nuf
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

watch GPS heart rate monitor

Well, I checked my bank account and saw that I have absolutely no money. So I think I'll buy myself something to celebrate.
    I want to get a heart rate monitor with GPS so I can keep track of speed, distance and elevation as well. I'm a casual rider and this is more for my interest than a hectic training tool. I also want it in watch format so I can use it if I go for a run/ski/etc.
    I was thinking of the Garmin 405CX but that is quite pricey (specially with having no money). Has anyone used that model or have any other good suggestions. Obviously price is important but I would rather spend a bit more to get something decent.

Thanks
    Alan

Disgruntled Peccary
    I have a 405, the 405cx has some advances, but it's the same form factor. I really do like it running, but the 305 (better still the 310) would be MUCH better on the bike. I have the handlebar attachment on the 405, and while I can read it OK the 305's easier to read while riding.. so it works better as a bike computer.
    mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I like the watch-style GPS/HRM too, for riding, running and rowing. I currently have a Forerunner 405 (replaced my Polar 725X) with the handlebar attachment for the bike. I would not buy the 405 again. The 405s touch bezel interface is nearly impossible to use on a bike and whenever wearing gloves, the numbers are too small to read while riding an MTB on 2 of the 3 readouts, and the battery life is too short at <8hrs.

Go for the Forerunner 305. It has regular buttons. It also has longer battery life than the 405, according to the specs. And it's cheaper. The only drawback is that it doesn't look quite as sleek as a 405.

Hope this helps!

Disgruntled Peccary
    yea, running I just start it, lock the bezel and let it autoscroll. Not so bueno on the bike, the other thing is switching between things like pace vs speed etc. I think I'll end up with the 705 on my bikes and the 405 running in the end.

BTW the 305 isn't really all that much bigger, although it looks like a loaf of bread.
    mike

nuf
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I must admit, the 305 doesn't look nice being all big and bulky. What I like about the 405 is that I can wear it like a watch before or after my training. The 305 is a bit impractical. That said, I am getting this for training and not fashion so, the bulkyness shouldn't matter.
    If the 405 was on my wrist (not the bike), would reading it be a problem?
    Can the 305's buttons be used easily through gloves?

Thanks
    Alan

nuf
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Ok, I've decided to take your advice and go with the 305. The fact that it is half the cost is quite nice too
    Now I just need to find that money after paying for my car to get serviced. Thanks for the replies.