DFL>DNF>DNS

Viewing waypoints on a course, Garmin 705

Here's what I'm experiencing. I have a Garmin Edge 705, use Topofusion for GPS transfer, etc. I'm riding the AZT300 next week and have the current track simplified down to 16000 points. I can upload the track to the 705 and view it & more importantly to me, navigate it as a course. In Topofusion, I've gone through and added a few POI's, water stops, food stops, etc. I've linked each waypoint to the AZT300.gpx file. I've also uploaded the waypoint file to the 705.

Here's where it gets sketchy, both the track & waypoint file are uploaded as .tcx files into the GPX directory, I cut/paste them into the Courses folder, but when I go to view the courses I see the AZT300 file (again, it loads fine), but the waypoint file is just a bunch of garbage ASCII characters?? Is that correct? Am I doing something wrong with the waypoint file when i upload it? or is there a specific sequence I should load the files? I was under the assumption that as long as the track & waypoint files were uploaded, all I had to do was navigate the route and my POI's would be visible.

Any help or ideas would be welcome!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

yes. you are doing something wrong. you cannot put waypoints and tracks into the same .gpx file. They go to different places. Put the track you want to follow in one file. Put your waypoints in a different one. Upload them separately.

mtbr member
    Place your waypoints into a GPX file and copy the file into the 705's GPX directory. At the next power-up the waypoints will be loaded. The waypoints are independent of any course or route. Any time you look at the map the waypoints will be displayed.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Hmmm, I get what you are saying, but I thought I was doing this already? In Topofusion when a waypoint is added, the popup window gives you a pulldown menu 'file to add waypoint to', I then select my AZT300 file and add the point. After adding all POI's I upload the AZT300 file as a course, it finishes. I then select the AZT300 file again and upload the waypoint file by selecting that radio button option. So, are you saying that is not correct?

When I'm creating my POI's should I not be selecting the AZT300 file to associate the POI's to it? Should I instead be creating a 'new file' at this point to create a separate file that only contains the POI's with no other file association?

Thanks again for you input, I'll play around some more with it tomorrow as I'll have some time.

-John
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

no, that is not correct. make a file for NOTHING BUT POI's. Name it AZT300POI.gpx or something to distinguish it. any line features should be in a totally separate .gpx file.

Your computer can read a .gpx file that contains both line and point data types and distinguish them from each other, displaying them correctly. Especially a good program like Topofusion. But your GPS is dumb by comparison. It cannot distinguish different data types within the same file. It will try, and fail miserably, as you are seeing with your situation. For the purposes of your GPS, a .gpx file must contain ONLY ONE of the following data types: Waypoint, Route, or Track. Routes and Tracks are both line data types, each handled slightly differently by the GPS.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Thanks for the clarification Nate, that makes total sense now.

I fiddled around some more with it y'day. I saved all my POI's in a separate file: AZT300-POI.gpx, copied both files to the GPX directory on the 705. Went into saved rides to navigate the track and the POI's loaded up fine, but my track was truncated after 25 miles or so. I've had this problem before when putting files directly into the GPX folder, sometimes the work, sometimes they are truncated. The track had been simplified to 16000 points.

So, I went back in and deleted the track from the GPX directory, but left the waypoint file there. I uploaded the track as a .tcx file and put it in the Courses folder. Fired up the 705, went into courses & selected 'do course'. The full track loaded with all the POI's.

Long story short, it now works as I intended it to. The truncated file issue is a bit of a mystery to me, but it's not an issue now.

Thanks again for all your help. Now I just have to get to the finish line!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

saved tracks have a limit of 10,000 points on most devices. Courses appear to not have that same limit. Minor quibble, I know, but these things aren't perfect. Especially older ones.

As a contingency, you might consider taking your track .gpx (non-truncated and non-simplified) and running it through GPX2IMG (a program) to make it a transparent basemap layer you can overlay on your topos just in case your course file has an issue in the field. It won't be navigable, but it will be a visual reference, at least. It can be made navigable, but requires expensive software, while GPX2IMG can be used for free.