mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Wahoo RFLKT bike computer on kickstarter

Hi MTBR,

I'm new to mtb after a bit of a real life break (wife, 2 boys) and getting back into the sport. Part of that was getting a new bike (Yeti SB95) and some new gear.

I wanted something I could use with my iphone so I could keep track of the data and I ride with my phone anyway. I came across this kickstarter by wahoo for their RFLKT bike computer (wahoo hates vowels it seems) and I supported it. They are getting close to the deadline and are close to their goal so I thought I'd at least link it for people to check out. It's basically a RFLKT with ant+, a thermometer and a barometer to get better data on climbs.

Wahoo Fitness RFLKT+ SMART Bike Computer with ANT+ Bridge by Wahoo Fitness — Kickstarter

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Has anybody used one of these? It looks like the ideal solution, but I am afraid this might be one of those things that looks great on paper but in practice is a cluster f--k

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    DCRAINMAKER did a pretty good write up on it here. I am in the market for something and also considering this route.

First Look: Wahoo Fitness RFLKT+ with ANT+ to Bluetooth Smart Bridge, Barometric Altimeter | DC Rainmaker

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you go to the Wahoo Fitnesss website and order by tomorrow you can get 25% off using the discount code CYBERWEEK I bought the RFLKT+, Bluetooth HR strap, and Bluetooth cadence/speed sensor, all for a little over $200. I was going to spend the same amount on a used Garmin 610. The oool theing about the RFLKT+ is the barometric altimeter and temp sensor which are not part of the iphone. I actually think this is exactly what i was looking for, a visual read of what is going on with my ride. I just want to see HR, time, distance and temp. I am not interested in seeing a map when i am MTBing, and I tend to only use it on the road bike when I am lost at which point i pull out the phone and figure out where i am.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I actually bought the RFLKT+ and have used it on 4 rides and each time had an issue. The first 3 rides I couldn't get the HR sensor to get picked up at the start of the ride although it was working fine in the garage. The last time the RFLKT unit lost its Bluetooth connection about 30 minutes into a long ride, although the iPhone was still recording the data. Once the RFLKT loses it's connection it won't reconnect without ending the data collection and searching again for the unit. It seems like the perfect solution but obviously isn't. 20 years ago I had an Avocet cyclometer ( with wires) for time and distance, and a Polar heart rate watch for bpm. This worked fine at the time, but the ability to capture so much data now is very compelling. 5 years ago my Garmin GPS couldn't register anything off-road, so the technology has come a long way, but it seems getting so many devices synced with a phone and recording data at the same time is pushing the envelope.

I'm not sure what to do now. I am going to return the RFLKT, and am not sure if I want to go for a Garmin 510 bundle, or just use the Bluetooth sensors with the iPhone in my pocket and forego "live" data review.

mtbr member
    My wife got me the RFLKT+ for Xmas. I tried it once and sent it back. While running strava, it wouldn't display my distance traveled until I was done with the ride. And when a text came in, it didn't display anything. Maybe it works better when running Wahoo's own app?

Now I'm debating between a garmin 510 or a sigma rox 10. But in the meantime, it's back to the iphone and old cateye micro. at least that provides accurate info without the weird delay I got on the RFLKT.