mtbr member
    May 2013

Do we need two cyclocross sub-forums?

Aren't cyclocross and gravel bikes almost the same? I'm not understanding the logic of this sub forum. And while I'm at it, what's with the 29er components sub forum? If that's the case, why not have a 27.5 components, 26 components sub forum as well? Isn't that just playing favorites to the 29er crowed?
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

Bikesexual
    Isn't easier not to subscribe or follow something you are not interested in?

Some of us don't race CX, but love our gravel bikes.

I do understand there is a boatload of forums, I just follow what I'm interested in.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Do we need two cyclocross sub-forums?-troll.jpg ....
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troll.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	1198183 ....
    I usually like your comments, but not this one.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ok so I had to watch this to understand the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baRCEIxV9Lc&t=5s

Which she basically says they're the same but one is optimized for one thing and the other is optimized for traveling and carrying gear.... but we have a sub forum for that too. Bikepacking and Bike Expedition. Seems like there's some overlap. Sorry for the rant, but I'm slightly OCD when it comes to organizing spaces.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    Ok so I had to watch this to understand the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baRCEIxV9Lc&t=5s

Which she basically says they're the same but one is optimized for one thing and the other is optimized for traveling and carrying gear.... but we have a sub forum for that too. Bikepacking and Bike Expedition. Seems like there's some overlap. Sorry for the rant, but I'm slightly OCD when it comes to organizing spaces.

Site Feedback/Issues - Mtbr.com

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Aren't cyclocross and gravel bikes almost the same? I'm not understanding the logic of this sub forum. And while I'm at it, what's with the 29er components sub forum? If that's the case, why not have a 27.5 components, 26 components sub forum as well? Isn't that just playing favorites to the 29er crowed?
    A cyclocross bike is a purpose built bike for racing round a muddy field for an hour or so, and it is restricted in design by the UCI.

Gravel bikes are for going somewhere. Much larger tyres, plus frequently have the braze-ons to take luggage, fenders, and no restrictions mandated by the racing crowd.

I wouldn't look at a cyclocross bike (I have one) for what I'd use a gravel bike because I know its limitations.

So yes, a separate forum.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So I'm getting to know the difference between cyclocross and gravel bike by looking online and finding out a lot of interesting tidbits. It seems to me that cyclocross is nothing more than roadies riding their bikes where mountain bikes would be better suited, and as a result they need to pick up their bikes and literally carry them up hills and obstacles instead of just riding over them as you would on a regular mountain bike. Apparently this kind of thing is huge in Europe. (Europeans and their weird sports like cricket... when then could just play baseball like the rest of the world)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclo-cross
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

Neg repped for trolling

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Neg repped for trolling
    F* off. I thought you were cool but I realize you're just a turd.

edit: f*ck can't negative rep you cause I positive repped you in the past. *bang head on wall* need to give reps so I can neg rep you.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

F* off. I thought you were cool but I realize you're just a turd.

edit: f*ck can't negative rep you cause I positive repped you in the past. *bang head on wall* need to give reps so I can neg rep you.

meh

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So I'm getting to know the difference between cyclocross and gravel bike by looking online and finding out a lot of interesting tidbits.
    You’re doing it wrong

Research first, then make proclamations based of a foundation of knowledge.

You’ll be less likely to look like an idiot again.

passed out in your garden
    Sorry for the rant, but I'm slightly OCD when it comes to organizing spaces.
    well get your spaces organised, and then it wont be a problem
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fillaroida View Post
    You’re doing it wrong

Research first, then make proclamations based of a foundation of knowledge.

You’ll be less likely to look like an idiot again.
    They look the same. Can't blame someone base on what 90% of the people on the internet can't tell either without having to google extensively for the differences. Even then they aren't clear. Honestly it just seem like semantics. CX is a race discipline and not a bike type, but they are both basically the same kinds of bikes just that one is "more optimized" for racing. As for looking like an idiot. I argue that the vast majority of riders (and I've been riding for a while) can't tell the difference between the two.

At the risk of looking like an "idiot" can you tell me which is which?

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  6.2 KB
    Name:  CheckpointSL5WSD_22633_A_Primary.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  13.1 KB
    Name:  111690.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  13.7 KB
    Name:  CheckpointALR5WSD_22631_A_Primary.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  13.4 KB
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  13.0 KB
    Name:  exploro.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  13.5 KB
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    [QUOTE=Lemonaid;13665227]They look the same. Can't blame someone base on what 90% of the people on the internet can't tell either without having to google extensively for the differences. Even then they aren't clear. Honestly it just seem like semantics. CX is a race discipline and not a bike type, but they are both basically the same kinds of bikes just that one is "more optimized" for racing. As for looking like an idiot. I argue that the vast majority of riders (and I've been riding for a while) can't tell the difference between the two.

