mtbr member
    Jun 2012

New question here. Using a Bike Computer with Paper Maps - Display Lat and Long?

Do the newer Garmin bike computers, or new Cateyes, have an option to display basic Lat and Long information while in use, and without a paired smartphone?

The idea of using one of these devices with a paper map, appeals to me.

Seems like a simple feature, but I cannot find information confirming whether these devices can display geo coordinates, or not.

Thanks in advance for replies.

mtbr member
    My 810 can.
    I have to go into GPS and select "coordinates" or in my 610's case, "Where am I?". I'm not sure if it gives you a running scrolling changing list though as you move. And on what screen it would be visible on.

Both go off the GPS in the units, I don't have a smartphone. Just an iPad and that doesn't travel on a run or a bike well

getting the coordinates off of a fitness device usually involves digging through a few menus, but it's there.

if you want easy access to coordinates for paper map navigation, consider a handheld like an etrex, where many folks use them as a supplement to a paper map (especially the etrex10 which does not have enough memory for digital basemaps). The fenix would be another to consider. It is a watch-style, but more intended for general backcountry use.

I would assume other brands are similar. however it is not unheard of for a purpose-driven device like a photo datalogger to not have a coordinate readout, so I would not be surprised if some manufacturers have opted not to have such a display screen for some reason or another. A lot of folks never use a fitness GPS for navigation, so I could see someone leaving it off of one. I do not know specifically about other fitness GPS receivers, though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the replies Nate and Nakedbaby.

810 is overkill for me. Looks great, but I will not even scratch the surface of what it is capable of.

As for a handheld, been there. They are great, but not what I am after. Regarding the bike computers/gps units, Nate says "usually involves digging through a few menus, but it's there." I would think so, but need to confirm this before I buy.

Anyone else?

slow
    My Garmin Forerunner 305 has coordinates on it. You have to dig a bit, but they are there. They came in handy a few years back when I had to give the search and rescue guys and the helicopter pilot coordinates to find a buddy and fly him off the hill after he broke his femur at the hip.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've learned that the new Cateyes, Stealth 10 and 50, do not have the ability to display lat and long. Still working to confirm whether the Garmin bike computers are able to, or not.

mtbr member
    When I wanted to sync with a map I planned ahead and loaded waypoints into the GPS. Even on a breadcrumb GPS display you can see where you are relative to the waypoints. Of course the waypoints have been marked on the map before starting. So I would call that a real-time display and analog is certainly more understandable than finding/interpolating lat/long on a map grid.