Shelter. Loop will be run in a clockwise direction.

REGISTRATION INFORMATION:

Registration is online at Raceregister.net and closes on Friday, October 5th at 9pm.

We strongly urge everyone to register online at Raceregister.net to receive a free t-shirt and it helps us in preparing the bike numbers with the respective category tags for such a large group of racers - which is very time consuming. Entry fees are discounted for using online registration (see entry fees below).

Race Day Registration begins at 9:30am and closes at 11:15 am for those that do not, for some reason, register online. Again, we urge you to register online to help streamline the data entry that must be done this year and to receive a free t-shirt. Thanks!

ENTRY FEE: *$15-35 range

Marathon
    - $30 Pre-Registration/$35 Day of Race Registration

Expert Cat I - $30 Pre-Registration/$35 Day of Race Registration

Comp/Singlespeed Cat II
    - $25 Pre-Registration/$30 Day of Race Registration

Sport Cat II
    - $25 Pre-Registration/$30 Day of Race Registration

Juniors 18 & Under in Cat II
    - $15 Pre-Registration/$20 Day of Race Registration

Beginner Cat III - $20 Pre-Registration/$25 Day of Race Registration

••All proceeds from The Mullet (after expenses) will go to Central Iowa Trails Association as a donation.

DIRECTIONS:

Lake Ahquabi State Park is five miles south of Indianola (17 miles south of Des Moines) on Hwy. 65/69 and one mile west on G-58. Enter Lake Ahquabi State Park through the main entrance where G-58 ends and the entrance gate is located at the 4 way stop. Parking and registration will be at the Lake Ahquabi Beach Shelter (once you enter the park, follow the road all the way down the hill to the beach area). We will use the Beach Shelter for the day of the race and restrooms (Porta Potties) will be located there as well.

Online Registration is here at RaceRegister.net

More information here.

Always Learning

Electronic Timing Added...

Announcing the use of a different kind of electronic timing this year at The Mullet.

This year will feature the disposable transponders that are attached to the back of the bike's number plate. This will help streamline check-in for pre-registered racers and remove the worry of collecting fork mounted or ankle mounted transponders after a racer crosses the finish line.

Online registration provides a free t-shirt, a discounted entry fee and closes on Friday, October 5th at 9 pm. That means you have a little over 2 weeks to get registered online.

Do it here.

Always Learning

Trail Work Update...

5 hours of trail work yesterday to remove recently fallen/dropping trees, filled dirt on two lower lying culvert crossing problem spots, trimmed trail side growth, and marked the course.

It's ready for racing. Head on out for a pre-ride of the course in this beautiful fall weather.

2 weeks from today is The Mullet Race Day!

Time to register...

Always Learning

One week to go!!!

Reminder: Registration closes a week from tonight (Friday, October 5th at 9 pm). Race Day Forecast for 10/7: 65 and sunny!!!!

Get registered so we can print your t-shirt!!!

mtbr member
    The course is in great shape! Thanks Bruce!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by fjtort2 View Post
    The course is in great shape! Thanks Bruce!
    It's riding quite well this year.

Fall weather on tap for the weekend....

Mullet Weekend

NeedGod.com
    I'm used to riding in 105 degree weather. This is going to be Brrrrrrr.
    Nathan

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    I'm used to riding in 105 degree weather. This is going to be Brrrrrrr.
    Is it time to grow a pair?

We had a stretch of that kind of intense heat this summer - and it was miserable!!!

Don't forget our XC race season starts in April. Most races in April/May see similar temperatures in the 55-65 degree range and nobody complains too much. The Mullet - I promise - will be warmer than the Renegade Gents race that had us out there in the cold and rain for 5 or 6 hours. We'll have sunshine and dry which will help out quite a bit. And think of a nice bowl of hot chili after you cool down from the race.

Sure, June-August, we're racing in the heat and everybody complains about the heat.

Now that fall is here and temperatures are returning to what they were in the early part of the XC racing season, nothing wrong with a dry sunny day and temperatures in the 55-60 range for a mountain bike race. Maybe not as ideal as I would like it to be (65 - 70 would be ideal in my opinion), but you deal with what Ma Nature throws at you. Monday and Tuesday will be back to 69-71, but the race is on Sunday.

That being said - for those on the fence weather wise, the weather will be classic fall fun.

Book End Racing Temperatures

Sylvan Island in April - the IMBCS #1 of the 2012 season - was about 61 degrees at race time and we were all lathered up in our lycra....

Sylvan Island

IMBCS #10 to close the 2012 season - The Mullet Fall Classic in October - upper 50's and sunshine shouldn't be a problem at all for a nice book end.
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 10-04-2012 at 05:24 AM.

NeedGod.com
    Just gave me an excuse to purchase a new thermal jersey. I'll be there, large balls and all, wise-ass. I was out there tonight and it felt good once I got warmed up.
    Nathan

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    Just gave me an excuse to purchase a new thermal jersey. I'll be there, large balls and all, wise-ass. I was out there tonight and it felt good once I got warmed up.
    Now now, I'm not trying to be too much of a wise-ass.

Yesterday was a good indicator of what it will feel like on Sunday.

A warm jersey (long sleeved), or arm-warmers will help keep one warm for the race itself if need be. As you found, once you get warmed up and going, you don't want to be too overdressed with layers. But a thin base layer under the kit with good socks and full finger gloves should be plenty to keep one comfortable. At least they are in the early spring races and training rides.

Pre-race and post-race clothing will be the more important choice after one cools down from the ride. That's where I would suggest bringing along a stocking cap, coat, gloves, hiking boots, pants and layers to keep nice and toasty for the awards, potluck and party. I can build a fire in the Beach Shelter fire place to keep things toasty in that "building" now that the fire ban has been lifted.

I'm just glad I'm not sitting out watching a high school football game tonight with kick-off temperatures being around 40 degrees!

BB

Always Learning
    Race Day

Sunday, October 7th

The trail is flying.

mtbr member
    Perfect weather!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That was definitely good weather...and a good time! Thanks Bruce and all of the other volunteers!

mtbr member
    Yup, Thanks Bruce!

Always Learning

Race Results Link

Race Results can be found here:

Mullet Fall Classic/IMBCS #10 2012 Results