mtbr member
    Sep 2012

What woud you do (Garmin edge series)

So I am trying to deal witha guy on craigslist on a Edge 500 that may have only 150 miles on it. While in the LBS I bought my Epic from the owner offered a Edge 705 at a good price (way above my price point) and an Edge 305 (was used once) for $100.

Guy on craigslist wants $175 for the Edge 500 bundle, LBS wants $100 for Edge 305 bundle. Friend who races can get me a new Edge 500bundle for $310 brand new.

I am not sure which way to go, the 305 will handle most all of what I need (multi bikes with seperate odometer for each bike) but the LBS said it used proprietary sensors, but garmins site shows it uses ANT+ so that means my sensors I have now will work with it.

So if the Craigslist buyer doesnt flake out is the 500 that much better than the 305? I do like the tempature feature on the 500, but it is not a must have since I always have my phone with me if I really needed to know the temp.

What kind of input do you all have?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    So I am trying to deal witha guy on craigslist on a Edge 500 that may have only 150 miles on it. While in the LBS I bought my Epic from the owner offered a Edge 705 at a good price (way above my price point) and an Edge 305 (was used once) for $100.

Guy on craigslist wants $175 for the Edge 500 bundle, LBS wants $100 for Edge 305 bundle. Friend who races can get me a new Edge 500bundle for $310 brand new.

I am not sure which way to go, the 305 will handle most all of what I need (multi bikes with seperate odometer for each bike) but the LBS said it used proprietary sensors, but garmins site shows it uses ANT+ so that means my sensors I have now will work with it.

So if the Craigslist buyer doesnt flake out is the 500 that much better than the 305? I do like the tempature feature on the 500, but it is not a must have since I always have my phone with me if I really needed to know the temp.

What kind of input do you all have?
    Buy the 305. $100 is a great deal.

I started with the Edge 305. Love it.

"Upgraded" to an 800. Like the features and interface. Terrible GPS reception--with three different units (warranty replacements).

Bought a 200. Terrible off road. Fine for the road bike.

Found a couple of used Edge 305s and use them.

I do not use the heart monitor or cadence.

What sensors do you have? I like GPS computers because I do not need sensors on the bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    On my road bike I use HR/Speed/cadence, on my MTB I would only be interested in HR/speed. My buddy said to not even mess with a sensor on the MTB and just use the GPS speed system from the unit for speed.

Still waiting to see, either one will work but I did see a bunch of complaints on the 305 with it being buggy, auto turn-off on rough terrain and randomly dying that were corrected on the 500 model.

If you don't need maps, the 305 is a good receiver. The only real improvement of the 500 over the 305 is the mount but I've seen folks show how the 500 mount can fail, too, so it's a marginal improvement. Sensors have always been ant+ so you were given bad info.

sheep in FOX clothing
    I wouldn't buy a garmin without a warranty.

Learned the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    On my road bike I use HR/Speed/cadence, on my MTB I would only be interested in HR/speed. My buddy said to not even mess with a sensor on the MTB and just use the GPS speed system from the unit for speed.

Still waiting to see, either one will work but I did see a bunch of complaints on the 305 with it being buggy, auto turn-off on rough terrain and randomly dying that were corrected on the 500 model.
    I have three 305s and none have the power cutout issue or any bugs.
    mtbtires.com

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    garmin edge 500 red bundle available now at chain reaction for $293 and you can get $16 coupon so it totals out to be $277. just ordered one tuesday. if you think you want the extra features with the 500 then go with that but if you dont think you need them just go for the 305, which you found a great price on

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ended up with a brand new 500 from one of the LBS I deal with. Got it installed and setup for both bikes, only bad is when I am using the auto on/off feature on the MTB and hit jumps or drops it auto stops then auto starts back up. My friend with his 500 does not do this.

I have checked all of the settings and they mirror his, only diff in our setup is I am using the speed/cadence sensor and he does not, he only uses the GPS from the unit.

Anyone else have this kind of issue when ussing the 500 with a speed cadence sensor? My only option is to turn off the auto feature and manually start/stop the unit to get it to not do it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Good move getting the 500. The 305 is good, but the battery life lets it down. In real life use I was only getting 10 hours. This is not enough if you go out for a big day or a multi-day epic. The 500 consistently gets 20+ hours.

The speed/cadence sensor should keep the unit active whenever you're moving. I've found the opposite to what you're experiencing. If you just have the GPS then on slow switchbacks it can sometimes auto-stop. When using the speed/cadence sensor I've never had this happen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Turn off auto-stop and let whatever program you use correct it. For instance, Garmin connect will give you total time, moving time, average speed, average moving speed.

Set it for 1 second recording too. The data will have higher fidelity.

mtbr member
    Did you wonder why a guy would sell an almost new edge 500.?
    They suck for measurement accuracy
    When compared to the edge 305

My iPhone 5 with motion x is more accurate than the edge 500

I would love to buy an edge 305 if I could fine a retailer with some new - old stock

Quote Originally Posted by 3034 View Post
    Did you wonder why a guy would sell an almost new edge 500.?
    They suck for measurement accuracy
    When compared to the edge 305

My iPhone 5 with motion x is more accurate than the edge 500

I would love to buy an edge 305 if I could fine a retailer with some new - old stock
    Refurbished 305s are fairly common.
    mtbtires.com