Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 149
  1. #1
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,170

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures

    I didn't see one, so have fun!

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    bikes don't have motors
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,292
    Right below this thread;

    Tis Gravel Season...Ride Pics Thread 2017

    Like your All City by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.

  3. #3
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Right below this thread;

    Tis Gravel Season...Ride Pics Thread 2017

    Like your All City by the way.
    Thanks! Since it was a "ride pic" thread, I thought I could get away with it.

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

    Edit: The "Thanks" was for the bike compliment.

  4. #4
    bikes don't have motors
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,292
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Thanks! Since it was a "ride pic" thread, I thought I could get away with it.

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

    Edit: The "Thanks" was for the bike compliment.


    You may just get away with it at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ladljon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    298

    Taos

    Trail 18
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-fullsizeoutput_529.jpg  

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-fullsizeoutput_52d.jpg  


  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mnyquist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    388


    Open UP painted matte black
    Easton EC70 AX bars (44)
    Enve seatpost
    Easton EC70 stem
    Rival 1 hydro
    Easton EC90 crank (44T)
    Selle Italia flight flow carbon railed saddle
    Nox Composites Skyline 27.5 rims with Industry 9 road disk hubs (lime green)
    Thunder Burt SS 27.5x2.1

    I will be swapping the 44T for an AB oval 42T, soon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,282
    CruX gravellator

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

  8. #8
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,170
    Nice rides guys! Keep them coming

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    147
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-render-2.jpg

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-render-9844.jpg

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,922
    Took my 3 speed shopping bike gravel riding along part of the HT550 route.

    Started just after the hills in the far background. Quite a workout.

    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,547
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-renegade-maiden-voyage-1.jpg

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-summit-spruce-knob.jpg

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-13507160_10154277498064291_6969735445329823587_n.jpg

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-7-16-17.jpg

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-4-28-17-rimrock-1.jpg

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-32154406_10156308194994291_498285016007049216_o.jpg
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    93
    My " Jack of all trades":




  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    457
    I love this bike.

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-20180516_102812.jpg

  14. #14
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,170
    In her element!

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    11
    Here's mine:
    Buttermere by mapledocumentdesign, on Flickr

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SteveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,111
    My Jamis Renegade steel, all 650b'd and fendered...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-img_20180520_105805440.jpg  


  17. #17
    noob bikepacker
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,766
    My jack of all trades as well:

    there is gravel under that snow, I swear
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-antr1-16-1.jpg

    end of a gravel road/singletrack trip in Michigan...that was a dusty day for sure.
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-2016-07-17-10.37.41.jpg
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    My jack of all trades as well:

    there is gravel under that snow, I swear
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antr1:16#1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	1199433

    end of a gravel road/singletrack trip in Michigan...that was a dusty day for sure.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-17 10.37.41.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	1199434
    Hilarious.

    Sticking with your definition of gravel bike/jack-of-all-trades, here is one of my jack-of-all-trades on some local heinous pavement.

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-render-01981.jpg

  19. #19
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,170
    Come on guys! Please don't turn this into a bickering thread!

    This is a Gravel Bike Picture thread. Thanks!

    Mods can this be our first Sticky on this forum?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-ar-161209971.jpg


    Look out!

  21. #21
    noob bikepacker
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,766
    I am not trying to start anything...I posted a pic of my gravel bike....I legit use my Krampus on gravel, snow, single track, busted up country roads, paved trails, commuting etc...that is why I bought it...versatility.

    I have no reason to argue with anyone about their bike choice
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

  22. #22
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,282
    Ok I'll play

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    16
    Diverge on some singletrack

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-download_20180523_080720.jpg

  24. #24
    z1r
    z1r is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    371
    Here's mine. Been riding gravel on her for 22 years now. When it was new Ritchey made the Alfabite in a 700x40. Great tire that took me many places.
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-unzumrv.jpg
    Bought a Macho Man frame 2 years ago to build up but a shoulder injury sidetracked me. Now that I am better I picked up an All City Cosmic Stallion since it is ready to ride. I'll post pics when I get a chance to take it out for a spin.
    Last edited by z1r; 05-25-2018 at 07:25 PM.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,547
    My daughter is in 2nd grade and they read the story about Flat Stanley. Maybe some of you are familiar. Anyways...she had to mail Flat Stanley to someone and that person is supposed to take Stanley around on some adventures and then write about those adventures. When done...she takes Stanley and the story back to school to share with her class.

    Anyways...I got Stanley so I've been taking him with me on various trips. Today...he got to go on a bike ride with me. He seemed to enjoy it but offered no help pedaling on the hills. Thankfully he added very little weight to my bike....

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-flat-stanley.jpg
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

  26. #26
    z1r
    z1r is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    371
    ^^^^^

    That Flat Stanley sure does get around!

    What bars are you running?

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,547
    Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    ^^^^^

    That Flat Stanley sure does get around!

    What bars are you running?
    On One Midge bars.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

  28. #28
    z1r
    z1r is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    371
    Thanks Nubster. Looking at a set of Cowchippers tomorrow. I have a set of Gary OS bars on my all purpose bike but think there is a little too much drop. I like the Cowbells on my NB but also like the flare on the Gary. Cowchipper is supposed to be like a mashup of both.

    My SS Gravel grinder at the Rio Grande Gorge outside of Taos. It was too wet for trail 18 that weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-20180408_093459.jpg  


  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,547
    Sweet. I really like the Midge bars...little drop and not too much flare. Less than it looks in the pic. I ride the hoods 99% of the time anyways. I haven't tried any other bars of this style though. I got these used from one of the guys that actually helped design them. They are pretty cheap directly from On-One but the shipping cost is stupid. More than the bars. Still cheaper than something like the Cowchipper but I can't bring my self to spend $42 shipping on a pair of $33 bars....lol
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    917
    Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    Thanks Nubster. Looking at a set of Cowchippers tomorrow. I have a set of Gary OS bars on my all purpose bike but think there is a little too much drop. I like the Cowbells on my NB but also like the flare on the Gary. Cowchipper is supposed to be like a mashup of both.

    My SS Gravel grinder at the Rio Grande Gorge outside of Taos. It was too wet for trail 18 that weekend.
    Go day-drinking at the hot spring instead.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    93
    my girls new one - just arrived:

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-bike_001_9.jpg

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mongol777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    867
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-back-final.jpg
    ****************************
    Don't believe everything you think
    ****************************

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mongol777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    867
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-fronth.jpg
    ****************************
    Don't believe everything you think
    ****************************

  34. #34
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back final.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	1200030
    Nice! All City?

    What frame bag are you using? Thx.

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mongol777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    867
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-rm-sherpa-back.jpg
    ****************************
    Don't believe everything you think
    ****************************

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mongol777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    867
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-awol-front.jpg
    ****************************
    Don't believe everything you think
    ****************************

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mongol777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    867
    I have couple more but can't find recent pics. Posting this made me realized that number of my gravel bikes surpassed number of my road bikes and mtb bikes (separately for sure and probably combined as well :-))
    But then again - I also ride my Krampus, KM and Moonie on gravel and never hesitate to turn onto gravel road on my roadie.
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-nb-853-front-650b.jpg
    ****************************
    Don't believe everything you think
    ****************************

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mongol777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Nice! All City?

    What frame bag are you using? Thx.

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Yep, latest acquisition - Gorilla Monsoon. It is so good that I did not touch any other bike for last couple of weeks. And I can't stop riding it - I usually pick a day or two every week when I don't ride, just to give my legs some rest. GM makes me riding non-stop, my best All-City to date and I have quite a few.
    I use Revelate half frame bag or whatever it is called
    ****************************
    Don't believe everything you think
    ****************************

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    317
    Nice bikes!
    Like I said on another thread, with all the Gravel Bikes talk lately I want one. But it will probably be more Cyclocross than Gravel.
    I would want the maximum tire to be 700x38C or (maybe) 700x40C. Any terrain requiring tires bigger than that it is probably best on my MTB.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    457
    I started with MSO 50's which are awesome in the woods. Then switched to 38c Triggers which were terrible on anything but smooth dirt and pavement.

    Ended up settling on Resolute 42's and they are fantastic. My wife has Nano 40's and they are pretty impressive as well.

    I wouldn't shy away from larger tires if you are riding crushed stone or bigger. They all roll real well on the pavement.

    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    Nice bikes!
    Like I said on another thread, with all the Gravel Bikes talk lately I want one. But it will probably be more Cyclocross than Gravel.
    I would want the maximum tire to be 700x38C or (maybe) 700x40C. Any terrain requiring tires bigger than that it is probably best on my MTB.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Squirrel View Post
    I started with MSO 50's which are awesome in the woods. Then switched to 38c Triggers which were terrible on anything but smooth dirt and pavement.

    Ended up settling on Resolute 42's and they are fantastic. My wife has Nano 40's and they are pretty impressive as well.

    I wouldn't shy away from larger tires if you are riding crushed stone or bigger. They all roll real well on the pavement.
    Yeah, it all depends on the terrain conditions. It would be used on the road, sidewalks, etc., to get to the gravel roads, so it would preferably be fast too.
    Without knowing much, 700x38C tires sound like the best choice.

  42. #42
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,170
    Sweet collection! Thanks for posting. I think that bag will work for my trip in the summer. (well, not THAT bag)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    Yep, latest acquisition - Gorilla Monsoon. It is so good that I did not touch any other bike for last couple of weeks. And I can't stop riding it - I usually pick a day or two every week when I don't ride, just to give my legs some rest. GM makes me riding non-stop, my best All-City to date and I have quite a few.
    I use Revelate half frame bag or whatever it is called
    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mongol777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Sweet collection! Thanks for posting. I think that bag will work for my trip in the summer. (well, not THAT bag)

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Very welcome! Here is close up on bag fit. I believe it is size Medium, my GM is 55cm. I use same bag on my Nature Boy 853, also 55cm and on Mr Pink (also 55cm). It also fits on AWOL in Med
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-frame-bag-gm.jpg
    ****************************
    Don't believe everything you think
    ****************************

  44. #44
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,170
    Nice! Yep on 55 as well. That GM is awesome! Thanks for the close up, pretty much what I was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    Very welcome! Here is close up on bag fit. I believe it is size Medium, my GM is 55cm. I use same bag on my Nature Boy 853, also 55cm and on Mr Pink (also 55cm). It also fits on AWOL in Med
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame bag GM.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	1200047
    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,215



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  46. #46
    noob bikepacker
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,766
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sweet!!! Snow....I want snow. Where is that?
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    Sweet!!! Snow....I want snow. Where is that?
    That was an April photo, spring came pretty late.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice pictures! Looks like a great place to ride.

  49. #49
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,170
    I wish we had never ending roads like that! Great pix!

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    93
    Yesterday: 95km graveltour around the US Army training area Hohenfels Bavaria

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-bike_001_5.jpg
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-bike_001_6.jpgPost Your Gravel Bike Pictures-bike_001_7.jpg

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    411
    Rodeo labs Flaanimal






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  52. #52
    noob bikepacker
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,766
    Quote Originally Posted by rad3144 View Post
    Rodeo labs Flaanimal






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    wow..that is a well thought out machine!!! bravo!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

  53. #53
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,282
    Re-fitted with Sram Force 1 and hydros and an Easton EC90 AX flared bar.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

  54. #54
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Re-fitted with Sram Force 1 and hydros and an Easton EC90 AX flared bar.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    That's a beast!

    Bikes Rock!

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,090
    Really loving this thing. 2017 Raleigh RXM to replace my old Frankenstein road/gravel/whatever bike.

    Just put on new wheels before these pics. Bike is perfect for my "not mountain biking" riding.


    Last edited by Lithified; 06-07-2018 at 06:15 PM.

  56. #56
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Really loving this thing. 2017 Raleigh RXM to replace my old Frankenstein road/gravel/whatever bike.

    Just put on new wheels before these pics. Bike is perfect for my "not mountain biking" riding.


    Bummer can't see the pix.

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    457
    Updated pic with the new tires and bags on.

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-20180606_103334.jpg
    Eat Clean and Pedal More

    www.eatcleanpedalmore.com

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,922
    Rode up the steep descent of the local mtb course. Some walking involved...

    35mm isn't enough tyre for loose gravel on a climb. Once the wheel spins out, you can't get going again.

    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    9,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Rode up the steep descent of the local mtb course. Some walking involved...

    35mm isn't enough tyre for loose gravel on a climb. Once the wheel spins out, you can't get going again.


    ^that doesn't look like much of a climbing gear
    I brake for stinkbugs

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    33
    My new Jamis Renegade Escapade




  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,922
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    ^that doesn't look like much of a climbing gear
    It isn't. It's a 48 front, rear is about 19 or 20 (can't remember which).

    There was zigging and zagging and hopping, lurching and more hopping involved, and when that didn't work the famous SS low gear. The style wasn't pretty.

    It was great on the rolling stuff though, could get enough speed on the downs to almost take me over the next up.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  62. #62
    z1r
    z1r is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    It isn't. It's a 48 front, rear is about 19 or 20 (can't remember which).

    There was zigging and zagging and hopping, lurching and more hopping involved, and when that didn't work the famous SS low gear. The style wasn't pretty.

    It was great on the rolling stuff though, could get enough speed on the downs to almost take me over the next up.
    The 35's may have worked better had the gearing been a little lower. I ride my SS on 33's over quite a lot of loose gravel, etc. but when the slope exceeds my gearing the tires are certainly more likely to break lose. My gearing is 42/18. I like your bike though.

    Do you have clearance for bigger tires?

  63. #63
    z1r
    z1r is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampelhasser View Post
    My new Jamis Renegade Escapade



    Sweet. I remember when Ritchey made the old AlfaBite trail mixes in gumwall. They were awesome.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    40
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-e773e6d9-3afd-4916-aa70-3d688e00f99b.jpg

    Ibis Hakka MX
    Ibis 27.5 x 2.1 with Schwalbe Thunder Burt
    Sram Red shifters and calipers
    Sram Rival rear derailleur
    E13 cassette (9-46)
    Praxis carbon crank (38)
    KS Lev Zeta dropper seat post
    Fizik Gobi with carbon rails
    Enve bars (44) and stem (100)
    Shimano XTR pedals
    Arundel cages

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,922
    Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    ...Do you have clearance for bigger tires?
    If there was, they would be in there.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,090
    Dupont State Forest lunch ride

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-20180614_125607.jpg

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,922
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    93
    singlespeed in the Scottish Highlands


  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    14
    Here’s my Straggler.

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-d8a9e39a-9c88-4a19-92b9-9348cb2946e9.jpg

  70. #70
    I'm #87!
    Reputation: Forster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,610
    Perhaps not "technically" a gravel bike, my Lynskey sees a lot of gravel each week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-pa071021.jpg  

    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

  71. #71
    noob bikepacker
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad In A Van View Post
    Here’s my Straggler.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D8A9E39A-9C88-4A19-92B9-9348CB2946E9.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	1203903
    what a beautiful sight...both the bike and the terrain. Wish I was there instead of in this miserable heat. Looks cool and refreshing

    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Perhaps not "technically" a gravel bike, my Lynskey sees a lot of gravel each week.
    oh yeah. That can be a gravel bike. Really, anything can be...aim your bike at gravel; go; you have a gravel grinder!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

  72. #72
    I'm #87!
    Reputation: Forster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,610
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    That can be a gravel bike. Really, anything can be...aim your bike at gravel; go; you have a gravel grinder!
    Proper tires help.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

  73. #73
    Enthusiast
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,321
    Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	awol front.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	1200033
    I like this one! It's the tires, I think. They make the look, and it's a good look.

  74. #74
    chasing simplicity
    Reputation: MattMay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    877
    Happy Fathers Day to me! 3T Exploro LTD flatmount gravel build project begins. Love the design sensibility of Gerard Vroomen. Build plan is 650b (47mm WTB Byways), SRAM Force 1, Easton ec90 cranks, Absolute Black 42 oval single ring, 10-42 cassette, Light Bicycle Wheels w/I9 hubs. Thanks to Dave Zabriskie of DZNuthouse.com for the recommendation.

    I know what it's like to be dead. "To Die & Live In LA."

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    317

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    Happy Fathers Day to me! 3T Exploro LTD flatmount gravel build project begins. Love the design sensibility of Gerard Vroomen. Build plan is 650b (47mm WTB Byways), SRAM Force 1, Easton ec90 cranks, Absolute Black 42 oval single ring, 10-42 cassette, Light Bicycle Wheels w/I9 hubs. Thanks to Dave Zabriskie of DZNuthouse.com for the recommendation.

    Nice! Congratulations! Post pictures of the finished product, when done.

  76. #76
    chasing simplicity
    Reputation: MattMay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    877
    Will do!
    I know what it's like to be dead. "To Die & Live In LA."

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    66
    I rode my first organized gravel grind a couple of weeks ago. I took my old 2008 (?) Gary Fisher Wingra "fast city" hybrid, added a new cassette with 34 largest cog. WTB Riddler 37c tires, and Surly Moloko bars.

    I wasn't quite ready for the climbing (near Yosemite), but it was fun. My buddy and i rode it together, and we took our time. He was on a Surly Long Haul Trucker disc.

    We came in last, but then it was just a ride for us, and most raced it. I swear, i was waiting in line to use the restroom as the last group set out at the starting line... lol We stopped twice to try out filtering water from a creek with my new backpacking BeFree water filter. And taking three GoPros, and being a photographer, i made us stop to shoot various scenes along the way. "Ok, so i'm going to set up here, you go back and on my count, ride past me, but don't look at the camera!!!" The Buddy was all for it and had fun too.

    Here's my little video of the ride: https://youtu.be/EtL21JVkeeM

    I think i may want a real gravel bike now

    eric
    fresno, ca.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-gf_wingra_gg1.jpg  


  78. #78
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,038
    2002 version of a Gravel Bike:

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-lemond_bigcreek_singletrack.jpg

    I tried running lower pressure last night. I dropped it down to 50 psi on my 32mm. It was really good on the single track but I was feeling sluggish on the pavement, though it could have just been me. But I did find my rear brakes were dragging a little when I got home; it would only spin a couple of times before stopping.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

  79. #79
    Enthusiast
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,321
    I'm loving the bikes, and also the scenery behind them. Below is a recent shot that I like. It shows a section of old rail grade that is a favorite of mine. Beaver activity and the terrain and drainage patterns combine to present some interesting patches of water to ride through.

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-priority-gravel-medium-.jpg

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SteveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,111
    Pic from exploring the Seasonal roads in and around the Sleeping Bear Dunes on my Renegade recently...


  81. #81
    jms
    jms is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,840

    The Timber Spork

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-fullsizeoutput_2c1.jpg
    My Favorite Peeps:

  82. #82
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-render-2675.jpg

    Niner RLT RDO
    Enve SES 4.5 AR disc/Chris King R45 rear/Chris King ISO SD front
    SRAM Red eTap HRD
    Enve seatpost/stem
    Easton EC70 AX bar
    AB Oval rings
    Tire flavor and size varies by ride.

  83. #83
    jms
    jms is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,840
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render-2675.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	1204763

    Niner RLT RDO
    Enve SES 4.5 AR disc/Chris King R45 rear/Chris King ISO SD front
    SRAM Red eTap HRD
    Enve seatpost/stem
    Easton EC70 AX bar
    AB Oval rings
    Tire flavor and size varies by ride.
    Looks like it made short work of Bolinas RidgeTrail
    My Favorite Peeps:

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dibbs_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,080

    700c and 650b....

    Both wheelsets = huge fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-img_5262-2.jpg  

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-img_6063.jpg  

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-img_6138.jpg  

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-img_5257.jpg  


  85. #85
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,170
    ^^Beautiful in photos, but even more live. Ran into a guy at one of my trails riding one, pretty sweet ride!

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    317

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs_ View Post
    Both wheelsets = huge fun.
    Very nice bike! Beautiful!

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by ericzamora View Post
    I rode my first organized gravel grind a couple of weeks ago. I took my old 2008 (?) Gary Fisher Wingra "fast city" hybrid, added a new cassette with 34 largest cog. WTB Riddler 37c tires, and Surly Moloko bars.

    I wasn't quite ready for the climbing (near Yosemite), but it was fun. My buddy and i rode it together, and we took our time. He was on a Surly Long Haul Trucker disc.

    We came in last, but then it was just a ride for us, and most raced it. I swear, i was waiting in line to use the restroom as the last group set out at the starting line... lol We stopped twice to try out filtering water from a creek with my new backpacking BeFree water filter. And taking three GoPros, and being a photographer, i made us stop to shoot various scenes along the way. "Ok, so i'm going to set up here, you go back and on my count, ride past me, but don't look at the camera!!!" The Buddy was all for it and had fun too.

    Here's my little video of the ride: https://youtu.be/EtL21JVkeeM

    I think i may want a real gravel bike now

    eric
    fresno, ca.
    I did the same thing with my 2008 GF Mendota. It's been in a ton of variations from saddle bag laden committed to drop bar super roadie. Latest is a parts boom gravel build for the wife.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    33








    BD Motobecane Fantom Cross Comp 2019

    Aluminum frame, carbon fork, SRAM drive parts 1x11, Shimano hydraulic brakes, FSA headset, RaceFace cockpit upgrades and pedals, WTB rims and Riddler tires 700x45c.

