mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Wireless Cateye Micro, Strada... or something else? Please help.

Time to replace old wired computer, was thinking of wireless Cateye Micro or Strada versions. I have a Fox F120 and read some issues about mounting sensor. I ride single track, no huge drops, and path/road. Does anyone have any experience with these computers, or can recommend a similar product? Cheers, your help is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    I had a micro for a couple of years and never had a problem
    I broke the face in a stack and thought I would upgrade to the Strada
    I don't like it as much
    It has a feature where you just pull on the face to see the different settings. Hold it there for a few seconds to reset. I find it's too easy to accidentally re-set the settings back to zero.
    I also find I have to fiddle with the mounting on the fork a bit more than the other, and had to do the sensor on the spoke up super tight so it would stay in position.
    Last edited by Andy Bloot; 08-30-2009 at 11:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I prefer the micro...

They work very well, are reliable, accurate, and simple to set up. No problems on my Fox Float RLC with the sensor. A nice feature of the sensor is you can adjust the angle that it sits at in relation to the wheel by loosening the top knob and turn the sensor as well as adjusting by sliding the whole thing around the fork leg. Gives you more options and allows you to get the sensor squared up with the magnet easily. And once tightened down they stay put well. I've never had one mover around on me. I also like the fact that the sensor and the head unit both use the same battery, a 2032 if I remember right. Very common and easy to find. This is a good thing because you will replace them at least once a year. One draw back for some people is, the listed tire circumferances in the instructions aren't very accurate. But then with the way tire manufacturers stated sizes are all over the map it isn't any wonder. So a roll out is required to get a good accurate setup. But it's easy to do and something I usually do anyway when setting up a cyclo computer. Anyway, I'd vote for the Micro.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wicked, Invested in a Micro just then, look forward to knowing how far forward I've been again. Thanks for all your comments! I'll report back after setup and putting on some kilometres.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bloot
    It has a feature where you just pull on the face to see the different settings. Hold it there for a few seconds to reset. I find it's too easy to accidentally re-set the settings back to zero.
    yea....i set my pack down on my handlebars to get some food out one time midway through a really long ride, and the next time i looked at the computer it was at 0.5 miles. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

other than that, i like my cateye.

Only have experience with the Cateye, but it's been great - probably going on 5 years now (???), definitely worth going wireless when offroading - I ripped a few wires back in the day, this is my second wireless and have had absolutely no problems. And, as noted earlier, the batteries (sending and recieving unit) are identical and easy to find.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Installed, very easy, instructions stayed in the box, although I have installed many cabled before. Intuitive menu (so far) worked right away. Now to ride after work and see it in action.