At the risk of looking like an "idiot" can you tell me which is which? [QUOTE]
    You're tilting at windmills. Already explained to you. Think bb drop, head angle, CS length, trail etc. Plus braze ones, gearing and tire width. Compare a race mt bike, a hardtail, etc. Same thing. Do you race cross? Or have one? 90% of the internet? That would be flat earthers who like cat videos and think zombies are real. Yikes. Subtle differences, yup. I don't race. My gravel grinder is a karate monkey with plus tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    CX is a race discipline and not a bike type, but they are both basically the same kinds of bikes just that one is "more optimized" for racing. As for looking like an idiot. I argue that the vast majority of riders (and I've been riding for a while) can't tell the difference between the two.
    See, this is another example of why you should do some research/gain some actual experience before chiming in lest you look like an idiot. Again.

CX is both a race discipline and a bike type. Gravel and CX aren’t “basically the same kinds of bikes” - there are distinct differences between them.

Please keep on digging that hole though.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    See, this is another example of why you should do some research/gain some actual experience before chiming in lest you look like an idiot. Again.

CX is both a race discipline and a bike type. Gravel and CX aren’t “basically the same kinds of bikes” - there are distinct differences between them.

Please keep on digging that hole though.
    So tell me which of the bikes above is an cx and which is a gravel? Or are you just talking out of your ass?
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

Stone Jack Baller
    Last edited by slowpoker; 05-16-2018 at 03:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So tell me which of the bikes above is an cx and which is a gravel? or are you an idiot too?
    Yo Einstein, I’m on my phone and looking at fuzzy, side-on only, photos is a silly test. Idiotic even.

The differences have already been explained to you yet you persist with your idiotic claim that they are the same.

Why?

mtbr member
    So tell me which of the bikes above is an cx and which is a gravel? Or are you just talking out of your ass?
    I think you'll find that we are still in the early days of the "gravelbike".

Many people used CXs for the purpose, but evolution is happening.

Without restrictions, tyres are getting wider, and I predict that in 2-3 years time, gravel bikes will be at least 2" and possibly 2.35" because that is about the volume required for low pressures to allow nice comfortable days out on gravel and rough roads.

"But that's a 29er", will be the cry.

"So what?" will be the answer because right now the most effective gravelbike is a 29er modded towards the road spectrum.

However evolution will continue, and we'll see more horizontal toptubes (better for bigger frame bags), and higher head tubes so the drop bars will be carried at a more comfortable height than a pure race bike. Mudguards (fenders) will be more commonly fitted because there's nothing like 8 hours of riding on wet dirt roads to give you an appreciation for them. Apart from our fatter tyres, we'll end up with a profile rather like a 1950/6s clubmans's bike. Tread will be minimal, or at least in the centre of the tyre because a large volume tyre gets its grip by conformation to the surface, not ripping little chunks out of it with lugs.

Here's one I brewed up recently:

Nothing fancy. Just stuffed some 2" tyres into a hybrid and put short drops on it. Plus a few other wee mods. Works better on the surfaces shown than 35mm for sure.

Now I need to try it on the huge network of forestry gravel tracks in my local area - most of which is much rougher because it gets trashed by heavy machinery.

At the moment I prefer my modded 29er, but there's a big list of jobs to do yet. Most importantly, better wheels and more compliant tyres.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yo Einstein, I’m on my phone and looking at fuzzy, side-on only, photos is a silly test. Idiotic even.

The differences have already been explained to you yet you persist with your idiotic claim that they are the same.

Why?
    Yea i thought so. You can't answer a silly little question. Who's the idiot now? Maybe your should think before opening your mouth. Then you'll look less like an idiot.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I think you'll find that we are still in the early days of the "gravelbike".

Many people used CXs for the purpose, but evolution is happening.

Without restrictions, tyres are getting wider, and I predict that in 2-3 years time, gravel bikes will be at least 2" and possibly 2.35" because that is about the volume required for low pressures to allow nice comfortable days out on gravel and rough roads.

"But that's a 29er", will be the cry.

"So what?" will be the answer because right now the most effective gravelbike is a 29er modded towards the road spectrum.

