mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Are you happy with your Garmin 705

Garmin appears to be unaware of problems we are having with the 705. (See the not ready for Prime Time thread.) Perhaps most units function properly. Let's find out, if we can.

If you are happy with your 705, please post your experience. We want to know if you are not affected by the following:

Multiple erroneous lines on downloaded tracks.
    Periodic reset or shut down of unit.
    Elevation measurement errors.
    Non-functional reset

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Unhappy being Garmins guinea pig and product tester. They should pay us $600 to work out the problems with this unit. Sorry, but that is pretty tacky for the price they charge for a beta unit.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So far I love my 705. I have not experienced any resets or shut downs. I have not noticed any elevation measurement errors, but admittedly I haven't checked this closely. I have not tried downloading tracks yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I don't own a Garmin (Delorme PN-20 owner here), so take this with a grain of salt. I find it interesting to read about the very recent problems experienced with both the 705 and the Colorado. Be sure to report this stuff to Garmin. From what I've read, Garmin is pretty good with the customer service / technical support and is probably already working on some firmware upgrade(s) to help with the problems being experienced by multiple owners.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ran into another problem with my Edge 705. I've had it for less than a month now with about 300 miles logged and have noticed recently it's auto pauses several times during my last two rides rides. Before this the 705 worked great. I can't think of any changes that might have caused this problem. My unit is set to auto pause when stopped but I am going at least 10-25 MPH when this is occurring. I noticed the speed on the 705 screen is jumping form 0, 3, 0, 7, 11 mph. I went on a 29 mile ride today and it auto paused about 100 times, finally I turned off the auto pause, but the speed never became accurate, it said I was going slow, I know I'm slow, but not that slow, when I uploaded my ride it said it was only 12.77 miles with a Avg. speed of 6.9 mph, which is not consistent with the other 10 or so rides I've done with 705 before this problem. So tonight I checked my wheel size setting and it's the correct 2096 Garmin suggests for a 700x23C circumference. So I'm not sure what to do.

bike rider
    I'm kind of unhappy. It works fine but doesn't seem to do what I got it for. See here: Making a map on an Edge 605 705

GeoMan
    Greetings!

I was able to convince my staff to let me have a 705 for testing, finally, a week or so ago. Edge 705 demand is high and the feedback we've gotten so far is good. Our sales are still split about 50:50 between the Edge 305's & Edge 705's.

Bear in mind that Garmin released the 705 in February to REI - exclusively. We were forced to wait until June for our first 705 inventory and it appears at first glance that most of the "bugs" reported on the early serial numbers are worked out now - a good thing. We thank those first first REI customers for paying full retail price for the privilege of beta testing the 705's for the rest of us.

So far so good! I slid in my topo chip (microSD card preloaded with Garmin's topo maps) and, whallah!, I was up and running in less than a minute. I am enjoying the ease of navigating the menus, etc. using the new joystick. The Edge 705 seems to be the best of all worlds for a cycling computer. Hey, it even has an odometer! The color screen is very nice. Not a single glitch or bug so far. I think I'm going to keep this unit for awhile...

I'll keep you posted.

Enjoy!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    I'm kind of unhappy. It works fine but doesn't seem to do what I got it for. See here: Making a map on an Edge 605 705
    I have a 305 and a 60CSx - neither will do that. I am not sure any GPS will do what you desire. It can be done on a computer - TopoFusion has a trail network feature that is exactly what you want, but I see no way to load it into the 705, or any GPS that I am familiar with, unless you want to do a custom map to load into your GPS. This link might do what you seek.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    I have a 305 and a 60CSx - neither will do that. I am not sure any GPS will do what you desire. It can be done on a computer - TopoFusion has a trail network feature that is exactly what you want, but I see no way to load it into the 705, or any GPS that I am familiar with, unless you want to do a custom map to load into your GPS. This link might do what you seek.
    As always, thank you for your input and expertise.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Have you gone on line to download the latest firmware?

