mtbr member

Wahoo HRM strap/510 Edge...inaccurate BPM

I've been having some issues with accuracy lately and am just wondering if it's a simple low battery issue, or do I need to take other steps. This is what I'm working with...

Wahoo Bluetooth HRM strap
    Garmin 510 Edge
    iPhone

Here is what's happening... I'll put the HRM strap on with some gel and then connect to the Garmin. The Garmin also automatically connects to my phone. All via Bluetooth. Sometimes, HR appears to be perfectly accurate, then other times, like today, it'll just get stuck at a HR number and stay there. Today, I was frustrated so I just unhooked it under my jersey. I still showed a HR all the way home! It's been very cold in the morning, so I've had a jersey, a poly pull-over and then a jacket over that. So, just need to replace the battery (it's a couple of years old)? Issues with multiple BT devices connected to computer? Interference from clothing? Other opinions? TIA.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    When the Garmin bands lose the HR, they stop transmitting and the data field on the Edge goes blank.

When the Wahoo ticker loses the HR, it.... makes it up, as far as I can tell. I've gotten resulting HRM graphs on my rides with rises and falls that don't match what was actually happening in any meaningful way. I have no idea why they do this.

Changing the battery is a cheap attempted fix. Failing that, the fabric bands of the HRM do wear out and require replacement. Wahoos last far longer than Garmins, IME.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

since 4/10/2009
    Changing the battery should be step 1. With a battery that's got some years on it, there's a good bet it's part of the issue. Step 2 if you still have problems should be the fabric band. I see you're already using gel, which is good. If none of that works, I'd say your hrm is probably bad. But I'll bet you'll be able to fix it with one (or both) of the two fixes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    [QUOTE=Joe Handlebar;13533695
    Here is what's happening... I'll put the HRM strap on with some gel and then connect to the Garmin. The Garmin also automatically connects to my phone. All via Bluetooth. Sometimes, HR appears to be perfectly accurate, then other times, like today, it'll just get stuck at a HR number and stay there. Today, I was frustrated so I just unhooked it under my jersey. I still showed a HR all the way home! It's been very cold in the morning, so I've had a jersey, a poly pull-over and then a jacket over that. So, just need to replace the battery (it's a couple of years old)? Issues with multiple BT devices connected to computer? Interference from clothing? Other opinions? TIA.[/QUOTE]

I've been getting the exact same behavior out of my TickrX lately. One ride it will seem to track reasonably, then the next ride the HR will look like a step function where it's on 125 bpm for an hour, then 152 for an hour etc. I haven't taken any steps to fix it yet, but I think the wahoo utility on your phone should tell you the battery condition. I have been guessing that my strap is the culprit.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback all. My first thought was the battery as well, but I thought I'd hit the collective first. I would imagine a weak battery may give good results on some days and perhaps not on others. It's been pretty flawless over the last couple of years, much more so than an ANT+ I've used prior. Interesting regarding the strap. If the battery doesn't solve it, may have to look into getting a replacement.

mtbr member
    I tried the utility app, which I didn't even know about and replaced with a new battery. Apparently Wahoo recommends replacing the battery "approximately every 12 months". It also uploaded a firmware update, great, but didn't fix the issue. So, replacement strap in the mail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Let us know if that takes care of the problem

mtbr member
    No idea who's following, but here's the latest. I did get a new strap (in addition to the aforementioned battery). On the first try, it appeared it had the same issue (stuck on the same HR for long periods of time, super low numbers...like 30bpm). Then I recalled some stuff DC Rainmaker had on his blog a while ago and headed over there. In one of his write-ups, he made reference to moving the strap so the contacts were in "non-traditional" positions, even including wearing the transmitter on his back. Low and behold, I moved the transmitter to my left a bit (just under my left pec) and it worked like an 'effin charm! Haven't tried the old strap, but it's pretty beat, so now I have a cool new bright orange strap.

DFL
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Handlebar View Post
    No idea who's following, but here's the latest. I did get a new strap (in addition to the aforementioned battery). On the first try, it appeared it had the same issue (stuck on the same HR for long periods of time, super low numbers...like 30bpm). Then I recalled some stuff DC Rainmaker had on his blog a while ago and headed over there. In one of his write-ups, he made reference to moving the strap so the contacts were in "non-traditional" positions, even including wearing the transmitter on his back. Low and behold, I moved the transmitter to my left a bit (just under my left pec) and it worked like an 'effin charm! Haven't tried the old strap, but it's pretty beat, so now I have a cool new bright orange strap.
    I've always worn my Wahoo HRM strap offset a little to the left and have had zero issues with it and my Edge 510 in 4 years.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.