(no longer) The Jeans Guy
    Sep 2007

VDO altimeter gone wild

I have a VDO MC 1.0+ computer, the one with the barometric altimeter. After a long winter of being garaged, the bike finally got a ride, and I found that the altimeter function is basically broken. It either stays fixed at a single altitude, or it starts wildly fluctuating and finally settles at that original altitude. (This morning it registered 3000 feet of climb in about one minute, that was pretty cool.)

The other functions (time, distance, temperature) are all working properly. I replaced the battery, to no effect. The little pinhole on the back appears unobstructed.

Has anyone seen this happen before? Is there a fix?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I'd email 'em. Their customer service has been pretty good to me in the past. I've owned mine since it was introduced and haven't had a similar issue.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

(no longer) The Jeans Guy
    Sep 2007
    Turns out resetting the computer with the AC button fixed the problem. I had avoided doing that because I didn't have the instructions and didn't relish the idea of recalibrating the wheel size. I originally couldn't find the instructions at www.vdo.com (no wonder -- that's not their web site), but once I found the real site to contact customer service, I found the instructions.

Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.