mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well Vista HCx turns off when mountainbiking.

Hi,

My Vista HCX keeps turning off when riding my mountain bike offroad.
    During a ride it gets worse as time passes.
    I know this issue has been occurring to many people but I have yet to find a solution.
    I read a similar thread for the edge 305 and saw that people did "surgery" on their device, I was wondering it the same solution applies to the Vista HCX. (Since the battery compartment is opened easily and AA batteries are used).

My warranty still applies, should I replace the unit? I'm assuming that it wouldn't matter since, to my understanding, this happens with all units..

Thanks!!

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Surgery may be overstating it a bit. There are two causes that I can come up with. One is no big deal and the other, well, you pay for the shipping and Garmin will take care of the rest.

Scenario 1, Battery Bounce - during your rides there is enough agitation to cause the battery to momentarily move away from the contacts. Your unit is reading that as a loss of power and is shut down. I have a 60 CS and because it also runs on AA batteries, they were very prone to that error. An easy fix is to trim a piece of rubber and place it behind the battery contacts. This may help reduce/eliminate the battery bounce

Scenario 2, Unit Flaw - Again I am referencing my 60 CS. It took one too many hard bumps over time and knocked the soldered contacts for the screen loose. It would partially turn off (lower half of the screen) and then the rest would follow in about 2 seconds. The remedy was to send it back to Garmin. It was WAY outside of the warranty but, with a BIG to Garmin, they completely replaced the unit for $75.00. I had another unit back in my hands in less than a week.

I would try placing a small bit of paper or rubber behind the battery contacts as a first line of defense. Good luck.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks. It sounds a-lot like the first scenario.

mtbr member
    Send it back and get a new one. Then, don't mount it on the handlebars (i.e., put it in your CamelBak). It's the crummy spring contacts inside the unit (not battery bounce) that's the problem. It's a design flaw that is common in many Garmin units (including the Edge).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    Send it back and get a new one. Then, don't mount it on the handlebars (i.e., put it in your CamelBak). It's the crummy spring contacts inside the unit (not battery bounce) that's the problem. It's a design flaw that is common in many Garmin units (including the Edge).
    Thanks.

I use it to navigate while riding so putting it in my camelbak is not an option.
    i thought about, somehow, creating a spongy mount or something that will absorb the shock.

Does cramming a piece of paper in the battery compartment not help?

I think this should be known somehow. It's ridiculous that a mountain bike navigation system doesn't work on a mountain bike.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    The paper fix is a easy and quick remedy. If you google "garmin battery bounce", you will get lots of ideas for a cure.

MikeDee is right about the spring contacts. They were inherently weak so the battery was able to move (bounce, hence the name) and allow the electrical circuit to be broken. Then, as you experienced, it shuts off. If you take the time to send it back, you will be out the unit but you may get back a unit with stronger springs

If I remember right, Garmin offered some sort of fix like a rubber doughnut or something to help eliminate the movement. Of course a small amount of paper will solve the problem too.

I use mine on the bars for navigation purposes so it is subject to lots of vibration. I have not had the problem and that has been nearly 2 years, including multiple crashes and some very rough riding. I experienced the same problems as you in the beginning but with a bit of paper at each end, behind the springs, no problems

The whole "don't use it on your handlebars" argument is silly. Why would you spend $$ on a unit that has a beautiful display, only to stuff it in your pack? I just modified a Garmin mount so that I could put mine on my stem and keep it a bit more protected.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy
    The paper fix is a easy and quick remedy. If you google "garmin battery bounce", you will get lots of ideas for a cure.

...with a bit of paper at each end, behind the springs, no problems
    I'm just now getting this, I should put the paper behind the springs???
    I thought I was suppose to put the paper between the batteries and the lid.

Lucky me that you read this and mentioned the "behind the springs" thing :-)

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Problem with newer units?

Does anyone know if this is a problem with the newer units? I got mine at the end of last year and there are already little pieces of rubber behind the springs. The batteries seem pretty tight in there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    mine is also new but refurbished so i am uncertain as to when it was manufactured.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    teartags - could you perhaps take a picture of the rubber behind the springs?

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    if its an HCx its new enough that there should be no problem with "battery bounce." i had an issue with a similar unit turning off during rides after installing some maps, from mapsource. after monkeying with "battery bounce" and not having any luck, I figured I would start with un-doing the last thing i did, I uninstalled then reinstalled the maps and everything has been great since. No idea why, but it worked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

no camera

I don't have my good camera with me at work and I'd need it to get anything that would show you what it looks like. It's basically a small piece (as wide as the spring itself) of closed cell foam stuck to the back of the spring. It's actually a little difficult to get my batteries out because of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

What about this solution? (Link)

Hi,

A few months later, problem still occurs. I found this fix (in the links below) and wanted to hear some experience on this maybe solving the problem.

This is "surgery" solution.
    I can still replace it under warranty, but at this timeI wonder if there is any point since I heard that this issue occurs for all units.
    Thanks,
    Ben.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hesher
    Hi,

A few months later, problem still occurs. I found this fix (in the links below) and wanted to hear some experience on this maybe solving the problem.

This is "surgery" solution.
    I can still replace it under warranty, but at this timeI wonder if there is any point since I heard that this issue occurs for all units.

Thanks,
    Ben.
    I returned mine under warranty and got a refurbished unit as a replacement. On the second ride it powered off. I sent that one back and got another refurb back. I've not even mounted this one on the bike for fear that it will ruin it. I bought a Forerunner 305 at Costco and have been using it instead. I found that the etrex wasn't of much use to me anyway because of the tiny map. I'll take it if there is a good possibility that I may get lost, but even then I will take a paper map too.

Be advised that the "surgery" solution ruins the water resistance of the unit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This situation is just ridiculous. Garmin has this flaw in all of its eTrex devices and refuses to admit it.

As I do rely on this device for navigating I am left with only the choice of opening it up and fixing this issue.

Needles to say that I don't imaging buying a Garmin product in the future unless this issue is referred to explicitly by them and fixed.

F.Y.I - In the last service request I made they actually suggested I stick a foam or rubber behind the battery contacts. First time I hear that they don't completely deny the issue.