Thread: Wrist GPS...?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Wrist GPS...?

Just been looking around for different wrist GPS or maybe a small GPS that I could put in my pack or something. I was just wondering, what are great ones that people have? I have been looking around and probably don't want to spend more then $120?
    Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    I have a foretrex 101 that I really like. Uses replaceable AAA batteries (so if the batts die out in the field you can throw new ones in) easy to use and accurate. Downsides, you can't load maps and it will lose signal in tough conditions. But, it's really handy sitting on your wrist, I have mine set up so my main screen shows me the time, average speed, elevation, sunset time (in case I'm out without lights).

That said, if I'm out exploring new trails, I usually bring a Vista HCx. The mapping is very nice and you can see right where you are on the map. Although it's more than what you'd like to spend, you can get most of the same functionality in the Venture HC for around 120.00.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yeah. i am not sure what i am going to do yet. does the wrist one that you have tell you distance? thats the main thing i am looking for. if it doesnt download a map does the wrist one show where you are on the map?

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, it shows distance, I have that displayed too (it's customizable) but I forgot about that one.

While the wrist gps has a "map" page, all it shows is a "breadcrumb" it draws of where you have been. No map features such as lakes, countours, trails roads, although it will show waypoints that you may have installed. If you're doing a loop in unfamiliar territory, you could mark you car (for instance) as a waypoint, and then as you complete the loop, have the gps direct you toward your waypoint (car). Helpful if you park someplace somewhat wooded with a number of fire roads, etc.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Picked up a Garmin Forerunner 305 from Costco a while back for $149. Nice package and cheap. Basically it's like an Edge 305 without the barometric sensor and with a slightly smaller screen. The heart rate monitor is great to let you log your conditioning and figure out workouts and such.

The battery lasts quite awhile on a charge and you can store waypoints/tracks so it can be used for rudimentary navigation. Don't expect turn-by-turn and color maps but for my MTB/jogging it's more than enough. You can follow a breadcrumb trail but I much prefer to leave it compass mode and follow the trailhead back. It's chunky for a watch but not as big as you imagine from the pics.

The nice part is you can cycle several screens each of which can display 1-4 items onscreen at once. You can select from over 20 bits of data so pretty much you can show whatever info you want on each screen. For example on one of my screens I have the GPS sunset so I know not to get caught out in the dark! Things like heart rate, current/max/avg mph, distance, etc.... it's all customisable to show exactly whatever info you want. It also has three different modes so you can have one for running, biking and an "other".

Lunatic Fringe
    Love my Forerunner 305. If you can find one cheap, that would be the route I go. I ended up ditching the original plastic strap and went with their optional Velcro strap. Much more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyj0708
    Love my Forerunner 305. If you can find one cheap, that would be the route I go. I ended up ditching the original plastic strap and went with their optional Velcro strap. Much more comfortable.

Best "value for money spent" in my life alongside my iPod Touch and my Mach 3 razor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyj0708
    wear did you find the optional strap. ?

Lunatic Fringe
    I got it from Garmin but you can probably find it on ebay.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8544

mtbr member
    May 2009

Test driving this tonight...

I really like the watch for running and I think this set up will work well. The stap is taped on so that the watch is suspended by the strap for shock absorption.
    Last edited by cansado; 05-13-2009 at 12:07 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    1st time posting and having trouble with pictures...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    last try...
    Attached Images Attached Images