mtbr member

Viewing your Garmin Edge data on larger map.

**UPDATE EASY SOLUTION POST 13**

I'm sure there's a thread on this somewhere but I couldn't find it after a brief search.

My issue was that my garmin edge 500 was giving me horrible data (I thought) as it looked like it was recording every minute instead of second.

It was so bad that I was just sitting compiling a letter to Garmin with some screen shots of my data (from the "Garmin Analyze/Player" map) that looked as if I was flying through houses and strip malls when I noticed that the map on "Garmin Analyze/Details" (the small one) was dead on perfect.
    In fact it was spot on in the woods, in ravines and fast winding trails... Awesome but the bloody map is so small.

This is a cut and paste of my ride yesterday at a Canada Day celebration from "Analyze/Player"
    Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-zz2.jpg

Same ride same overlay in "Analyze/Details"
    Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-11zz.jpg

The reason I never noticed the "good" map before was that it was tough to see so I'd view on the larger map in "Player" and assumed that "data was data" from this unit.

So I suppose my main question here is "Is there a way to view my data on a large map while I can see my 1second recorded coordinates on an interactive map?"

Thanks and again, sorry. I know this has likely come up before.
    Last edited by chuckeieio; 07-09-2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Add update

As you can see, Garmin uses simplification algorithms depending on how you view the file. Unfortunately, it does not offer a full screen view.

If you want to view everything on a bigger map, you will need to use a different service to upload your data.

Strava's interactive maps are a little bigger, but other services do offer full screen maps. I use GMap4 for that, but you have to host your files somewhere that you can direct link to them. I have my own web server for that, but if you do not, you'll have to find something that will work. Other services might give you that functionality, but I don't know of any offhand.

mtbr member
    Just installed Garmin BaseCamp on Saturday. I haven't have much time to spend on it but can see the 1 sec recorded coordinates. Can click a track and view on Google Earth as the images show below.

edge 800 Saturdays ride
    up then down Lawrence rd
    BaseCamp
    Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-ashley-basecamp-closeview-cropped.jpg

along the stopbank and crossing over the bridge
    Google Earth birds eye view
    Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-ashleybridge-birdeye.jpg

along the stopbank and crossing over the bridge
    Google Earth Street view
    Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-ashleybridge-street-street-view.jpg

Into Ashley Forest
    Google Earth bird eye view
    Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-ride2ashley.jpg

Samsung S2 phone
    Hanmer 8hr race
    Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-whole-race-view-google-earth.jpg
    Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-hanmer8hr-low-view-google-earth.jpg
    Street view crossing road
    Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-haner8hr-crossing-road.jpg
    Self employed picture framer, selling the odd cycle part/light as a sideline
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

stopbank? what is that? a levee?

mtbr member
    Yes, had to Google levee as wasn't sure if it's the same .... dike (or dyke), embankment, floodbank or stopbank is an elongated naturally occurring ridge or artificially constructed fill or wall, which regulates water levels

mtbr member
    They were needed 2 weeks ago. I normally use the bridge 10km upstream but floodwaters has taken out one of it's piers. Water table's up high and taking a while for water to recede. Geo tagged photos can be added to Adventures created in BaseCamp.

Couple of my geo tagged photos from Saturday's ride. 1st one is showing one of our stopbanks in my home town
    Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-img_20130629_122248.jpg Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-img_20130629_124443.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I recommend Google Sites for free file hosting. It works fine with Gmap4 and I use it myself. If you download the Gmap4 Help file and search it on Google Sites you will find step-by-step instructions.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_help.pdf

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    If you want to view everything on a bigger map, you will need to use a different service to upload your data.

Strava's interactive maps are a little bigger, but other services do offer full screen maps. I use GMap4 for that, but you have to host your files somewhere that you can direct link to them. I have my own web server for that, but if you do not, you'll have to find something that will work. Other services might give you that functionality, but I don't know of any offhand.

Quote Originally Posted by dereknz View Post
    Yes, had to Google levee as wasn't sure if it's the same .... dike (or dyke), embankment, floodbank or stopbank is an elongated naturally occurring ridge or artificially constructed fill or wall, which regulates water levels
    stopbank is a word I've never seen. where are you from?

dikes and embankments, IME, are artificially constructed and serve to confine water in managed wetland systems (usually in constructed wetlands or restored wetlands) and allow managers to move water from cell to cell as desired so they tend to have gates, and sometimes pumps.

Levees or floodbanks are constructed along rivers (though in untouched river systems, levees can also occur naturally), usually in conjunction with straightening, in an attempt to confine floodwaters. In reality, all they end up doing is sending the floodwater problem downstream and cutting a river's floodplain off from the river system. One of my local mtb trails is built along an old, unmaintained levee.

mtbr member
    NZ in the Canterbury Plains, you don't hear the word levees used here. The Canterbury Plains is flood prone so we have a lot of stopbanks alongside rivers.
    the Waimakarari River one of the main rivers on the plains the stopbanks were built back in the Great Depression has been designed if the floodwater was to breach the stopbank it would do so on the north side and flood the plains in the north through our town of Kaiapoi to save the city of Christchurch.

Image from Google Earth of last night's club ride shows the northern end of the Canterbury Plains (North Canterbury)
    Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-wed-night-club-ride.jpg Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-canterbury-plains.jpg

that makes sense you're in an entirely different country.

levee comes from a French word, and the part of the USA (the Mississippi River valley) where levees are most widely used was settled by the French before the English got there. there are quite a few French words here. Many French place names, etc.

mtbr dismember

Google Earth

Export your Garmin Connect file to Google Earth. It shows every single second recorded on the map. If it's a big file and you have slow computer it may take a while to load.

mtbr member
    Thanks fellas, I appreciate the experience.

I have Google Earth on my home computer (working out of town until this weekend) and I'll try that first when I get home.
    I'll also give the file hosting a try with GMap4. Thanks for all the detailed information on that. I will give it a more thorough look this weekend.

It's a little disappointing that Garmin won't render this with a larger more interactive map. I also noticed that the small map has a ton of lesser known trails marked on it that I'd like to explore farther.

Cheers
    Charlie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Export your Garmin Connect file to Google Earth. It shows every single second recorded on the map. If it's a big file and you have slow computer it may take a while to load.
    Christ it's actually that easy. I can't believe i missed this. For everyone else I'll post some pics.
    I'm going to try Garmin basecamp also as suggested above
    Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-11111-2.jpg

Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-22222.jpg

Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-2227.jpg

Viewing your Garmin Edge data.-22gg7.jpg

Going to see if I can remove the waypoint bubbles like Dereknz. Might need basecamp first.