However evolution will continue, and we'll see more horizontal toptubes (better for bigger frame bags), and higher head tubes so the drop bars will be carried at a more comfortable height than a pure race bike. Mudguards (fenders) will be more commonly fitted because there's nothing like 8 hours of riding on wet dirt roads to give you an appreciation for them. Apart from our fatter tyres, we'll end up with a profile rather like a 1950/6s clubmans's bike. Tread will be minimal, or at least in the centre of the tyre because a large volume tyre gets its grip by conformation to the surface, not ripping little chunks out of it with lugs.

Here's one I brewed up recently:

Nothing fancy. Just stuffed some 2" tyres into a hybrid and put short drops on it. Plus a few other wee mods. Works better on the surfaces shown than 35mm for sure.

Now I need to try it on the huge network of forestry gravel tracks in my local area - most of which is much rougher because it gets trashed by heavy machinery.

At the moment I prefer my modded 29er, but there's a big list of jobs to do yet. Most importantly, better wheels and more compliant tyres.
    Simply put gravel isn't a type of bike per say it's a philosophy or is it the other way around? I can imagine any bike can be ridden for gravel no? Now it's a little less clear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

I think you’ll find that many folks don’t require 2”-2.35” tires for nice comfortable days out on gravel and rough roads.

If the pavement really sucks I’ll air my 32s down to 50ish and if I’m off-road I’ll drop to 40.

If I’m going to ride chunk then I swap to 40s at 40.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yea i thought so. You can't answer a silly little question. Who's the idiot now? Maybe your should think before opening your mouth. Then you'll look less like an idiot.
    Keep digging sporto!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fillaroida;1366 to5471
    Keep digging sporto!
    Haha can't back yourself up. Get lost troll.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Apparently I'm not the only one who's confused. Jenson and Backcountry apparently can't seem tell either.

Cyclocross & Gravel Bikes | Jenson USA

https://www.backcountry.com/gravel-cyclocross-bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Apparently I'm not the only one who's confused. Jenson and Backcountry apparently can't seem tell either.

If somebody tells you you're right, will you stop posting?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Bikesexual

They have them combined, I don't understand the issue. The rider would choose the best possible tool for what they intend to do with the bike.

I don't understand the point of this argument. The sub-forum was created and some of us will enjoy it, and some will not even look at it.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Haha can't back yourself up. Get lost troll.
    Good job!

Do we need two cyclocross sub-forums?-f4f0267b-1143-401d-9ab0-1df336f7bae6.jpeg

mtbr member
    Simply put gravel isn't a type of bike per say it's a philosophy or is it the other way around? I can imagine any bike can be ridden for gravel no? Now it's a little less clear.
    Just about any bike can be ridden anywhere.

It's about what does it best.

And for gravel, that will usually come attached to a nice plump reasonably smooth tyre.

My attitude is start with a tyre suitable for gravel and green roads, and attach whatever shape of bike you like. There be no rules - so long as you don't listen to the internet pedants and aesthetes (and never the UCI).

mtbr member
    I think you’ll find that many folks don’t require 2”-2.35” tires for nice comfortable days out on gravel and rough roads.

If the pavement really sucks I’ll air my 32s down to 50ish and if I’m off-road I’ll drop to 40.

If I’m going to ride chunk then I swap to 40s at 40.
    You must have some nice gravel roads then.

While I'll try to ride just about any bike anywhere, my experience is that if you follow a road far enough, or the weather changes, you come to places where you'll be grateful for a bigger tyre.

A bigger tyre allows you to relax and not worry too much about the surface.

Here's a couple of examples:

Australia - I was riding on 28mm tyres. Unrideable, so it became hike-a-bike.

Scotland - fortunately on 2.35" so rideable.

I once did a tour in the Australian bush on a bike with 32mm tubulars. Until we got large volume tyres, that was how to get suppleness and compliance in a tyre and also avoid pinch flats from running low pressures.

Also skinny tyres are a liability as soon as a gravel road becomes soft or muddy which happens quite a lot where I live.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I like that the OP consists almost entirely of questions, yet when given answers the thread is basically just the OP telling people they're wrong.

The internet is a very cool place.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I like that the OP consists almost entirely of questions, yet when given answers the thread is basically just the OP telling people they're wrong.

The internet is a very cool place.

Really? Where did I tell anyone they're wrong? Making up stories is not nice. I given concrete example of ambiguity that was confusion yet no one has provided a definitive answer as to what makes this forum necessary out of the others we already have.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Good job!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4F0267B-1143-401D-9AB0-1DF336F7BAE6.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	1198284
    Is that you? nice
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    It seems to me that cyclocross is nothing more than roadies riding their bikes where mountain bikes would be better suited, and as a result they need to pick up their bikes and literally carry them up hills and obstacles instead of just riding over them as you would on a regular mountain bike.

