mtbr member
    Jun 2011

What are some good HRM straps and speed/cad sensors

Hi have now a considerable grave yard of Garmin HRM and speed/cad sensors that seem to have a life of around 1.5-2 years at the most. Anyone else have this experience. I got 2 at around the same time and they both crapped out within a week of each other. Has anyone tried to warrantee these?
    whats a good sensor that lasts and works with garmin and others
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mackdhagen View Post
    Hi have now a considerable grave yard of Garmin HRM and speed/cad sensors that seem to have a life of around 1.5-2 years at the most. Anyone else have this experience. I got 2 at around the same time and they both crapped out within a week of each other. Has anyone tried to warrantee these?
    whats a good sensor that lasts and works with garmin and others
    I hesitate to ask, but have you checked the batteries to ensure that they're still good? That 1.5-2 year interval sounds very similar to what I'm getting in battery life. If the batteries prove to be good, then it sounds like you are indeed very unlucky to have both of these HRM straps die on you. I've been using HR monitors for at least 20 years (including Polar in the early days, and more recently Garmin versions) and have always been able to revive a misbehaving strap by inserting a fresh battery...although the early Polar straps were fully sealed, so when he battery died, the strap died... I hope that all it will take for you to be up and running is a new battery.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yep, replaced batteries (i seek out the CR2032's in stores and always have a backup of them) might be my Edge 500 now. Just bought one of the new straps (the premium one) and can not pair it...
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

Land of the 230+
    My preferred HR and speed/cadence sensors are the cateye BTLE ones. But I also have a bunch of garmins that have been working pretty well for me on other bikes or as backups. I cant really tell you what sensors last longest, but I can give you a link to a $15 garmin HR strap, and a $25 speed/cadence sensor. Cheap enough you can stock up on them!

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Checkout the HR strap from Magellan/Mio. I started using the Magellan/Mio setup this year inplace of my Garmin. Both the computer & strap have been great. I find the Mio strap a tad more comfy than the Garmin. But the Mio needs more water/sweat to start reading than the Garmin.
    Heart Rate Monitor (Soft Strap)
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Sometimes you need to put a battery in backwards for 10s or so before putting in properly.

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Sometimes you need to put a battery in backwards for 10s or so before putting in properly.
    ????? WTF ?????

Iv'e never in life ever known reversing the polarity of a battery to be good for any electronic device. Seriously, what are you basing this on? Or are you just looking to have a little fun, laughing to yourself as people blow up their cheaper devices that dont have diode protection (from stupidity). But hey, if youve got some solid references on this actually being a good idea, I'm listening. I've seen stranger things.

Sneaker man
    I've found with the garmin straps, its not the sensor, but the strap that fails, just buy the el cheapo ones from ebay, they last as long and cost 1/10th the price.
    My speed/cadance sensor I got in 2012 is still going stron (i don't recall changing the battery, but might have), my cadence only sensor that goes on the crank, have had for 2 years and changed the battery once.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    ????? WTF ?????

Iv'e never in life ever known reversing the polarity of a battery to be good for any electronic device. Seriously, what are you basing this on? Or are you just looking to have a little fun, laughing to yourself as people blow up their cheaper devices that dont have diode protection (from stupidity). But hey, if youve got some solid references on this actually being a good idea, I'm listening. I've seen stranger things.
    It is a recommendation I've read online before, but my quick Googling couldn't find an official Garmin recommendation for doing it. Several fitness forums with users discussing doing it as a way to reset the device and allow it to pair again.

I have also found the soft straps to be a weak link. I have the same HRM unit for several years but have gone through a couple straps. I get a Polar strap for replacement for cost savings. The Garmin HRM unit snaps right into it.

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    It is a recommendation I've read online before, but my quick Googling couldn't find an official Garmin recommendation for doing it. Several fitness forums with users discussing doing it as a way to reset the device and allow it to pair again.

I have also found the soft straps to be a weak link. I have the same HRM unit for several years but have gone through a couple straps. I get a Polar strap for replacement for cost savings. The Garmin HRM unit snaps right into it.
    Now that I think about it a little more, button cell batteries have a contact on the bottom and on the side. If you place the battery upside-down, you're not actually reversing the polarity, you're simply shorting the positive and negative terminals. That would presumably drain any capacitors that may be holding a charge, resetting the device. You could do the same thing by simply jumping the two terminals together with a short length of wire, or a coin, or whatever you have handy. But putting the battery in backwards accomplished the same thing, since only one side actually makes contact with both terminals, and the other side doesn't touch anything but the plastic plug.

Sorry to freak on you before NordieBoy, now that I see you're not actually giving it reverse polarity.

since 4/10/2009
    I noticed that the OP mentioned speed/cad sensors in addition to HRM's, but only HRM's have been subsequently discussed.

I used the old style GSC-10 sensor for a short period and I've installed several for other folks. I don't like how fiddly they are with the magnet alignments and such. Their mounting location seems to be ripe to get bumped by a heel. I lost count of how many "my sensor isn't working" complaints I fixed by adjusting the alignment of the sensor just a touch.

I have the new style magnetless sensors on my bikes and I'm really liking them. They're a set-and-forget item, but I notice that I start getting dropouts when the battery is getting low (but before a warning pops up on the Garmin) so it's worthwhile to pay attention to that. I don't have any of the magnetless cadence sensors yet. I have a Bryton cadence sensor on my road/commute bike that hangs below the chainstay instead of above. I'm sure I'd bump it if it was on the mtb, but it's been fine so far (I use it with a strong rare earth magnet attached to the back of my pedal spindle which gives me a little more position flexibility, too).

I have had to "reset" sensors (for other people) by reversing the battery before. Can't explain why this needs to be done sometimes, but it does appear to work. The last one I had to do was a GSC-10 sensor, as well. So if you haven't tried that, give it a whirl.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Sorry to freak on you before NordieBoy, now that I see you're not actually giving it reverse polarity.

It's actually written inside the battery compartment of one of my speed/cadence units to do it for 10s whenever replacing the battery.