It sounds like you are using a wheel magnet to produce speed and distance. If this is the case, what advantage does this provide?

I have not encountered your problem but I use the GPS to determine speed and distance.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've had my 705 for a little under two months (was an anniversary present on 5/24).

I've recorded about 50 rides of various types from marathon MTB races (11 hrs), long road rides (105m "century"), rough technical trail rides with drops up to 4' ish, and a wide variety of other stuff.

I've got map data loaded onto uSD that has most of City Navigator NT on it (2008) and large segments of Topo US (2008), and a couple custom maps from other sources.

I've no reason to believe the altimeter is any less (or more for that matter) accurate than the one in my GPSMAP60CSx.

The sat receiver seems to work pretty much as well as the GPSMAP60CSx, I've taken both on rides (with the GPSMAP in the customary camelbak pocket location) and the tracks recorded have been essentially duplicates.

The HRM sensor has worked at least as well as my Polar that it replaced.

The cadence/wheel sensor has worked as well as I'd expect, that being I have no reason to disbelieve the data from the cadence unit and I've not been in situations where the unit would switch to the wheel sensor to measure distance (which is what it does when sat reception is blocked).

Totally battery endurance has been somewhere above 11 hours on a full charge. I've not quite run it to dead yet, but I've had it on for at least 11:30 at a shot a couple times.

The only time I had a data-quirk was when I ignored the "I'm out of memory, please reset me now" message and about an hour after that I reset it. I find this reasonable behavior (it's my belief the data is only transferred from internal volatile memory to internal non-volatile memory when you do a reset).

That's my 2c.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by testtech
    I have not encountered your problem but I use the GPS to determine speed and distance.
    FWIW, if you ride trails with a lot of twisty turns, the GPS will tend to under report the actual distance you ride as many small or sharp corners will be "cut". Comparing the distance reported by my 305 and the odometer on my bike (which I have measured accurate) shows that the 305 generally under reports by about 10% on a 15 mile trail ride. Of course YMWV depending upon the kind of riding you do.

mtbr dismember

I'm warming up to mine

I've had mine for about three weeks and I have only had the opportunity to take it on two rides. It worked great for recording the information from both rides. However, I bought it because I wanted to be able to download and follow tracks posted on Motionbased and mtbguru.

The documentation tells you how to use the unit buttons and functions, but it is really lacking on how to really use it on the trail. However, I've been gradually piecing information together from many different web resources and I'm slowly getting it worked out. I'm unable to ride right now so I have been just walking around the neighborhood making tracks and using them to experiment with. I think I am getting there but I really need to try follow someone else's posted track.

I still have not purchased the topo maps because I am unsure if I really need them.

bike rider
    About the topo maps. The contour lines may be useful but many of the dirt roads and trails on them aren't in quite the right places.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    If you want accurate road representation you need to use the street maps. Data space is traded in favor of topographic detail, in the topo maps.

g3h6o3
    I'm quite pleased with my 705 up to now. The only problem I have is when trying to edit a workout on the unit it simply doesn't save. I have to edit them through Training Center and since I'm trying to get rid of TC, I'm developing my very own SportTracks plugin to import/export/edit workouts. Should be available soon!

I still haven't tried every functionality of the Edge though as I broke my collar bone but I'm back on the bike now and I'll keep on experimenting!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Bear and others,

If I already have NT maps for my Nuvi, can I use those to put on a uSD card for the 705, or do I have to buy yet another instance of NT maps for the 705?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Bear and others,

If I already have NT maps for my Nuvi, can I use those to put on a uSD card for the 705, or do I have to buy yet another instance of NT maps for the 705?
    It depends on when you got the maps from Garmin. When I got CityNav and Topo they stated that the license was for two devices. Then they changed the license to only one device and you had to purchase it again for a second device. You might want to email Garmin with the serial number of your NT license.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie