Riding a Rig.

Want to get my first dedicated GPS.

Hey guys. I'm looking at getting my first dedicated GPS.

This past weekend I went to Micheaux and kind of blundered my way around. No cell service meant my iPhone was useless too. Next time I go back I'd really like to have a GPS with tracks preloaded.

Anyone have some suggestions for an inexpensive GPS I can get that would let me do this?
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    curious about the same thing for my bike.

Riding a Rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by redmaro42
    curious about the same thing for my bike.
    In the limited research I have done looks like while you can buy a cheap GPS it doesn't mean you should. For example, most cheap units don't have expandable memory. This can be a major pita if you want to load your own maps, etc.

So looks like I'm going to be saving up some money for a Garmin around 300.00.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    looks like the edge 305 is popular choice so far
    Motobecane Fantom 29- Matte black
    1st season mtn biker here, bare with me and the questions

Riding a Rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by redmaro42
    looks like the edge 305 is popular choice so far
    I wouldn't want one.

The main reason I want one is for mapping and the edge 205/305 really don't do that.
    -Dave Weagle

Wanderer
    The Edge 305 is very nice (I have one) but the prices have come down for the Edge 605 which is what I would purchase if I were buying one today. I'll never have anything but a GPS for the bike from now on, it does so much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    The main reason I want one is for mapping and the edge 205/305 really don't do that.
    If you're into mapping I suggest you check out the Delorme PN-40. I've had one for about 2 months now and I love it.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    i would check out the etrex line of garmin. depends on if you want the barometric altimeter or not, but you can get into one of them for $200 give or take. i love mine

Riding a Rig.
    I think I'm going to go for the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. Walmart has it on sale right now for 210.00.

More than I wanted to spend but a reasonably good deal.
    -Dave Weagle

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    I think you will be very happy with the purchase. you may also want to get the handlebar mount for it, mine has worked out very well. although with that high sensitivity chip set it has, you very well may be able to keep it in the mesh of a camel bak etc if you dont need to look at often

Grams Light Bikes
    For biking you want one that has a altimeter, which means the Edge 305 or Edge 705 or the Earthmate PN-40. You lose some extra's when you go to the cheaper GPS units. The eTrex doesn't have a bike mount as far as I know?

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    For biking you want one that has a altimeter, which means the Edge 305 or Edge 705 or the Earthmate PN-40. You lose some extra's when you go to the cheaper GPS units. The eTrex doesn't have a bike mount as far as I know?
    Etrex-Vista HcX has an altimeter and also a bike mount, which works pretty good on 25.4 handlebars. Another good feature of the HcX Vista is the increased lifetime of batteries, about 20 hours vs the 5 hours of the previous ones.

The White Jeff W
    A question about the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.

Can one upload maps from motionbased to this unit?
    No moss...

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13
    A question about the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.

Can one upload maps from motionbased to this unit?
    You can upload tracks from motionbased or any other gps aggregator site, but the maps you must upload from your computer. Look at www.gpsfiledepot.com for many free maps and tutorials on how to get and install Mapsource if you do not have it.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

The White Jeff W
    Thanks. that's what I wanted to know. I'm new to this GPS thing & not up on the terminology.
    No moss...

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13
    Thanks. that's what I wanted to know. I'm new to this GPS thing & not up on the terminology.
    I did not mean to sound like I was correcting you on terminology. I have a friend locally who was literally trying to download google maps into his gps, and was getting frustrated that it did not work.

I just wanted to clarify the difference, but it sounds like you have it progressing. Let us know if we can offer more help.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx and it has worked great for the two years I've been riding with it -- love being able to track every ride, then use tracks from previous rides to map out the next rides. Light weight, super-long battery life, water resistant, displays downloadable topo maps, plenty of memory storage with a SD card, it's everything I need.

mtbr member
    To save some cash I tried a refurbished Edge 305 from an authorized dealer of
    Garmin products that came with a warranty. I have had zero problems with it, so that is an option if looking at an Edge 305 on th cheaper side.
    Speaking as a completely objective, third party outsider with absolutely no personal interest in the matter...