mtbr member

Want a HRM but don't like chest-bands

Hi,

Are there any HRM's that can do measuring from wrist?
    I really don't find practical to wear chest bands.

Thanks

mtbr member
    OK I found something -> ePulse2
    Impact Sports Technologies - The People's Fitness Monitor

Altough it has good reviews, on the other hand lots of complaints too.
    Can't decide..

mtbr member
    I can't speak from a cycling standpoint, but I can speak from personal training experience. I have yet to come across anything BUT a chest strap HR transmitter that's worthwhile. All we use is the POLAR brand. Yes they can be annoying, but if you use them for a while, you will get used to them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There was discussion maybe over in the racing forum awhile back about using ekg style pads. Apparently they use them with horses and you can get the pads and leads that allow you to hook them up to the transmitter. Then just place the transmitter in you jersey pocket. I don't like the strap but I also am not interested in removing two of those pads after each ride. The premium garmin strap isn't that bad.

mtbr member
    If you wear a camelbak or similar while riding you probably wont even notice it once you get going. I agree with the premium Garmin strap, as it's much more comfortable than the older straps.

ballbuster
    Yep,

you hardly notice the chest strap after about 4 minutes. Just don't cinch it up too tightly. Me, I have a big barrel chest, so I keep mine all the way slack, and it still stays put under my manboobs. I even have the cheapo version of the Garmin strap, and I don't notice it.

Seems to me that unless you ride a unicycle and keep a finger on the sensor all the time, the wrist watch strapless style HRMs are pretty useless. The Garmin setup is nice because it plots your heart rate against how/where fast/hard/steep you're going.

It's nice to learn where your 'blow up' threshold is, and to watch the number on the computer as you climb, to push yourself hard enough to stay just below that mark.

sheep in FOX clothing
    The Garmin premium strap is much more comfortable than the plastic straps.

Unfortunately, the durability is much more suspect.