Thread: Dk 2018

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Dk 2018

any of ya heading out for this? Which distance? Expected time? Tires? Anything else?

My response to my questions:

I'm up for the 200 this year and hope to finish somewhere around 12hrs weather dependent. Running 38mm Gravel King sk on my mosaic gt1 (50/34 x 11-28). Have a spare wheelset w/ Gravel king mud so "race day" decision and I'd love to have spare wheels on course but my support crew (aka wife and kids) aren't going to be there.

Not really a fan of "big" races like this, lack of support, find your own way home if your bike breaks in half... ...etc. but hoping to have fun (riding bikes is usually fun) and maybe I'll be back? Late to this party but really just hoping to get this "out of the way" so to speak, I'm more into grassroots and bikepacking/racing but will admit to never having been to Eastern Kansas and deep down hope to love it.

I like turtles
    Didn't make it in for the DK100 lottery...next year!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Good luck. My goal this year is to complete a road century and attempt a 100 mi gravel race. I've ridden a couple of metric century gravel rides.

12 hours would be impressive, to me any way.

Student of the Bike
    So how'd it go? How about a race report?

-CJB

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ohhh, thanks for the reminder!

edit - uh that was a little longer than I meant for it to be. Feel free to ping me with questions and ridicule me for having a dumb gravel bike with a suspension fork

The short version - Finished well over my target at 13.5hrs but man was I ever in a dark place between ~120miles and Aid 3 (~160miles). Heat, wind, short steep climbs and time in the saddle made me dig into my bag of skittles early and often. For some reason I never broke out my music, not sure I would hear it over the wind (I use the Trekz aftershokz so I can still hear things).

The biggest obstacle to overcome aside from going out a little (well, a lot) too hot was an early pileup where my rear derailleur was "adjusted" for me. Early as in 6.26 miles/19:03 min in per my garmin. It wasn't bad but also wasn't crisp and naturally right in the middle of my cassette. That sort of stuff is really easy to ignore that when you're feeling good. But after aid 2 (~103miles in) I lost count how many times I was about to have a temper tantrum/pity party but eventually your speed drops enough that you're not shifting as much so it sort of evened out in the end. I carried a spare but just never really thought to swap it because you're thinking so clearly.

Got to wait for the train which at that point wasn't too bad as I really just wanted to be off the bike and the break was welcomed. I don't think I've ever welcomed a finishing straight as much as I did here. I mean while your most recent race usually seems to be "the hardest", the conditions (numb hands, angry feet, dirty/sunscreen everywhere...) and generally unpleasant weather (I'm spoiled by Colorado) really made me excited for this to be over.

I wouldn't mind getting back to do this again but not next year.

If I were to do this again I'd make the following adjustments:

* Get a hotel - the heat/humidity made "sleeping" in my van miserable
    * Aerobars - yeah, they're arguably not cool but the biggest benefit in my eyes isn't necessarily being aero it's the ability to take weight off your hands. My xcm setup doesn't have any seat to bar drop whereas my groad bike does so my hands were a little worked by the end.
    * my own support crew - the crew for hire was good (the people were GREAT) but not nearly as efficient as I'd hoped for. But then maybe the extra time spent saved me from myself

My Setup:

Mosaic GT1, Lauf Grit fork (these are freaking nice btw), Salsa Cowchippers, Ultegra di2, 50/34 and 11-28. Light Bicycle rims (not sure what but a few years old and ~21mm internal) i9 torch hubs, Gravel King SKs (38 up front and 35back) at somewhere around 35-40# Wouldn't change a thing here but also not sure how/where I'd put aerobars.

I used a small pack (50oz) between aid 1 and 2. Then a big pack (100oz) between aid 2 - 3, then bottles to the finish with a lot of help from the people along the course. I don't like bud light but was glad it was offered

Summary: I like long rides and sufferfests. This was a little different than a something like a 12/24 hr mtb race or WRIAD. I think that's because I get just as much enjoyment (usually) in the course/trail/surroundings. The Flint Hills are pretty in their own way but I wasn't as engaged and I'm not 100% sure why. I'll try to get into Land Run next year just for another "why the f@#$ am I doing this" experience that many of us are drawn to. But will probably try DK again the following season or after that (assuming I get in).

If you're on the fence about this one, I'd give the lottery a shot and maybe just do this as a ride instead of trying to race it like I did. It's a neat town and a pretty good vibe. There's lots of talk about this event becoming a little too big for some people so maybe give it a shot before it does get too big for it's own good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Nice!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    WDFH,

Nice write up. Congrats. I set goals for myself but to be honest, anymore, just making the attempt is an achievement for me. I've done a few Metric Century gravel rides locally and would love to grind out a real century. I think my days of trying a double are long gone. My biggest issue is that while I log a fair amount of miles, most are in short amounts. It's real hard for me to find the time to log those longer weekend rides.

Gotta start prioritizing.

Kudos!

Student of the Bike
    Very nice write-up, its just what I was hoping for.

I missed the signup in 2017 when it filled up in 8 minutes. But looking back on it, I think that was a blessing in disguise considering we purchased a home that May and I got sick about 3 weeks later. I'm not entirely sure I'm planning to give it another shot. I think I may be in that category of "its gotten too big". One of my riding buddies is trying to convince some of us to do it next year. So I'm just out gathering into at the moment.

I also like the idea of Grinduro, and the Belgian Waffle Ride events too.

Well done on the accomplishment. Where you still able to come in before sunset given the delayed start?

Thanks
    CJB