    It's a really fast, really fun bike to ride all over town and tackle some singletrack if I am there.

    Cheers from MN

  89. #89
    z1r
    z1r is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    371
    Finally finished the MMD. Robbed most of the parts off my Fantom Cross.Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-xexdffah.jpg

  90. #90
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    Finally finished the MMD. Robbed most of the parts off my Fantom Cross.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xexdFFAh.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	1205037
    Sweet, how do you like it?

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

  91. #91
    z1r
    z1r is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Sweet, how do you like it?

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Took it for my first real ride on this morning's commute. It was very fast for a not so light weight bike. Maybe I was just excited to ride it? Only real issue is the rear derailleur. It ran fine with an 11-36 cassette on the Fantom cross, but doesn't like the 32 on the big ring. Not sure if I want to replace the derailleur or just use an 11-32 cassette instead. Shifts great, but in the stand the cage hits the 36 cog when you are on the 32. B tension screw ran out of travel.

  92. #92
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    Thanks. Took it for my first real ride on this morning's commute. It was very fast for a not so light weight bike. Maybe I was just excited to ride it? Only real issue is the rear derailleur. It ran fine with an 11-36 cassette on the Fantom cross, but doesn't like the 32 on the big ring. Not sure if I want to replace the derailleur or just use an 11-32 cassette instead. Shifts great, but in the stand the cage hits the 36 cog when you are on the 32. B tension screw ran out of travel.
    Awesome, I'm sure you will get it to where you want it. I don't care what anyone says, damn sexy bike lol.

  93. #93
    z1r
    z1r is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Awesome, I'm sure you will get it to where you want it. I don't care what anyone says, damn sexy bike lol.
    Kinda thought you might feel that way!

    I just wish I would have remembered to put a water bottle in the cage after I attached it last night. Gonna be in the high 90's on the way home! :-(

  94. #94
    Not the fake Jay Leno
    Reputation: Chinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    348
    Picked up a Breezer Inversion this weekend. I think this is a great bike for the price - a real sleeper. Performance bike had 30 % back for team performance members last week. It came with 34c tires. I may try a bit larger, but the setup is great for mixed road and gravel that I’m going to use it for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-4b166205-0d5f-4aaa-8f65-f46792a7ab70.jpg  


  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    386

    Marin Nicasio (just the frame)

    I picked up this frame (steel), put on a 105 drive train and some WTB frequency wheels. I'm running Kenda Flintridge Pro (33's). The bike is super comfortable, but heavy... Just under 25 pounds. Probably going to keep rolling it as is for now. Just won't be the first guy up any long climbs.Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-20180408_095145.jpg
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Fuji Grand Fondo Classico 1.3
    2017 Marin Nicasio gravel bike

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    386

    A few more pics

    I do have a ton of fun riding this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-20171203_104246.jpg  

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-20180426_110322.jpg  

    Post Your Gravel Bike Pictures-20180513_100718.jpg  

    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Fuji Grand Fondo Classico 1.3
    2017 Marin Nicasio gravel bike

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    156
    Here is my gravel steed: 2015 Kona Rove ST with 1x10, DT Swiss X 1700 wheels, Spyres and a Redshift Shockstop stem holding a Ritchey Venturemax bar.

  98. #98
    chasing simplicity
    Reputation: MattMay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    877
    First ride today on new 3T Exploro Ltd. First rides on new bikes always feel fast(er).

    I know what it's like to be dead. "To Die & Live In LA."

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by TimoA View Post
    Here is my gravel steed: 2015 Kona Rove ST with 1x10, DT Swiss X 1700 wheels, Spyres and a Redshift Shockstop stem holding a Ritchey Venturemax bar.
    How do like the Redshift Shockstop stem?

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    First ride today on new 3T Exploro Ltd. First rides on new bikes always feel fast(er).

    Very nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Post Pictures of your 27.5/ 650B Bike
    By bikestudio in forum 27.5
    Replies: 268
    Last Post: 54 Minutes Ago, 04:13 PM
  2. ARC Carbon pictures and some more pictures
    By smithcreek in forum Yeti
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 07:00 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 01:53 PM
  4. Replies: 269
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 07:13 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 01:42 PM

Members who have read this thread: 309

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.