mtbr member

waypoint apps for the droid

been using the droid for a month on the mtb & road bike. have not run with it yet since my samsung moment is a bit heavy and i lack a sports case for it.

anyway anyone using any apps where you can make waypoint on the fly and set a course back to it? ideally as recomended in geocaching book, when i go somewhere, i can set a way point at the trail head, and whn i want to head back, just set a course to the waypoint. my delorme works great for this and can hold 1,000 waypoints on the unit and many more on the sandisk

i been using mytracks and want to move over to trimble outdoors, which says on its web site some things about waypoints, but for me its unclear as to the extent
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Trimble Outdoors in the Android Marketplace will do what you want. Launch it, select "Mountain Bike" and it will automatically drop a waypoint at the start of your ride and start dropping a track as you ride along. You can switch to the compass screen and the arrow will point to whatever waypoint you choose providing a course back. The app will also navigate along a track by pointing the compass arrow in the direction you need to ride as your moving along. At any time during your ride, you can mark new waypoints, record an audio waypoint, or snap a photo waypoint. If you have video (like the DROID or Nexus One) you can record videos that are waypoint marked. The maps can be cached so they are available even when you have no cell coverage.

Here's what I do if I'm going to ride in a new place and I need guidance along the way. Before I head out on the trail, I use the Trimble Outdoors website trip planning tool to draw the route I want over a sat photo or topo map on my home PC. I've been using the Google Chrome browser with the Trimble web tool and it's pretty fast. I'll drop waypoints on the map for places like trailheads or junctions or bike shops too (think Moab ). After I preplan the trip, I launch the Trimble Outdoors app on my Nexus One and I grab the trip from my account. The waypoints and tracks are downloaded and cached on the phone for use even if there is no cell coverage. I'll also pan the Nexus One screen around my riding area with topo maps on at different zoom levels - these are cached in the phone too.

Now I can go ride Moab and not worry about getting lost. At any time I can tell to app to navigate to any waypoint and it will provide the distance to travel and direction to go for the intersect course. Along the way, whatever pics and vid I shoot are stored on the phone and I can view them later when I get home on the Trimble Outdoors website.

The Trimble app can be used for most any activity where waypoint navigation and detailed mapping is needed. I work for Trimble, and I ride a lot, so the app is especially good for mountain biking

Rich

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Although no hrm it looks pretty cool

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Not sure about pointing your way back to the first way point, but My Tracks will track your route as well and you will have a reference way point of where you started.

mtbr member
    here's a link to a route i did this morning w/mytracks

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...dbce6&t=h&z=16

waypoints not needed here as i am just doing laps around the mall. i have interval data but as recorded on my garmin. i used to reset the device to break the intervals when i reach the same spot, but i been leaving the foreunner on 1 mile intervals

the run.gps softwarre had many of the features i like, but i was unable to get it loaded on my samsung moment, i needed several prlimanry packages to get the thing to work w/o any luck

when mtbing or trailruning rides often take longer than planned, on the pn-40 you can set a hiking route to a waypoint and the interface will tell you how far you are from the spot, so you know if you are heading in the right direction

last sunday i started to head back and ihit a rutted up fire up and busted my hanger. i believe had i stayed on the single track, i would have avoided the technical as it was much dryer than the fire road