Ha, you should line up with a mtb and show those road weenies what for!
    I brake for stinkbugs

Bikesexual
    Really? Where did I tell anyone they're wrong? Making up stories is not nice. I given concrete example of ambiguity that was confusion yet no one has provided a definitive answer as to what makes this forum necessary out of the others we already have.
    Do you go into every single forum here?

I'm not a commuter so you won't see me there, since I have zilch to contribute.

I don't own an ebike...so I'm never there...maybe 1 or 2 posts, ever.

I'm not into or own a cargo bike....

See where I'm going?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    They want one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yikes, Cross is a whole sport/ race thing. Gravel grinding, similar but not the same. Wider tires and such. How about this, do you have anything constructive to add? Did you read my post # 15? Braze ons, different gearing, fenders and such. What gravel bike do you ride? Flat bars or drops? Tire width? Done any reading on cross rules and regs? Cheers.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Careful.... Inflammatory posts are against the rules. Don't troll and don't call people names. It's pretty simple and that applies to everyone in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Careful.... Inflammatory posts are against the rules. Don't troll and don't call people names. It's pretty simple and that applies to everyone in this thread.

Shouldn't this thread be moved to site issues?

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Cycologist
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Velobike again.

Thank you to Velobike for posting something worthwhile in this thread. Maybe when the rest of us reach our 70s, we'll be as wise as he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    You must have some nice gravel roads then.
    We have crappy pavement, rutted fireroads, lumpy singletrack, chunky singletrack, smooth fireroads, etc.

Those surfaces don't require(your word...) 2"-2.3" tires. Many of us ride the same types of surfaces, as I noted in my post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    "I know you are but what am I" - once again
    GO! GO! Go!

Do we need two cyclocross sub-forums?-20160505160922-hole-danger-btre.jpg

passed out in your garden
    I gravel grind with my Fatbike, but l dont race CX with it
    always mad and usually drunk......

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    Why be so closed minded about gravel and cyclocross bikes? They may look similar but they are created for different purpose. Go out and ride some bikes and experience different aspects of cycling.
    Last edited by blizzardpapa; 05-16-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    Norco Threshold Single Speed
    Trek X-Calibur 7
    Bianchi San Jose with riser bar
    Trek Madone
    Kona Dew
    Tomac Taos

mtbr member
    We have crappy pavement, rutted fireroads, lumpy singletrack, chunky singletrack, smooth fireroads, etc.

Those surfaces don't require(your word...) 2"-2.3" tires. Many of us ride the same types of surfaces, as I noted in my post.
    Sorry, I thought my meaning was clear. I'll rephrase that.

Using 2-2.35" tyres on those surfaces is pleasanter than riding them on skinny tyres.

As I stated in one of my posts up there I have done considerable mileages on gravel roads with far skinnier tyres.

And I still ride on gravel roads with skinny tyres, but that's generally for the fun of riding it on a particular bike rather than trying to get somewhere distant, for example this gets a fair bit of use on dirt (1930s rod brake roadster)

What you use is up to you, but my experience is that high volume compliant tyres make the whole exercise much pleasanter and allow more choice of lines when the road is cut up.

This is a discussion that has been held before - around the late 1990s? - when many of the fast XC riders were scornful of anything bigger than 1.9". This will work out the same way IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rod brakes? Nice. Do they work reasonably well? One gear and fenders seems right for that " road"

mtbr member
    They were ok there (as in barely adequate), but later I took it around part of the local XC course and discovered the true meaning of terror.

mtbr member
    I love my gravel bike. Speaking of improvements and changes, there are some very nice gravel bikes in production that are blending aspects of mtb's with them (ex. frames accommodating larger tires, etc). It evolves.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I love my gravel bike. Speaking of improvements and changes, there are some very nice gravel bikes in production that are blending aspects of mtb's with them (ex. frames accommodating larger tires, etc). It evolves.
    Like this? That's a super hot build IMO!

All-City Gorilla Monsoon steel "monster cross” bike w/ clearance for 27.5 x 2.4 tires
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

I like turtles
    Cyclocross is a racing discipline in which you typically ride a Cyclocross bike with narrow knobbies on a grassy/mixed surface course much like a road crit race. "Gravel" is probably how most folks that use mtbr ride a drop-bar offroad bike. You can certainly ride a CX bike as a gravel/adventure bike but it's not as built-for-purpose as this new crop of bikes coming out.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF