mtbr member

New question here. What are the 705s mapping capabilities?

I am thinking about upgrading from my Garmin Edge 305 to a 705. As far as I know the main added feature is mapping. I have downloaded the 705 owners manual but it does not say much at all about its mapping capabilities.

How exactly does the 705s mapping work? Do you get to see a path when you approach one and are on one? Can it direct you to a GPS location through recorded paths? Does it use downloadable maps?

I really can't seem to find any specific info on the 705s mapping abilities.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by dnoyeb
    I am thinking about upgrading from my Garmin Edge 305 to a 705. As far as I know the main added feature is mapping. I have downloaded the 705 owners manual but it does not say much at all about its mapping capabilities.

How exactly does the 705s mapping work? Do you get to see a path when you approach one and are on one? Can it direct you to a GPS location through recorded paths? Does it use downloadable maps?

I really can't seem to find any specific info on the 705s mapping abilities.
    I guess the first question is "what do you think mapping ability will do, or what do you want it to do?"

The 305 shows a breadcrumb trail with no features such as contour lines, hills, rivers, streams, roads, trails.

The 705 shows a breadcrumb trail agains a loaded map showing contour lines, hills, rivers, streams, roads, trails.

You can setup waypoints in advance with the Topo maps on your computer for major intersections that you need to identify and upload them to the GPS, and you will see them as you approach. You can do this on the 305, but it is just a dot on a blank slate; on the 705 it will be a dot on a Topo map.

A "mapping: GPS displays a breadcrumb track on a map background. A "training" GPS shows a breadcrumb track on a blank background.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    I'm more interested in where I am going than where I just came from. I would like to see local trails and paths on the map so I can make decisions when I reach forks in the road.

305 will only display a path if you are executing a "course."

trail rat
    I would like to see local trails and paths on the map so I can make decisions when I reach forks in the road.
    The Garmin Topo maps do not have most trails, (I know for a fact here in the West Coast, and have read from others around the country, and not even the 24K series that is only National Parks).

You can download rides that others have done from MotionBased or the other gpx repositories, and mark waypoints to upload at those critical intersections. I have a 60CSx that I use for that purpose, and the 705 will do the same. Get it.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    The Garmin Topo 2008 has a surprising amount of trails on them.

Whether you can *see* them on the 705 is a whole 'nother subject (they are clear on the PC, and I think on the newer units with large dispalys like the Oregon and Colorado series).

mtbr member
    When I am running a "course" the path is clearly shown on the 305. This is what I want to be shown for all trails that I have recorded. I don't need a topological map. I just need to be able to create my own trails, and have they stored and any time I am near one I want to see it shown. Just like roads are shown on my car's navigator.

trail rat
    When I am running a "course" the path is clearly shown on the 305. This is what I want to be shown for all trails that I have recorded. I don't need a topological map. I just need to be able to create my own trails, and have they stored and any time I am near one I want to see it shown. Just like roads are shown on my car's navigator.
    Courses are unique to the training GPSs. Routes are used in mapping GPSs. They are, for all practical purposes, the same.

If you want to see the "roads, like on my car navigator" you will need to have topo maps or city navigator loaded. There is a basemap, but it is minimal, major roads only, few city streets, few if any details for mountain biking.

If I were you, I would keep the 305 and get a Vista HCx as an add-on for when you need mapping capabilities. I have a 305 and a 60CSx that work great as complimentary units. If I was buying a mapping GPS now, I would get the Vista HCx (did not exist when I got my 60CSx) instead of the 60CSx.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Why the vista over the 60? Size?

From what i've seen, the 60 has more accurate reception. Probably due to the larger antenna.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Why the vista over the 60? Size?

From what i've seen, the 60 has more accurate reception. Probably due to the larger antenna.
    The 60 has a helix antenna that has more gain, yes. Where I ride in central coastal CA, there are only a couple deep canyons under the oaks where I have weak reception with my 305. I'd like the smaller size of the Vista for when it is mounted on the bars, I doubt the flat panel antenna is any worse than my 305, and it works fine.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    gotit.

g3h6o3
    I don't think this is possible on the 705. Just like the the 305, they are managed as courses so they only show up when you ride them. But you can put a waypoint on your unit that will show up all the time, you just can't have the trail displayed full time if it's ot part of the map installed on the unit. I haven't fiddled with MapSource to that point so I'm not 100% sure so if it's possible, let me know how because I'd be interested in incorporating all my tracks on the unit. For now I simply use the waypoint at trailhead method since I can use that waypoint for driving directions.

P.S. Other new features of the 705 are wireless communication between units and ANT+ power meter compatibility
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    I don't think I want a route or a course. I want to modify the map and have it show the local trails.

