mtbr member

Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year

I purchased a smart phone towards the end of last year and entered the world of Strava. Prior to that I was using a Sigma cycle computer. I知 impressed with the extra features I now have available to me to analyze my rides, to compare my rides over segments with other riders and see places I can ride I never knew existed. I知 thinking of getting a dedicated cycle gps later this year. Currently I still use the Sigma attached to the stem to see my speed while riding and check to see what time it is, the phone is in my back pack running the Strava App. I can get 9 hours run time with the phone which includes taking photos, and texting my wife during the ride. I do have a hrm for the Sigma but find it hard to read while riding as the digits are too small for me, I知 in my 50s plus one eye that has had a retina tear years ago the scaring is starting to pull on the retina and affecting my vision. Takes longer to focus on small text/digits. I can get a hrm for the phone but prefer to keep the phone in my back pack and would like to see my heart rate during riding and do prefer to have bigger display I can just glance at to read while riding.

I have been leaning toward the Garmin Edge 500 bundle mainly for the price & size so in the last couple of days have been looking at a couple of races I have been in that Edge 500 users have posted their results on Strava and was surprised with the results of the gps points created on the map as they didn稚 seem as actuate as my phone. The displayed results are from a 4 & 8 hour race last month Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Hanmer 8hr solo mtb race. near Hanmer Springs | Times and Records | Strava

Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year-strava-android-app-derek.jpg Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year-garmin-edge-500-cody.jpg Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year-garmin-edge-500-david.jpg
    Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year-garmin-edge-500-jim.jpg Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year-garmin-edge-500-tim.jpg Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year-garmin-edge-800-richard.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year-strava-android-app-derek.jpg  

Self employed picture framer, selling the odd cycle part/light as a sideline
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

mtbr member
    The next results are from last Wednesday night race. 2 laps around the figure 8
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | McLeans mtb night race series near Christchurch | Times and Records | Strava
    out of 229 riders only 1 posted with a Edge 500 on the Strava site. Not saturated with Strava users here
    Could it be the settings on the 500s that make the gps points off compared to some of the other devices?

Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year-strava-android-app-derek.jpg Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year-garmin-edge-500-tim.jpg
    Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year-garmin-edge-510-jason.jpg Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year-garmin-edge-800-e-rob.jpg
    Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year-garmin-forerunner-310xt-justin.jpg Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year-garmin-forerunner-405-martin-.jpg
    Using Strava with Samsang S2, thinking of going dedicated gps later this year-garmin-forerunner-405-rob.jpg

mtbr dismember
    Don't know anything about the 500, but one second recording on the 800 makes a big difference.

mtbr member
    That's the sort of thing I'm hoping it is that the 500s in the races are in their default setting causing the gps points to look like they do. The three laps Richard has done with his 800 in the 4/8 hr race looks consistent as does the 9 laps from my phone. Read recently that the strava android app sample rate is 3sec intervals.

mtbr dismember

800 GPS accuracy

"Real-world data collected by the FAA show that some high-quality GPS SPS receivers currently provide better than 3 meter horizontal accuracy." Below is a spot I passed 8 times on a recent ride. The trail is perhaps 1 m wide there. Note the 5 m scale. Assuming I was in the middle of the trail the accuracy is pretty good.

Name:  GPS.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  40.5 KB

You're not going to know much unless you know the sampling interval used by each GPS.

IME, with a number of different models (Edge 705, Oregon 450, Forerunner 205, Forerunner 310XT), that it absolutely does make a difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    You're not going to know much unless you know the sampling interval used by each GPS.
    Thanks, I realize that now. Searching the internet today came across a recent posting, March 2013, with strava map images with a Garmin Edge 500 settings on "smart" mode, then set for 1 second intervals and also a Samsung S2 via strava's android app (same setup I am currently using) Improving the accuracy of Strava - Sydney Cyclist

It looks like the 4 different edge 500 riders results I have been looking at may have their garmins on the default smart mode setting.