mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Wearable fitness tracker questions...

Any recos on a wrist watch style fitness tracker? i'm looking at Suunto and Garmin. I have the Garmin 510 for my bike, so don't really need a biking one. What I'm looking for is one I can use for running and skiing. Perhaps even with a pedometer.

thoughts?

I have a Garmin Forerunner 310XT. It's a triathlon watch, so it's a bit chunkier than many of the running watches on the market. But, that also makes it pretty versatile. It's also compatible with speed/cad sensors for the bike for that reason. Since that's not important for you, I won't dwell on that part of it (I use it more on the bike - I don't run much).

For running, it offers compatibility with Garmin's heart rate monitor and foot pod sensors. The foot pod gives you a cadence for your running (not so much a "pedometer", in fact I don't think you'll find a GPS watch that tracks number of steps), and will also give you a speed for indoor treadmill runs when you have no GPS signal. Another reason I like the 310XT is that it's compatible with Tanita's bc-1000 scale, which I've had for awhile. It connects to the scale and downloads body comp data, and sends that data to Garmin Connect when it's near a computer with the ANT+ dongle attached.

I THINK the Edge 510 might do that with the scale, too.

mtbr member
    Poke around on the following site for tons of detailed and objective info: DC Rainmaker

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've had the Suunto Ambit for about a year and absolutely love it. I've used it for everything from biking, running, crossfit, snowboarding and weightlifting. It's nice enough to wear as a daily watch as well (most days I do wear it to work). I think the Ambit 2 has some additional features as well. Any questions on the watch, feel free to let me know.