Will any of the units allow that, and if so what is this feature called?
    Last edited by dnoyeb; 08-10-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    that would be either

> building a custom map

> viewing a track, on a mapping GPS (*not* an Edge)

The former is, to me, a bit of a dark art - but it's getting easier to do. You can google around for info, and base data is available for free, but it takes time and effort.

The latter is as easy as getting a different GPS. IIRC the late model fancy-pants Garmin GPS (Oregon and Colorado series) can receive data from HRM, Power, Cadence, devices.

trail rat
    I want to modify the map and have it show the local trails.
    It can be done with TopoFusion and upload the trail network as a route; I do that on my 60CSx. You are asking for a feature that does not exist, to the best of my knowledge, and I have hung out on the GroundSpeak forums way too much.

I am pretty certain that you will be making custom maps, as bear suggests. I do not know of a Garmin GPS that does this.Here is a link to get you started.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    OK thanks. Thats very helpful info. I did finally start to read about The Garmin GPS map PC software more than the Garmin unit software itself. After all my reading I am realizing that the feature is not there as I want it. Viewing a track may be enough since I don't want to start another project. Got enough projects going now.

So now that I know the 705 won't do it, Can't see any reason to "upgrade" to that unit.

At this point it looks like any of the mapping GPS that allow downloading of maps to the unit will allow me to get close to what I want. Next Ill have to start a thread about which of the units can best replace my TomTom that I am sick of... Maybe I can get 2 things in one unit.

Thanks a lot folks! And ill be lurking in the GroundSpeak forums. GPS stuff seems like fun. I want to make sure I don't buy a unit then next spring I start looking to upgrade that unit because of some new thing I want to do.

My other ride is your mom

Good job!

I don't think I want a route or a course. I want to modify the map and have it show the local trails.

You can do this...you just need to add all your individual tracks into a single .gdb (Garmin GPS Database Version 3) and then export it into your Edge along with the supporting maps (you are exporting background maps as well as the vector files....the squiggly tracks you have either merged or added into the .gdb). I do this all the time with my Edge 705....I'm sure you can do it with others as well. Send me an email if you want a step by step.

mtbr member
    That sounds cool Maddjurguer. I think I am confusing some people with what I am saying. All I want is a "line" on my map where the trail is. That line can be recorded from a previous ride, or somehow edited or whatever. I don't need it to be pretty. I don't need to see contours. Some of my trails have many forks. I want to have the whole trail in my Garmin, and I will chose which path I want to take as I ride, without following any predetermined path.

So I just need a path to be shown somehow. I'm looking at the 705 once again. Not sure though.

GPS_dr
    If you really want to see a trail network on a GPS; the GPS of choice would be a DeLorme PN40. I have a connected network of over 1300 miles of trails that I made from 126 GPS tracks on it.
    It can overlay the included Vector Topo maps as well as inexpensive USGS quad maps and 1 meter B&W or Color aerial imagery or 1 ft color around metro areas.

The screen has great sunlight visibility equivalent to Garmin 60/76 or etrex color series.
    (Much better than Colorado or Oregon units.) They come with 500MB of internal memory and allow up to 32GB cards for maps. My special edition has 7.5GB free onboard.
    Have vector Topo for Colorado Front range & imagery and USGS maps for the greater metro Denver area loaded. The entire trail network takes less than 1MB.

Got rid of the Colorado 400T I had, the visibility and inability to display more than one track at a time killed it for my needs. I use a 76CSx along with the DeLorme on my mapping trips. I let it do turn by turn to trailheads and a redundant data collector. The 20 tracks that it can display at once handles my needs.
    2,000+ miles free Colorado FrontRange GPS enabled bike trails w/map overlays.
    View network via GoogleEarth @ GeoBiking.org

trail rat
    TopoFusion allows you to build a trail network as a single gpx file and upload it to any GPS. I have built a number of them. It looks like this on the computer map, and the same on the GPS, without the aerial photo of course. All intersections are waypoints. This is loaded in my 705 and is wonderful with the 20' contour map I have from www.gpsfiledepot.com.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Ooh that nice. It looks like what I want to do.

Is it possible to get the trail information from previous recorded ride data?
    How easy is it to add on to the trails?
    I ride trails on opposite sides of town. can I have them all on, or do I have to load before each ride which one I plan to ride?

trail rat
    Those are all from probably 25-30 rides over 3-5 months. Just click on all the tracks you want to include and topofusion will build the network, eliminating all the duplicate overlapping trails, putting waypoints at the intersections, and then ask you the name to save it. As I stated, that is one GPX file. You can download a trial copy at www.topofusion.com for free and try it, import your tracks, build your network, upload to your GPS. Easy peasy.
    CCCMB web - Facebook