Red Rider

What do I do with my 305?

Trying to get some input from my MTBR family about my Garmin GPS dilemma.

The elevation function on my Garmin 305 is stuck at 65616. Called customer service about the problem and they said that the barometic thingamajig inside is probably busted. I've had it for almost 2 years so of course the warranty has expired. Garmin said that it would be a flat rate repair fee of $79 and the unit would most likely be replaced with a factory serviced one which will have a 90 day warranty.

After doing a little research online, I found some info on a few other people that have had similar problems only difference being that it happened before their warranty expired. I am not a racer but I use my unit frequently during the riding season and have used it in cold temperartures (around 30), in the rain and mostly when I mountain bike. I was wondering if any of those things could have donated to the unit's failure.

So my dilemma is should I pay to get it repaired? I would hate to pay the money to get it repaired only to have the same thing happen again and with my luck, after the warranty period expired. The Garmin customer service rep was nice enough to offer the suggestion of using it without the elevation fuction or as a back up unit .

I wanted to purchase a 705 so I figured I could put the money toward buying that unit which bring me to another crossroads. Do the 705s have this problem? Has anyone experienced this with their 705 or 305 units?

Suggestions, infomation and input would be greatly appreciated.
    [SIZE="5"][/SIZE]RIDE OR DIE...

One Gear
    My 305 hasn't had that problem and I've ridden in the rain a lot on the road and ride all winter in below 20 deg F. weather. It would be sweet if Garmin would allow you to apply the money towards a 705.

Good luck

Red Rider
    I asked the customer service rep if they had some sort of trade in program but he said no. You're right. It would be nice. It would allow them to receive older units and examine them for valuable real world data from rider use and at the same time, creating sales and improving customer service relations.

But that just makes sense so they probably won't do it.
    [SIZE="5"][/SIZE]RIDE OR DIE...

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You can turn the barometric altimeter function off and use the GPS altimeter, which is supposedly not as accurate. I've never found that the barometric altimeter was all that accurate anyway since I always get variation from my starting elevation and my ending elevation despite starting and stopping at the same place.

mtbr member
    get a refurb one. I sent mine in under warranty for a bad screen. they 'fixed' it but the replacenment has a new serial number. I doubt any of them are actually repaired more like a core exchange ie starter motor in a car.
    My refurbed runs as new for 2 years (sunny calif conditions)