mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Used both Foretrex & Edge500?

...If so, could you please compare the gpx tracks navigation caparbilities of the two models.

I read many reviews of the Edge500, but the track navigation info was not very clear.

If I upgrade to the Edge, I'd like to get at least the same navigation infomation: the track shown on the display, with adjustable zoom level (no autozoom) , and the current position - nothing more than this:

Name:  foretrex-401-03.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  23.8 KB

Can anybody confirm this will be feasible?
    Thanks in advance for your insight
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

The Foretrex and the Edge models are not in the same class. They do different things. If you want an upgraded version of what you have, the fenix is considered to be an upgrade to the Foretrex platform.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks Nate,
    in fact the Edge500 is closer to what I need (GPS based bike computer) and I like the size, bike mount and available fuctions -
    the only thing I'd like to keep of the Foretrex functions, is the basic .gpx navigation caparbilities - do you think the edge800 better suits my needs?
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

all gps receivers will give you basic trip computer functions. most of them let you customize the data fields to some extent so they display what you want. the Edge receivers do not navigate a .gpx the same way your Foretrex does because they do different things. you are going to have to play with one someone else owns to see if that will be acceptable to you.