mtbr member

Weird results in Garmin Connect...

So I'm getting to know my new (to me) Edge 705, and have been uploading my rides to Garmin connect. But when I look at the speed/distance graph there seem to be some strange results for the periods I'm stopped.

Take a look at today's ride...

Weird results in Garmin Connect...-garmin1x.jpg

I've added the red lines to show where I was actually stopped, and what the graph should look like. Take the longest stop of 15 minutes from 1:13 to 1:24 for example. The plot shows me as still moving at an average speed between 6 and 18 kph. Now its obviously something to do with the fact that there's only two data points for that period, one at the beginning and one at the end, and it's just drawn a straight line between them. But why only two data points in fifteen minutes, whereas before and after the stop its plotting my speed every ten seconds or so? And if it realises I've stopped and doesn't bother recording data until I start again, then surely it should also stop and start at zero.

I'm not so worried about the fancy graphs (though it'd be nice for them to show a realistic picture of my ride), but I'm more worried that these inaccuracies are being translated into my average speeds, time moving etc, which I use to compare my performance over time.

So, can someone please explain what's going on here, and if its just a plotting error, or if the base data is incorrect and so all my ride stats will be off?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PerthMTB; 02-23-2013 at 09:24 PM.

do you have auto pause enabled?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Try choosing Distance instead of time in the dropdown menu that can be seen in your screenshot.

mtbr member
    No, autopause is off. Saw some threads with people having issues with autopause kicking in when they were just going up a slow hill, so left it off. Could this be the cause of my issue?

Tried choosing distance, but the drop down isn't actually a drop down, seems time is the only option for that graph!

What is your recording interval? I am going to guess auto

mtbr member
    Record data points is set to "Smart Recording" - should I change to "Every Second"?

mtbr dismember

Could be smart recording

Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    Record data points is set to "Smart Recording" - should I change to "Every Second"?
    Could be smart recording is responsible. However, as I recall on the 705 Garmin does not recommend one second recording for more than four hours because you could run out of storage space. If you have a SD card try recording to it instead of the internal memory if riding for more than four hours.

mtbr member
    Yes, I've got a 32GB Micro SD, tho' I haven't tried it in the Garmin yet.

How do I get it to record onto the SD card instead of internal memeory? Does it just use it automatically if its available - couldn't find anything in the manual about it? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Yes, I've got a 32GB Micro SD, tho' I haven't tried it in the Garmin yet.

How do I get it to record onto the SD card instead of internal memeory? Does it just use it automatically if its available - couldn't find anything in the manual about it? Thanks.
    Good question. I'm assuming it just records to the SD automatically???
    "What is this? A center for ants?"

mtbr dismember
    According to this guy the 705 can now record to the SD card. Since I use my 705 only as a back up I have not updated the firmware in years. Perhaps that will do it. But on the 800 there is an option in the menus to record to the SD card.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    According to this guy the 705 can now record to the SD card. Since I use my 705 only as a back up I have not updated the firmware in years. Perhaps that will do it. But on the 800 there is an option in the menus to record to the SD card.
    Depending on the age of your 705, of course.

I've looked into the firmware and the only update you can get is a "USB Update". Didn't do much for me.
    Such is the problem with old technology.

All good tips here.
    "What is this? A center for ants?"

mtbr dismember
    I'm skeptical it can do what that guy said so ask him how to do it. If I remember I'll look into it for my 705 sometime. I find one second recording essential for my rides and some of them last up to 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    I'm skeptical it can do what that guy said so ask him how to do it. If I remember I'll look into it for my 705 sometime. I find one second recording essential for my rides and some of them last up to 12 hours.
    Here's the changelog for the 605/705.

Garmin: Edge 605/705 Updates & Downloads

I don't see that update mentioned, unless it's hidden under something vague like: "Improved robustness of internal filesystem."

mtbr dismember

No go

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Here's the changelog for the 605/705. Garmin: Edge 605/705 Updates & Downloads I don't see that update mentioned, unless it's hidden under something vague like: "Improved robustness of internal filesystem."
    My 705 has the latest firmware and I looked through all the menus. Perhaps I missed it, but I can not find any way to record to the SD card. So that guy needs to explain how to do it.

mtbr member
    Hi again Guys. Have fixed the original problems by switching to one second recording as suggested - my graphs look much better now. However, I do get significantly more 'noise' with speed fluctuating all over the place including spiking up to 50-60kph when I know I'm doing a steady 15-20kph. I just assume that whereas smart recording averaged out the fluctuations I'm now seeing how innacurate GPS is at calculating speed in all its gory detail!

Haven't been on any real long rides yet so storage hasn't yet become a problem, but would be interested to hear a resolution to how to record on the SD card when anyone finds out...

You aren't going the same speed all the time. Dial back your expectations a hair, man

mtbr dismember
    Haven't been on any real long rides yet so storage hasn't yet become a problem, but would be interested to hear a resolution to how to record on the SD card when anyone finds out...
    I'll believe that when I see it. I can't find that option. It's very obvious on my 800.

mtbr member
    I'm not so worried about the fancy graphs (though it'd be nice for them to show a realistic picture of my ride), but I'm more worried that these inaccuracies are being translated into my average speeds, time moving etc, which I use to compare my performance over time.

So, can someone please explain what's going on here, and if its just a plotting error, or if the base data is incorrect and so all my ride stats will be off?

Thanks.

I looked at one of my 705 rides. It's a weird charting glitch for 705's. 800 rides show the desired flat line. Garmin Connect's estimate of moving time is close to Strava's estimate. The averages are good. Non-moving is always an estimate. To a GPS you're always moving so the data must be filtered. TopoFusion lets you set the minimum speed to be considered "moving".

mtbr member
    You aren't going the same speed all the time.
    Maybe not, but here's a plot from a recent ride on a flat bike path (its along a river), and I certainly didn't suddenly take off at 120kph half way thru the ride

Name:  Garmin4.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  17.3 KB

Dial back your expectations a hair, man
    Well if that kind of inaccuracy is par for the course, then yes I'll just learn to live with it...

Open that file in a standalone program on your computer. Those types of errors are typically due to a single wonky point. Find it. Delete it. re-upload.

I used my Oregon yesterday and the first point was in Texas, while my ride was in Indiana. My trip odometer readings and elevation readings were all kinds of screwed up. I deleted the one point, and all was right with the world.